Dependable source of Royalty Free Music for videos

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ghostworld, Jan 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

More than once I've been burned using songs from royalty-free music sites when using songs for Youtube videos. Artists post songs which may be used royalty free, and then three years later someone purchases the rights to the song (no doubt based on it's frequency of use on YouTube) and suddenly you're supposed to hand over your profits to the now-rights holder (even though you used the song in your video when it was royalty free from the artist). Of course, you're given the chance to strip out the song you've send a week cutting and timing your video to, thanks YouTube. I got into a big email thing with an artist and a rights company over this once before and, of course, nothing was accomplished. YouTube kicks artists to the curb in these debates, backing licensing companies who are being profiteering low lifes.

Does anyone here have dependable source of royalty-free music? Even the rights to very old recordings can be snapped up by Warner, Sony, etc, if they think there's a dime in it, so you just can't depend on age determining rights usage.

I'm wondering if the Library of Congress might be a source?

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

GarageBand.

Ghostworld likes this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

Yep. The only way to be sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.