Depeche Mode - Rate and Discuss Your Favorite Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 6, 2016.

1. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

It's one of their best sounding records. But it's the songwriting that is a bit weak. "Dream On" and "I Feel Loved" both just felt tired and predictable at the time, and "Freelove" required massive remixing.

2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Agreed - MLG admitted to writers block and one could argue he never quite recovered from it completely.

Disagree about “Dream On” though since I really like that one.

George P likes this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I like it too.

JeffMo likes this.
  4. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Because DM have been on a slow downward trajectory since Alan left (despite pulling it together for a last blast with Ultra) it was inevitable that Exciter should be held in higher regard now compared to what came after. Just as it may have seemed somewhat of a disappointment at the time, we didn’t realize how much more disappointing the succeeding albums were going to be.

buxetehude, jamesc and George P like this.
  5. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

I'm trying to run back through DM albums over the next few months. I won't pick their best albums right now, because some I just don't go back to much even though they would be considered in their top five. So I would need to listen through their discography again.

I will answer it a different way. I will state the album I have listened to the most over the last ten years. I thought at first it was probably Playing the Angel or Black Celebration, but realized, thinking back, that Ultra is the album most listened to by me for the past ten years . I give it a 5/5.

6. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Ultra is a great album and a great sounding album too!

7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I was told recently that I was harsh about DM’s recent output. However, after watching a vintage synth pop gig from 1986 I stand by my criticisms of the current rock band version “Dave Gahan and the Depeche Mode”...

8. Gems-A-Bems

They’re definitely not the same band now and I would ageee they are currently not as compelling. But different strokes, as they say

9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

It won't happen but I'd fire Gordeno and Eigner and have Gore leave all guitars at home next tour.

10. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

but guitars are all over Violator and SOFAD. One of those albums featured Alan Wilder but loved the guitars...

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm aware of that, and could live with those songs/albums actually getting a rest from the setlist. :cool:

Have you seen DM live in post Alan era? MLG plays guitar on 80% of the songs. I'd love to hear him focus on using analog synths again.

Fletch needs something to do, so put the guitar sound samples on one of his synth triggers. :D

12. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

Yeah. I've seen them on each tour apart from the Exciter tour (if they toured for that record?)
    Maybe what you need is one of those tours where they play an album all the way through... and you can go see the Speak and Spell tour. Personally, I may be at the other end of the spectrum. I have no interest in hearing "Just Can't Get Enough" live for a while...
    My favorite stuff to see them do live are actually songs like "Clean". I wish they did stuff like that more... and more rarities like "Death's Door".

Pop_Zeus and SweetTea like this.
  13. Gems-A-Bems

They definitely toured for Exciter. Their tours aren’t the problem, it’s their producers and writing. (In my opinion)

14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Interesting Steven - I would love a complete album show featuring Some Great Reward or Black Celebration actually.

I’m a fan of Alan era, not Vince one! :)

George P and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  15. SweetTea

SweetTea Forum Resident

I stand by my statement that your opinion is harsh. If I'm not mistaken you enjoyed Spirit as well as the tour.
    Where we agree is there could be more synth usage. Either a longer part of the show with Christian taking a break or an entire drum less tour but I wouldn't like it permanently. I think if that happened people would realize they miss the live drumming.
    Not sure they could get rid of Gordeno because someone needs to play those parts. Would be nice if Fletch could but it may be above his abilities. I wouldn't be surprised if Dave thinks that since Fletch has to stay that he gets Christian then.

JeffMo likes this.
  16. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

30 years ago today, DM release the album "101" recorded at the Pasadena Rose Bowl in California it documents the end of the “Music for the Masses” tour.

17. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Quite an enjoyable VHS. :)
    Martin and Andy pick'n guitars and buying cassettes in Nashville!

Binni and George P like this.
  18. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I remember buying the album. I’m old. :(

c-eling likes this.
  19. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Black Celebration 4/5
    Music For The Mases 4.5/5
    Violater 5/5
    Songs Of Faith and Devotion 3.5/5
    Ultra 4/5
    Exciter 3.5/5

20. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Just means you had more time than some of us (not me, Im old too) to enjoy DM. :thumbsup:

Yost likes this.
  21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I spun it last night - great album on headphones!

Pop_Zeus and jamesc like this.
  22. Gems-A-Bems

Holy crap. That means it will soon be time for Disintegration’s 30th anniversary, since it came out that spring (Unless I’m misremembering, since I am apparently really old now).

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Great interview with MLG at Moogfest by Daniel Miller!

24. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

The Black Celebration-Music For The Masses-Violator trio deserves all the roses everybody is throwing - it's one of the great album runs of the 1980s, with the band at its absolute peak. Having said that, I rank Some Great Reward just as highly. It's the Depeche record I play most often and it sounds fantastic, even after all these years.

25. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

SOFAD
    Violator
    MFTM

..Ultra wasn’t bad, the only thing since then I’ve been able to enjoy somewhat was Delta Machine.

They have never been quite the same without Alan Wilder on board.

George P likes this.