Depeche Mode vinyl dissappointment

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marknoir, Jun 25, 2016.

1. marknoir

marknoir Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just bought "Violator" and "Ultra" 180 g vinyl reissues... Crapola. On top of really mediocre sound, literally - on top - constant surface noise. Sticking with my CD of "Ultra" and cassette tape - yes, tape - of "Violator".

2. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Seems there were some issues with Ultra, forum member Ben Adams had some problems if I recall, I have a first run re-issue US 2007 that's flawless, I skipped Violator as I highly enjoy the US pre-remaster compact disc
    For Ultra, the SACD is the way to go, it's the only digital format that contains no clipping, (peaks hitting -0)

hutlock likes this.
  3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

My Ultra has a lot of ticks and pops, but my Violator reissue sounds wonderful.

pwhytey likes this.
  4. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

Which reissues are you cats referring to? The Rhino/WB reissues? if yes, the 2007/08 or 2014 editions?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I think there were also EU versions done by MOV. Long threads on here about non-fill and surface noise on a lot of the U.S. Rainbo pressed Rhino reissues of many of the albums. The only one I took a chance on was MFTM. For the rest I'm sticking with CDs, don't feel like dealing with non-fill or paying $40 for import copies.

6. Mateo Sanboval

Yeah, I saw the MOV pressings as well, but I have easier access to the Rhino reissues so I am more curious about those. Which MFTM do you have and how does it sound?

patient_ot likes this.
  7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I have the U.S. Rhino, bought maybe 1.5 years ago so whatever is the most recent pressing. It was pressed at Rainbo and I probably got lucky with my copy because it sounds nice. As you probably know Rainbo is very hit or miss. You could buy five copies of the same exact pressing and they could all be defective or you might end up with one that is acceptable.

8. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

Will they ever release the maxi singles from the early 80's on cd again?

9. Mateo Sanboval

True enough. I don't know who pressed the 07/08 reissues, but I believe they are largely well thought of.

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Those might have been Rainbo too, don't remember. For awhile almost everything Rhino was putting out was pressed there. In the last couple years they started shifting some production to MPO and Optimal.

11. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I doubt it. I would guess those are all download material now.

And @marknoir : get the original CD of Violator. You won't be disappointed.

Gibson67 likes this.
  12. Thom01

Thom01 Forum Resident

13. Gems-A-Bems

Cheap, too. I didn't know about that one.

14. gururyan

gururyan Forum Resident

I have the original CD, but have wanted it on vinyl for a long, long time. I'm speaking of my favorite DM album, Violator. I've heard bad stuff for a long time but never new of this '16 EL version.

15. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

2014 reissues for me Mateo.

I recently cleaned and played my copy of Ultra and gave side 2 an extra clean. It was noticeably less noisy in terms of ticks and pops than previous spins.

Mateo Sanboval and c-eling like this.
  16. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I have an original 1990 UK vinyl copy - I wonder if the 2016 re-issue is worth getting - any chance it'll be an improvement?

17. c-eling

Imagine the 2006 remaster with less compression

JP Christian likes this.
  18. JP Christian

I have original 1990 UK and US CDs, plus a 1990 UK original vinyl - all sound excellent, in fact, the difference is subtle but the US CD has different mastering to the UK and it has the edge - hard to believe as the album was recorded digitally, but I do hear a difference in mastering.

The 2016 vinyl edition I can get for less than £15 delivered, so I may just take a risk...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    c-eling likes this.
  19. Gems-A-Bems

Violator was recorded digitally?

20. Mateo Sanboval

Thanks, Jeff. Good to know. I'm pulling the trigger on the 2014 Rhino MFTM, Black Celebration, and Songs of Faith and Devotion. If folks are interested, I'll report back once if given them a spin.

JeffMo and c-eling like this.
  21. c-eling

Possibly they may have gone back to analog after the digital Masses, SPARS give's it a AAD designation. I don't have an original so I can't see if it has a cut-off

22. Gems-A-Bems

With the change in producers (from Bascombe to Flood) I think it's extremely likely that both Violator & Songs of Faith were analog recordings.

Billy Infinity and GentleSenator like this.
  23. JP Christian

Sorry, I should have said I assumed it was recorded digitally.

24. JP Christian

Incidentally, I just spotted that there's a MOV vinyl issue of Violator from 2014 - I've just ordered the (Sony?) 2016 - does anyone own both and if so, is there much difference between the two?

25. c-eling

Packaging is generally better on MOV pressings. Pressing quality can be hit or miss, comes with the format.
    They use the same 2006 24/44 remaster as the Sony

JP Christian likes this.