Devialet- The Lost Recordings - Sarah Vaughan, Oscar Peterson and Bill Evans on Vinyl and Lacquer!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Phishman, Nov 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

So how much? Let me guess, another 500$ lp most cant afford that only the very elite get to hear.

3. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

Sarah Vaughn and Oscar Peterson are available to order, $139. The lacquers $5500-7900.

Phishman likes this.
  4. Everything with Devialet continues to be increasingly beyond rediculous: 7,000 Euros for a lacquer... It costs about 35 Euros to make a lacquer.

Their video showing the cutting of an acetate is utter BS and is nothing special. EVERY record is cut this way.

I restore tapes from the 70's and 80's salvaged from Jamaican studios, transfer them to super hi-rez 192/32 files, as well as produce lacquers and lathe cut records with a small artisan. Ain't nothing unique or super high quality audiophile in what they're doing.

For those that like this music, it's nice but not transcendent or even unique, and one's gotta wonder why it never came out "en masse".

Basically it reflects the Devialet ethos: hype and not much else. Good quality, nice aesthetics, but no value for the money and absolutely NOT the best sounding amp or speakers in the world.

But if there are middle aged males who don't know sh%t, have lotsa disposable income and are willing to buy themselves nice trophies, I say let Devialet sock it to them. This is a free society after all.

5. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I was surfing YouTube when I was shown an advert for this project: must say, I certainly pricked up my ears and investigated further, even if I don't listen to vinyl and am thus very easy to count out. That Sarah Vaughan recording sounds great though ... would like to get that as a digital file.

6. J&J Audio

J&J Audio Member

Has anybody heard these Lost recording vinyl? How does it compare to electric record company releases which are in $400 range.

7. Phishman

Mine's on its way. I shall report back on Monday.

8. J&J Audio

J&J Audio Member

I also got mine Sarah Vaughn/Lost recordings and the second track of disc1 is spectacular and the conversation after that, what a treat. Need to finish the rest of the LP :)

9. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

It's been a few weeks, any updates?

10. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Purple Jim likes this.
  11. Phishman

I returned mine as the pressing was horrible. Not sure if it was just my copy. This one pales in comparison to the MoFi One-Step Abraxas, at the same price point.

12. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

I was also curious about these Devialet releases... I thought it could be interesting, so I researched a little and realized it's just another silly money grab :(

These are produced by a label called Fondamenta.

What they call "Phoenix Mastering" is basically tape baking and digital conversion:

http://www.fondamenta.fr/phoenix?locale=en

So they basically have good tapes they could have used to cut full analog LP's (as they should be at that price point and with all the hype), but instead decided to run some marketing slogans with their "Devialet Expert" product and reduce it all to bits (the digital kind of bits), and then charge a huge amount of money as if those were unique or the very last time you're going to be able to buy that music on vinyl.

Well... we'll probably be seeing a lot more of these recordings, as I suspect after reading this:

Bill Evans - Another Time: The Hilversum Concert - Resonance Records

That's from Resonance Records website, people I actually trust... about the Bill Evans Hilversum release they are going to put out on RSD2017 this month (at much much lower price, cut by Bernie Grundman). This exact same recording is one of the ultra-rare-ultra-expensive Devialet / Fondamenta releases, and I think that's what Resonance was talking about when mentioning "bootlegs"...

I wouldn't be surprised if all of the others in this Devialet "Lost Recordings" series will sooner or later be available from proper music labels... just like this Bill Evans album.

Definitely not worth 90, or 100, or 120 Euros...

Cryonics` and dolsey01 like this.
  13. Wipeout

Wipeout Forum Resident

...well, so much for Devialet and their precious recordings. :laughup::biglaugh:

Cryonics` likes this.
  14. Cryonics`

Cryonics` New Member

For all the music lovers who want these fantastic album as (high-res) download (from http://www.fondamenta.fr/):righton::
    Sarah Vaughan - Live at Laren Jazz Festival 1975 [24 bit/176.4 kHz]
    Bill Evans Trio - Live at Hilversum 1968 [24 bit/176.4 kHz]
    Oscar Peterson Trio - Live at Concertgebouw 1961 [24 bit/176.4 kHz]
    Dave Brubeck Quartet - Live at the Kurhaus 1967 [24 bit/176.4 kHz]

The albums are also available as CD or as 16bit lossless download.

It's kinda funny that the included download card of the vinyl release only includes .mp3 's and .aiff's (16bit).

15. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

a fool and his money is soon parted.

Tis a pity ERC started this trend.

Cryonics` likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.