Designated Survivor (ABC)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Sep 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Who?

2. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I really enjoyed this show last year and up through the first part of this year.

But ever since they came back from that long winter break I am really struggling to pay attention for an entire episode. Although I’m not really sure what else they can do with it. The original premise was fascinating and captivating, but it seems like the writers don’t know where to go now.

Silken and Vidiot like this.
  3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

Agreed. There's not really any story elements left relating to the original premise, other than the fact that he's still in office.

Silken likes this.
  4. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

nosliw likes this.
  5. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Sweetness!

6. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

So that's what an impeachment looks like?

Continuity prob? - Wells shows up bloodstained at the White House, in a green grass Washington, when she had just acquired the blood a few minutes before in a snow-laden scene?

7. Hopefully that's' the end of Agent Wells. Her character was ridiculous.

8. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I hope Kim Raver sticks around for a third season if there is one. All we need is Chloe O'Brian and a clock, and there you go 24 fans. Just get that perimeter set up dammit!

tommy-thewho, Vidiot and John B Good like this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Open up another socket!

10. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

I'm sorry, but I have a serious problem with a show that has a Canadian becoming President of the United States. And now the show is bringing another Canadian (Michael J. Fox) on board to validate him?! Feh!

11. The characters aren't Canadian. Why would anyone care if the actors are?

12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Must be Trudeau-hatred. Totally understandable. haha

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Aaaaaaand... CANCELLED.

Low Ratings, Behind-the-Scenes Turnover Felled ABC’s ‘Designated Survivor’

Very interesting story on the rapid turnover of showrunners and the screaming arguments between the star, the producers, and the writing staff. I don't think it was (as we say) "a happy set" on that series.

The problem for me was that it started as a mystery/conspiracy show, and that seemed pretty interesting. But then it started turning into a "cheap West Wing knock-off," and that's not a show I wanted to see. Apparently, the audience agreed.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  14. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I loved this show when it came out last year.

Fascinating to watch.

Keifer did a great job acting keeping it together.

Kimble Hookstraten started out great and slowly disappeared.

Killed off VP fairly quickly.

It just went off the rails badly.

I felt the same way with NBC's Revolution.

Great start to a great premise and slowly sinks in. Season 2 was darn impossible to watch.

Silken, nosliw, Vidiot and 1 other person like this.
  15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I agreed after about a handful of episodes in S1.

16. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I'm glad it is cancelled. Now I don't have to keep watching it and still asking myself why?

I put in the time in the first season not to miss any episde. Then in season 2, I watched until Christmas break but not as intensely as season 1. Then when it came back in March after the long break, I had it on TV as background sound and not really paying attention to it as I was on my Computer doing other things (browsing, games, etc.) Just like all the other shows of this type, attention span gets shorter and shorter as it progresses (Black List, Person of Interest, etc.)

John B Good and Vidiot like this.
  17. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I’m not surprised at all that it’s been cancelled. As much as I loved it last season, I find I haven’t even bothered to watch the last couple of episodes. I was very disappointed at how boring it had become. I’m sorry to see it go, but it really turned into a directionless mess.

tommy-thewho likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's a shame when they take a basically good idea and then subject it to "creativity by committee," where a whole bunch of people have a voice in pushing and pulling the show in different directions at once. You can make a good case that some of the best TV series in the history of television -- and I'd put The Sopranos, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, West Wing, Downton Abbey, and Better Call Saul on that short list -- were largely overseen by a single person who had a large staff under him. This was a rare case where the star of the show had unprecedented say in approving scripts, approving producers, and approving writers, and I don't think it helped at all.

MoonPool likes this.
  19. I'm definitely one of those who felt the series as a whole lost something after its recent break... Since its return, I've found Designated Survivor is more something to have running in the background while I'm working on various projects. At one point, it almost seemed like the entire show was a thinly veiled attempt at a backdoor pilot for a spin-off based around Hannah Wells, as her story arc became quite dominant for a while. By contrast, President Kirkman's leadership increasingly became an excuse to take shots at the real life current administration, complete with the questioning of "Tom's" mental competency. While I'm a massive fan of the characters played by Keifer Sutherland and Kal Penn, the rest* won't be as missed. If only they'd retained some degree of consistency behind the scenes and kept focus on the drama of that one scene when the reality sets in for Tom while he's sat in the back of a car - that was by far one of my favourite television moments of the last few years! Thankfully, there are a few episodes left to be shown on Netflix here in the UK, though it won't be easy for me to continue watching knowing it's Already Been Cancelled (yes, that subtle pun was very much intended). Does anyone know if we'll at least get some kind of definitive conclusion, or does the second season end on a more typical cliffhanger?

*Alright, I'll admit that I'm loving Michael J. Fox in his guest appearance role.

20. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

Very disappointing to hear that it's been cancelled! I enjoyed the heck out of Season One, and was enjoying Season Two until its "hiatus." I'd still be a candidate for watching a third season if there were to be one.

I wonder what sort of (IMO) third-rate piece of dung of a comedy will replace it?

21. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

A revival or remake of a past sitcom?

Maybe something called "2 Rich Girls". ;)

22. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Glad it's going away. This last season was a total disaster.

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  23. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

We've been pretty faithful in catching these episodes as they aired, although last season was tougher as we were watching them live. This season I've been catching them on a week's delay through our Roku, but it's not a show I really look forward to. It seems like a chore to watch them most of the time.

The show started off as something that was unique, a sort of high-concept premise. But it too soon devolved into the political intrigue of the week with seemingly normal government crap going on. The Hannah Wells FBI character was about as annoying as any character of any series has ever been. Every time they went off onto her exploits, I lost interest.

The recent episode where the cabinet was going to invoke the 25th amendment was rather interesting, though anyone could see that it wasn't really going to happen. I'm not too disappointed that the show is being cancelled. The one I really hope gets a renewal is TIMELESS.

kevywevy likes this.
  24. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

A chore indeed...

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

The saving grace here: now Italia Ricci is free to do something besides just walk through hallways wishing Aaron Sorkin were writing her lines.
    On the other hand, if she has any other hallways she'd like to walk through, hell, I'll turn the sound down if I have to...

tommy-thewho and Silken like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.