Desktop/computer speakers, audiophile recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Turnaround, Mar 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

I wanted to get recommendations for desktop speakers for a computer station, and especially audiophile options. By desktop speakers, I really mean something that avoids needing a separate amp or receiver to power the speakers, and sounds good positioned on a desk very close to the listener.

I did not realize there were many "audiophile" desktop speakers available today until I saw The Absolute Sound's recent issue with its 2015 Editors' Choice Awards. They highlighted these (ordered by lowest price first), although they are not all self-powered speakers:

AudioengineA2+ ($249)
    Focal XS Book ($299)
    B&W MM-1 ($499)
    Paradigm Shift A2 ($558-$658)
    KEF X300A ($800)
    Audience The One ($995)
    Audience 1+1 ($1800)

We've had threads about computer speakers in the past, but they are outdated by now, or were mainly about inexpensive options.

2. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I did a tour considering most of those and, while not quite meeting your no amp threshold, ended up with USB > NAD D3020 ($500) > NHT Classic 2s ($660). I am very near-field and the speakers are very close to a back wall; it is a fully enclosed design which I think is helping. I am quite happy with the combo so far. Is it pure audiophile? I don’t know, but it was all I was really looking to spend, and the amp gives me some other inputs I plan to use. It has been breaking in nicely as well, so perhaps there is a little more improvement to come.

The other ones that made it to the shortlist were the Wharfdale Diamond 10.1 ($6-700). Epos K-1 ($800). The Totem Kin mini and sub combo should be looked at ($1,200)

3. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

AudioEngine A2+ includes a USB Dac. If you can fit the larger A5+ (no DAC) that would be a great choice.

ElvisCaprice and everton like this.
  4. Jim G.

Jim G. Geezer with a nice stereo!

5. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

How about Emotiva Airmotiv4 (or 5)? Back a couple years when I was looking for the same thing, it came down to Emotiva and Audioengine. I picked Audioengine A5+ for the simple reason of having a front volume dial. They sound great but only--maybe--a tad too warm. I'm also not convinced they are that great for near field listening either, but I haven't done any side by side comparisons.

Also Polk just released these not too long ago: Polk Audio AM6510-A Hampden Powered Desktop Audio System

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

7. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

audioengine A2 speakers with audioengine D1 dac

8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I would think that the Dynaudio DBM50 should be listened to. They're marketed as studio monitors but man do they sound good.

9. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Audioengine A5+ are good.

betweentheears likes this.
  10. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

I almost forgot about JBL LSR305. If I had to do it over I would seriously consider them.

Tommy SB likes this.
  11. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I had a pair of Audioengine A5 speakers a few years ago, and they were great, until I sold them for a pair of Emotiva Airmotive 5 monitors (which do have front volume dials).

Just one man's opinion, but I felt that the Emotivas were in a completely different league, at least to my ears.

To be fair, both companies have since released updated models, so I'm not sure how they currently compete, but, I'd assume the upgraded models may be relatively comparable to their prior versions.

Audioengines act really great as a gateway drug to higher-quality listening; really ideal for college students, on a budget, living in a dorm room. Again, just my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. Budley

Budley Forum Resident

About a year ago I researched the same purchasing need as you, Turnaround.

Fortunately, I actually managed to audition several well regarded near-field monitors that were on my short list. One thing I noticed right away was that there was quite a disparity between each monitor with regard to how they sounded. None were really bad, mind you, just different. I don't know if it's some kind of near-field thing that had anything to do with it, but there are quite a few really good near-field monitors out there that sound very different from one another.

I highly recommend you audition with as much effort as possible and avoid "sight unseen", (ears unheard?) purchases like the plague. Best of luck!

13. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

I have the Audioengine A5+that I bought for my monthly poker game, and they're a killer small room dudes around a table with beers rocking out kind of speaker. The other 30 days of the month I have them as a desktop speakers at work. I don't think they work well near field, they get phasey. When I rearranged my office so they set back about four feet, they snapped back into place. If I were getting a set of desktop speakers today is probably go with the A2+ and a small sub.

hotsoup likes this.
  14. thommo

thommo Senior Member

Tannoy Reveal *02 series sound very nice (402 = 4' woofer, 502 = 5', 802=8') for very reasonable money. Designed for desktop mounting and near field monitoring (maybe the 802 not quite so near)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  15. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I'm just floating this as an idea for you, but sound bars can be practical options for PC desk set ups. They do not require an amp, just a 3.5 mm to rca cable. And they fit discretely behind the monitor. There are many excellent models out there as well, with a little research.

Chok1up likes this.
  16. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

You can take the Audience Ones off your list if self powered is a requirement. Shame to... they are probably the best choice on your list.

17. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

18. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

In that vein, there's the new AudioEngine bluetooth bar.

19. Wardsweb

Wardsweb Audio Enthusiast

I have been checking into these Mark & Daniel Maximus Opal Air4 speakers. They are wireless and can also be hardwired. They include the wireless transmitter that is not Bluetooth, built in DAC and built in amp. I have not found anyone who owns a pair but they look promising for audiophile quality streaming. http://madwirelesshifi.com/

[​IMG]

20. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

You're right, there are volume dials but I thought I read they each had to be turned up all the way to be calibrated with each other? Like with other monitors, I assumed they needed a passive volume pot or audio interface somewhere in the chain. The A5+'s are master-slave configuration, which was easier for me..

PS, I still really want to own a pair of these. It sounds like they are more accurate and better for near-field.

21. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Didn't find this to be an issue at all, in my usage, but, you may feel differently Each monitor did have independent volume pots (most all of them do, like my current Focal CMS65s). I always leave the volume all the way up on the PC and, in this case, controlled the Airmotiv volume as I saw fit when I used them...

Hope that helped. Haven't had coffee as of yet...

22. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

A lot of it depends on how much desk real estate you have. I really like the Audioengine A2 speakers because they are so small. If you get them, the stands are overpriced but necessary to get the tweeters angled at something approaching ear level. They are the best made speaker that I have ever owned. Went through a truck bomb in Afghanistan and still work like a charm.

I auditioned the B&W MM-1 and while they sounded good, they were quite possibly the most overpriced piece of audio equipment that I have ever heard. They were a shade better than the Audioengines, but at over twice the price. Flimsily made as well.

Another option is to get a pair of small passive speakers (like the Silverline Minuet) and a small desktop amplifier that won't take up too much space like the Audioengine A22 or the NAD D 3020. A pair of the Silverline speakers and the NAD amp would not take up too much room at all and would likely sound better than most of the speakers in the list above.

23. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

Same here, but I went Emotiva Airmotiv 5s. Fantastic speakers, haven't lamented the product choice one bit.

24. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Any opinions here on Peachtree Audio's DS4.5 speaker as a desk top / computer speaker. I've never heard them.
    [​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.