Depeche Mode on CD...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Taylan, Oct 25, 2010.

1. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

... In general, how are the 5.1 mixes?

Also, I had asked the DVD Audio Extractor folks before, if their software can rip PAL DVDs. I had forgotten this, but it can. :D

ToEhrIsHuman and tmtomh like this.
  2. kevin5brown

Still (ahem) Catching up with Depeche Mode ... ;)

I have the 6 physical singles boxes. There are two more only available on iTunes?

The Complete Depeche Mode

George P likes this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Neat!
    Shame they are probably using the compressed remasters for boxes 1-3
    'Yet to be released' 7-8 has me interested. Maybe the boxes will finally get done

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  4. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

"The Complete Depeche Mode" isn't available anymore so no Box Set 7 or 8 on iTunes.

The first 3 boxes should all sound fine. Both the physical original 1991 and 2004 re-releases used the same mastering. 4-6 are the compressed ones. I recommend getting the old Maxi CDs especially for the MFTM-Violator period.

jamesc and c-eling like this.
  5. kevin5brown

That sucks! Not available separately?

On a related note, in Box 4, I did figure out those 1st 4 live tracks are also on 101 ... :)

6. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

No,they are not available separately. These were just part of the complete DM iTunes package from around 2006 that was deleted years ago.

Yes,all these 4 live tracks were taken from 101 (box 4 contains a slightly edited version of Everything Counts though).

kevin5brown likes this.
  7. c-eling

Ahh, my mistake, I thought for sure they went back and added compression to them in 04 to match box 4, thanks Marc :cheers:
    I should of looked at that link year :laugh:

Marc 74 likes this.
  8. kevin5brown

Dang. So I'm still trucking through the singles box sets. Making my own compilations. It took me 3 days to decide on which Dangerous's and Personal Jesus's I wanted to keep from disc 23. Now I'm on to disc 24, and there are 6 Enjoy the Silences to decide between! ;)

c-eling likes this.
  9. So are Boxes 4-6 terrible as compared to the remastered tracks only available on the dvd disc included on the 2006-present deluxe sets? I know, 5.1 vs. redbook, but, if 4-6 was all you had, should you track down the individual singles post haste?

10. c-eling

DR wise about the same for this one.
    Kaleid Box DR-8
    Kaleid Violator Deluxe DR-8
    My Joy (Slowslide) DR-7 Faith Deluxe
    My Joy (Slowslide) DR-6 Box

Original
    Kaleid DR 13
    My Joy (Slowslide) DR 12
    As you can see the dynamics have been almost cut in half.
    For especially Violator and Faith I'd at least track down your favorites on the old singles. Modern compression starts to creep in by the time Ultra is released.
    Interesting however for the Home single.
    US-DR-7
    Euro DADC-DR-5
    Box DR-5

Gems-A-Bems, jamesc, Yost and 2 others like this.
  11. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

you know that the UK has lived their lives without "But Not Tonight" closing Black Celebration, right?

HiFi Guy 008 and c-eling like this.
  12. c-eling

Well, they did get the extended mix in 86 :winkgrin:
    [​IMG]

13. TheSaltman

TheSaltman Heaven or Las Vegas?

Well, if you ask me, it's probably for the better. Don't get me wrong i love But Not Tonight, but "New Dress" is the perfect dark ending for such a dark album ;)

jamesc likes this.
  14. StevenC

The extended version is great, too.

15. StevenC

I disagree. Sometimes the UK version simply isn't better. Johnny Marr, for example, admitted that the Smiths debut is much better with "This Charming Man" kicking off side 2 and How Soon Is Now? fits nicely onto Meat is Murder. Meat Is Murder is a 9.5/10 with it and an 8/10 without it. But then we never got Hatful of Hollow here until the 90s and there was no internet shopping to buy import albums in 1984-1985.

I know Martin made the decision to leave it off Black Celebration. Sire in the US wanted it to be the lead single off of Black Celebration and Martin wanted it relegated to a b-side. I love Stripped and all of that but I think BUT NOT TONIGHT, especially the extended version, as someone who lived through it, it's a pure f--ng classic. New Dress is great too, and after watching all of the philanthropy Diana initiated post-Charles, it appears the lyric doesn't fit her reputation. She cared more about the bomb blast victims and the 13 year old girl than she did the dress...

davers, Man at C&A and c-eling like this.
  16. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

I agree on This Charming Man (although I think the UK cassette pre-dates the US releases, and that has TCM too), but disagree on How Soon Is Now?, which belongs on Hatful for my money. Notable that in the Marr remasters, he added TCM to the debut but used the standard UK track listing for Meat.

It's not criticising Diana - it's criticising the media. All these terrible things are happening, but the papers are leading with Princess Di wearing a new dress. The whole song is about how media can select which facts are presented, and thus change people's point of view/vote. A very real thing with the Murdoch-owned papers in the UK - something we're used to now, but which was quite new (or at least, more overt for the first time) in the Thatcher era 80s.

17. StevenC

I appreciate the explanation and you are correct; I got it wrong. I do the same thing, too, with The Smiths song "Paint a Vulgar Picture". Nothing in the song suggests it's about an artist choosing to re-release their own work or compile a greatest hits of songs they created. It's about being manipulated in life and others trying to cash in on your art after you've gone. Yet, the cheapos keep posting in Amazon reviews "Best of, Most of! Where is my tacky badge!" in every single Smiths or Morrissey compilation listing known to man as if it's clever. Sorry I've on about this. You setting me right on the lyrics just reminded me of when I do it. Also, keep in mind, in America, no one knew what the hell Hatful of Hollow was when How Soon is Now came out here.

18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I think all the 5.1 mixes are excellent and well worth having.

wolfram likes this.
  19. Beefalo

Beefalo Living the high life. Bungalow ranch style....

I got started real late on my multi-channel SACD addiction.
    I find that the Depeche Mode sound great on a powerful system with plenty of headroom. They sound better loud.
    I just picked up the EU Black Celebration SACD in excellent shape for €46.00 delivered to USA. Took awhile to find this one.

20. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

I have Ultra, Music for the Masses and Playing the Angel on SACD. Only Playing the Angel is readily available in SACD nowadays.

I think the earlier CDs sound better where I have the original CD to do a comparison (Ultra)

21. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Playing the Angel was one of the worst loudness wars victims, but liked the songs.

If I remember well the album was recorded in 48kHz-16bit.

22. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

The SACD layer of the Playing The Angel SACD is old-skool dynamic. The Redbook layer sadly is just as loud and compressed as the regular CD.

Tsomi, c-eling and tmtomh like this.
  23. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yes, I have the SACD of Playing the Angel and the SACD layer sounds great.

Tsomi and c-eling like this.
  24. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I only own the original "greatest hits"+a d.v.d. of their promo videos!strangely enough that is more then enough for me as I'm abnormally a completest when it comes to most things new wave!

c-eling likes this.
  25. TheSaltman

TheSaltman Heaven or Las Vegas?

The album itself has a fuzzy sound on its own, which makes the extra compression completely unnecessary, determined this once I got a chance to hear the uncompressed version. I have the SACD/DVD, but sadly no way to listen to the SACD layers as of now.