Derek & The Dominos -In Concert Question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by musicdav24, May 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Sounds like a Vox Clyde McCoy but who knows

Umbari likes this.
  2. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

or, better yet, one of the select few with Duane Allman

3. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

I am just listening to, and comparing various releases and bootlegs of the Fillmore East performances. It's difficult to find a 'best' version to be honest. However, it's a great night spend.

The Complete Fillmore Tapes (Paddington, 2015 edition) - is most complete with part of the 10/23 early show. Probably the best you can get since it has fantastic sound (although it sounds less clear and muffled) and because of the early 10/23 tracks.
    Fillmore Double Night (Mid Valley) - sounds identical sound to the above, minus the 10/23 early tracks so not essential.
    Empire State of Mind (Mid Valley) - sound very different mix, vocals a bit distant but instruments more 'wide'. I think it has the tracks finally in correct order. It sounds a bit brighter. The mention of Duophonic sounds indicate it is probably EQ'ed a lot since it sounds most different (different mix?) to all other versions of this. Too bad the bootleggers don't mention their lineage.

I also used the In Concert Polydor German 2CD and Live at the Fillmore 2CD to compare the tracks. After a night of A/Bing, I can't get the definite version to choose. Any suggestions or other recommendations?

Bossyman likes this.
  4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Unfortunately, the boots are mostly crummy, between poor sources, poor EQ, and noise reduction. Not to mention edits, incorrect order for 10/24, and no 10/24 version of Bottle Of Red Wine.

Unfortunately, the complete existing performances remain officially unreleased.

mattazing and Umbari like this.
  5. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Would there ever be a complete Derek concert reissue ?

6. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

I certainly hope so! This is on top of my 'wish-list'.

rockclassics likes this.
  7. moss

moss Forum Resident

Was listening to this today, again, as I seem to have an addiction to this currently. Is there something up with the MFSL @10:10-10:20 of Tell the Truth? Thought my headphones were having a hard time but I'm hearing it via speakers as well, not sure if it's a dropout or some distortion going on? I haven't checked the Polydor.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That's on the mix tapes.

moss likes this.
  9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Somehow I missed this. Is the 10/24 BORW the correct performance, or just the 10/23 performance again? Is Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out unedited?

Is the Bill Graham intro present on 10/23?

Only one set of mixes, other than those made for Live At The Fillmore.

10. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

yes, it made me look also, found out I have the SACD and Gold disc.....didn't know that....any opinions on which one is the better sounding? Just curious...

11. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Are you thinking of the studio album? I don't think there's a SACD release of "In Concert."

12. Mike Campbell

I have my opinion, just wondering what others thought..playing the SACD right now...

13. Mike Campbell

oopss.....sorry....need to be more careful in here.....I was referring to the layla and other assorted Love songs CD's......trying to do tax work, and do this at the same time...not a good combo.

14. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

As to your comment re sound quality, I have the 4 cd mid valley boot and I have a hard time distinguishing between the boot and the official releases. The boot and the official (polydor) that I have is obviously sourced identically due to a prominent glitch present in both. I'll have to check out the Paddington release

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Prominent glitch?

Other than Let It Rain and (on most boots) Crossroads from 10/23 late, which originate from Live At The Fillmore, everything comes from the mixes made in 1972 for In Concert.

Every boot I've heard has extensive noise reduction on the 10/24 tracks, rendering them brittle and lifeless; In Concert does not have that issue.

16. Mike Campbell

Derek - Love songs, is so good.....Love Duane and Eric, getting intertwined.....and weaving back and forth. brilliant.

17. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Just recently picked up a minty 1st UK RSO pressing and it sounds fantastic.
    Had not heard this live album before now but I'm very impressed.

Rickchick likes this.
  18. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

I like Discogs. I think they provide a valuable resources. BUT...look at Derek And The Dominos. Then look at Derek & The Dominos. You get different results. I understand the reasons for it most of the time, but this one - wow.

19. Mike Campbell

Not in concert, but the assorted love songs editions....just spun the SACD and then the Mobil Fidelity version. to see which sounds better to me...almost without question, the Mobile Fidelity wins by a mile....shocked myself...still amazes me, how much difference there can be.....so much for SACD being the be all, end all.

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Which SACD?

jhm likes this.
  21. Mike Campbell

Layla - and other assorted love songs.. Derek and the Dominoes ...was issued in 2004. With Duane of course.....The Mobile Fidelity gold issue, same issue, has much cleaner and crisper sound....

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That disc wasn't very good. Noise reduction in places and arguably questionable EQ.

An SACD is only as good as the mastering that goes into it.

rxcory and Mike Campbell like this.
  23. Mike Campbell

I know....the SACD says DSD digital....the Goldie says digital audio analog whatever....the Mobile has crisper sound...

24. Further

Further Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the In Concert LP included in the Eric Clapton - The Live Album Collection vinyl box?

Considering picking it up but wondering what the quality of the pressing is and how it sounds.

25. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

I think the MFSL lp is a 200g Anadisc. Does anyone know if this is comparable to the gold cd, or is it smiley-faced like some other earlier MFSL lps?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.