Derek and the Dominos 1st single ("Tell The Truth" b/w "Roll It Over")

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by E-Rock, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E-Rock

E-Rock I Got a Rock Thread Starter

Anyone know the story behind this single? Why was it withdrawn? Was there ever a commercial release, or was it only pressed as a promo?

Also, have the original mixes of these two tracks ever appeared on CD? How do the original mixes differ from the remixes found on the Crossroads box?

Attached Files:

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

There are stock copies of this. They were sold for 2 days in record stores before they were recalled. Promos of this are a little easier to find for once. 1 pressing run of stock copies for sure.

3. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

I've got a stock copy. They're around.

4. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

Weren't these two songs recorded during the All Things Must Pass sessions with Phil Spector, with George Harrison on guitar & backup vocals on "Roll It Over". I think this much faster version of "Tell The Truth" was included on The History of Eric Clapton compilation.

5. E-Rock

Thanks guys! A little further 'net searching turned up this page with pics:

http://hjem.get2net.dk/rene.aagaard/2-Layla.htm

Also, I found this quote from pp. 153-154 of the book, 45 RPM: The History, Heroes & Villains of a Pop Music Revolution by Jim Dawson and Steve Propes:

Okay, so that's the "story." How about the question regarding original mixes vs. remixes? And have the original mixes ever appeared on CD???

6. musicman9999

musicman9999 VDC Vinyl & CDs

Dear E-Rock

That quote you pulled is full of inaccuracies.

Tell The Truth / Roll It Over was recorded during the Phil Spector-produced All Things Must Pass sessions; the tracks feature Eric Clapton, Bobby Whitlock, Carl Radle, Jim Gordon AND Dave Mason.

The single, released August 1970 prior to the recording of the Layla album, was immediately recalled due to dissatisfaction with the performance.

The Layla album sessions commenced late August 1970, during which Tell The Truth was re-recorded. The Layla album was produced by D&D and Tom Dowd; Phil Spector had nothing to do with the sessions.

I don't believe George Harrison ever recorded Roll It Over; though he did record Let It Roll!

Both sides of the original single Tell The Truth / Roll It Over were remixed in 1987 for inclusion in the Crossroads Box Set. (The songs were originally recorded to 8 track.)

Regards,

Bill Levenson

7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Who better to tell us than the guy who produced the box set. Thanks Bill :)

Mike

MoonPool and John Fell like this.
  8. E-Rock

Thank you, Bill, for the clarification! I've always enjoyed these two tracks from the Crossroads set (which I bought in '88 at age 14!). Can you tell us why the decision was made to remix them, instead of including the original mixes? I've never heard the original single mixes - I'm simply curious about the differences.

Thanks again! (I love this forum!) :)

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I've got the promo. A Spectorized mess.

10. musicman9999

E-Rock

The original mixes were pretty awful.

To be honest, the 8 track multis weren't much better either - oddly, Spector drenched the tracks in reverb and phasey effects - which were printed to multi track this way! Also, if I remember correctly, only 4 or 5 tracks were actually used.

The '87 remixes were an attempt to improve on the original mixes - if they succeeded, it was by a small margin!

I believe you can find the orig mix of TTT on the 2LP set from the early 70s, History Of Eric Clapton.

Regards,

Bill

11. E-Rock

Again, thank you for the detailed info, Bill. Fascinating.

12. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I think The Spector mix rocks - I love it - wall of manic sludge

13. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

Wow, thanks again Mr. Levenson for providing this info.

I've always prefered this version of TTT above the long one.
    But something about the sound of this track on the crossroads box is not right to my ears. Digital noise reduction, I believe.
    The version on the History of EC is definitely lofi (too) but doesn't have those typical NR artifacts.

14. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

There is a b**t of "Roll It Over" with George. Kinda awkward to think they were singing about the same woman??

15. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

'Roll It Over' is an absolute gem. A real lost Clapton classic that deserves more attention. In my alltime top 5 Clapton tunes. I fell in love with it as soon as I bought the Crossroads boxset back in '88.

The version of 'Tell The Truth' on the A-Side is naff. The slowed down version on LAOALS is much better.

16. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member

Apparently 'The History Of Eric Clapton' had a (semi-legit?) release on CD in Japan in the very early days of CD.... it appears on Ebay very rarely, but there are also fakes in circulation.
    JohnnyH

17. musicman9999

Prof Stoned -

Digital noise reduction artifacts on the 1987 TTT remix?

Nope - what you are hearing are the various (and heavy handed) phasing effects Spector added to the drum tracks. There was no way to work around them! They are less obvious on the original single mix, but are still there.

Regards,

Bill

lukpac likes this.
  18. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member

This one up at the moment, at a price

'ERIC CLAPTON HISTORY 1972 JAPAN 2CD w/OBI P58W 25024/5'

19. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Thanks, Bill. I love both these songs, and it's comforting to know that the versions we hear on Crossroads are likely as good as they're ever going to sound. I think they sound just dandy, Spectorized or not.

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Bill,

Thank you for a superb box set on "Crossroads". Still one of my benchmarks for boxed sets through the years. Still gives me much pleasure.

21. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

+1, from the horse's mouth... and great single it is/was... Roll It Over baby....

:cheers:

22. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have two stock copies...

23. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Me too. I was expecting the LP to sound like this:D Imagine my surprise when Layla followed instead! An altogether DIFFERENT kind of sludge! Here's my copy:

Attached Files:

• dd1.jpg
      dd1.jpg
      File size:
      82 KB
      Views:
    • dd2.jpg
      dd2.jpg
      File size:
      84.3 KB
      Views:
  24. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Wait a minute... Is that thing really in stereo? Is it the same mix as on History Of Eric Clapton? Cause mine is mono & is a much bigger echo-fest than any of the stereo mixes I have heard.:confused:

25. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Hey Larry,did either side get played in NYC??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.