Devin Townsend Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 10, 2018.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Unity
    Here we have a song that early on shows that Townsend doesn't feel the need to grind out distorted guitar riffs as his only form of expression anymore. This song is quite happy to float along as a meditation, easing us along a path rather than forcing us. There is a lot to absorb on this album, which may be why so many of us like Townsend's albums, anything could be, and probably will be coming.

Lyrics
    Life, it's all life
    It's all alive
    It's alright now
    We're home
    Home, home, home...

Light, it's all light
    It's all lies
    It's a life
    It's all right, now we're home

2. mark winstanley

Noisy Pink Bubbles
    This song is somewhat like a demented funk/ambient song. It goes through a few different phases, and again there isn't the driving distorted guitar many have come to expect.

Lyrics
    You and I
    Will never be falling for reality
    You and I, and every being
    Falling for reality...
    You and I, must never mean
    Falling into alcohol
    You and I, must never mean
    You for you, and all for you...

(People who are predisposed to schizophrenia can be pushed into the condition
    through the use of marijuana)
    You never can tell by the face
    When they're starting to go...
    You never can tell by his face
    When he was starting to go...

And you, make all my words go away
    And you, take all my time
    But you, make all the hurt go away
    And all I can say that it's day after day, all I know...

-Yeah-

Fine, fine, fine

So you, make all these dreams go away
    And you, help me do time
    Can you, make all the love go away
    'Cause all I can say is it's day after day, God I know

Fine, fine, just leave me alone
    Just let me go away
    Just let me go away
    Just let me go away
    Just go away
    Just go away
    Just go away
    Just go away
    Just go away
    Just go away
    Just go...

3. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

It's great writing out the lyrics but tbh i've always found it very difficult to understand the lyrics when he is singing, [unless its a slow ballad.] Is it just me or do most folk have a hard time actually understanding each line he sings. Mind you most singers are hard to understand, hard rock, heavy music in particular.

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. mark winstanley

many songs i find it hard to hear his lyrics. sometimes I think he mixes the vocals too low, whether due to some form of self consciousness or the nineties mix mentality.

5. moops

moops Senior Member

I've been a fan of Dev since Ocean Machine ........ sorry I haven't appeared earlier, I just can't devote a lot of time to an ongoing thread at the moment.
    The main thing that let's Physicist down for me is the recording/mix of the whole thing, the drum sound is horrible. I know you're not looking at Physicist yet, but there's some cracking tunes on there.
    We need a Physicist remix now !!

If you don't mind, I'll go back a bit and post Man, which, according to the Ass-Sordid Demos comp, was part of the demo that originally caught Vai's ear.

" Man, Promise and Red Tomorrow are all re-makes of stuff I did around 1990. I put these versions on because they sounded like they had more effort put into them and were more like what I heard in my head.
    Man appeared on the first Noisescapes demo that originally got the attention of Steve Vai and Relativity Records. "

If you were Vai hearing this you would have to think that this kid has got something going on ...... and he can scream in tune !

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. mark winstanley

Input is always appreciated. Whenever you have time, or feel compelled, jump in mate. Cheers

Rufus rag and moops like this.
  7. mark winstanley

Physicist

[​IMG]
    Studio album by Devin Townsend
    Released
    June 26, 2000
    Recorded Hipposonic Studios, Vancouver, BC
    Red Stripe Studio, Burnaby, BC
    Genre Progressive metal
    Length 46:34
    Label HevyDevy
    Producer Devin Townsend
    Devin Townsend chronology
    Infinity
    (1998) Physicist
    (2000) Terria
    (2001)
    Physicist is the fourth solo album by Canadian musician Devin Townsend. The album was released on June 26, 2000, on Townsend's label, HevyDevy Records.

Physicist is distinguished from the rest of Townsend's solo portfolio for the crossing of the style of his work in Strapping Young Lad with elements that had been explored in Ocean Machine: Biomech and Infinity. Notably, the line-up of musicians featured on this album is identical to that of Strapping Young Lad.

Physicist took several years to come to fruition. Townsend had previously played with Metallica's then-bassist Jason Newsted, in a short-lived thrash metal project called IR8. After the creation of an IR8 demo tape, Townsend and Newsted began work on a new project called Fizzicist, which they claimed would be "heavier than Strapping Young Lad". When the IR8 tape was leaked, Newsted's Metallica bandmates James Hetfield and Lars Ulrichlearned of the project. Hetfield was "****ing pissed" that Newsted was playing outside the band, and Newsted was prevented by his bandmates from working on any more side projects.[1][2]

Unable to continue working with Newsted, Townsend instead wrote the album himself, calling it Physicist. Townsend assembled his bandmates from his extreme metalproject Strapping Young Lad. This was the only time this lineup was featured on one of Townsend's solo albums.

The album combines Townsend's style with a thrash metal influence.[3] David Ballard of Revolver described the album's sound as "a blend of summery melody and breathtaking brutality ... vaulting between Queen-like elegance and Dark Angel–like devastation.

Physicist was released in June 2000 on Townsend's independent label, HevyDevy Records. It is distributed in Canada by HevyDevy, in Japan by Sony, and in Europe and North America by InsideOut. The album was released on Enhanced CD format, with a commentary on the album by Townsend.

The song "Kingdom" was re-recorded for The Devin Townsend Project's Epicloud, with vocals from Anneke van Giersbergen. Similarly, a re-recording of the song "Victim" is present on the bonus disc of Transcendence.

Physicist received positive reviews, but is generally considered a low point in Townsend's career. Townsend himself considers it his worst album to date.[10] Trey Spencer of Sputnikmusic argued that while Physicist is "a pretty good listen" on its own merit, it is "one of the weakest" albums in Townsend's catalogue. He felt the album "comes off as a restrained version of Strapping Young Lad with hints of [Townsend's] other projects thrown in", and that most of the tracks don't "seem to go anywhere".[8] In 2005 the album placed number 439 in Rock Hard magazine's book The 500 Greatest Rock & Metal Albums of All Time.[11]

Much of the criticism of Physicist stems from its poor production. Spencer found the production "a little too reigned in" and "muddy".[8] This was felt by the band as well; drummer Gene Hoglan and the rest were dissatisfied with the way the sound was mixed.
    -------------------------------------
    I don't see this as a bad album, and yes the production/mixing could be somewhat better, but the album is a little less dynamic than most Townsend solo projects.
    Normally with Townsend's solo/project albums there are great dynamics within most songs and certainly within the album as a whole. To a degree this album is a little one paced. For those who love straight up speed metal, this is probably your most likely favourite amongst his works.
    The songs Namaste and Kingdom are truly stand out tracks to me, although, again to me, the version of Kingdom on Epicloud is untouchable. Often I find things I didn't notice or hear things differently doing these threads, so we'll see where we're at when we've done this I guess.
    NB; I don't refer to this as thrash because the playing is too clean in my mind, but I am also not an expert in metal definitions by any means. Perhaps @GodShifter could clue me in on this, as he is one of the more knowledgeable metal fans around the traps.

As always please give us your thoughts on the album as a whole. What do you like, dislike about it? Does it hold any significance for you? or any other album related thoughts you have on it. I'll be putting the first couple of songs up tomorrow

moops likes this.
  8. mark winstanley

Easy song and album guide

Devin Townsend, Who? Devin Townsend Album thread

Ocean Machine: Biomech 1997
    - Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 1 Seventh wave Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 2 Life Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 3 Night Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 4 Hide nowhere Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 5 Sister Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 6 3AM Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 7 Voices in the fan Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 8 Greetings Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 9 Regulator Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 10 Funeral Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 11 Bastard Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 12 The death of music Devin Townsend Album thread
    Funeral/Bastard/The death of music live 2015 Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 13 Things beyond things Devin Townsend Album thread

Infinity 1998 - Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 1 Truth Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 2 Christeen Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 4 Bad devil Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 5 War Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 6 Soul driven (Cadillac) Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 7 Ants Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 8 (Wild) Colonial boy Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 9 (Life is all) Dynamics Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 10 Unity Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 11 Noisy pink bubbles Devin Townsend Album thread

The Physicist 2000 - Devin Townsend Album thread

moops likes this.
  9. seasonsinthesky

seasonsinthesky orphan coal, sleep, etc.

It does, but sadly it won't happen – the master tapes are gone.

He did re-record Victim for the bonus disc of Transcendence, though, so let's hope some more songs get resurrected for re-recording. Planet Rain certainly deserves a new lease on life.

moops likes this.
  10. mark winstanley

we still don't know what is going to be on all those new albums. With him talking about really enjoying 5.1 mixing, we also don't know what he may be doing in 5.1. Although probably Plovdiv ... but you never know what may be coming out this year or early next, there's certainly a lot in the works

11. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Planet Rain is a good song.

Kingdom is solid (and was done 100 times better many years later).

That's all I got regarding Physicist. :D

12. mark winstanley

Namaste
    Look I love this song. It certainly starts the album off with a bang. Somewhat monotone in the verses, but overflowing with melody in the chorus. Quite a remarkable vocal really that leans into the screamy type vocal Townsend was well known for in Strapping, but still with great melodic structure. A blast of adrenaline.

Lyrics
    Follow the way
    Follow the way
    Holding mother
    Follow the way
    Follow the way
    Knew we'd come through to stay
    What have I learned?
    All life, it never goes away
    You never will betray
    When words have gone away
    Remember “Namaste”

Follow the way
    Follow the way
    Holding father
    Feeding the feeling of
    Feeding the feeling of
    “Oh, my God”

You never will betray
    Remember “Namaste” (hey, hey)

(yeah, let’s go)
    (let it go) [x8]

You never will betray
    Remember “Namaste”
    Remember “Namaste”, yeah

Put it down now

seasonsinthesky likes this.
  13. mark winstanley

Victim
    This is another good song. Another fast paced screamer. It is well structured and still manages to incorporate melody, but to a lesser degree than Namaste.

Lyrics
    How many times is it happening?
    Everything is happening
    It happens right now
    How many lives is it threatening?
    Every life is deep within
    It threatens right now

I'm ready to go, I feel it

I'm a spaceship superstar

How many times is it violent
    Everything is so violent
    It's violent right now
    I feel no pain!

14. mark winstanley

Material
    We have another uptempo metal song here, not as uptempo as the first two, but still not slowing down too much. Again some nice scream melody vocals and some nice structural stuff going on.

Lyrics
    Uh, out of man and motor
    Out of manic mode
    This I swear, this I swear
    This I swear to you
    I've got one more ticket to ride
    I've got one more "take 'em alive"
    I've got one more reason to write
    Give me one more try
    Ah, these are the days
    Let them roll as they roll
    And be all you are
    'Cause you're beautiful material

Ah, these are the days
    Let them roll as they roll
    And be all you are
    And be all you are
    Hear that truth again!

15. mark winstanley

Kingdom
    This is one of my favourite Townsend songs. I very much like this version, but find the re-do from Epicloud to just edge past it.
    The staccato verse structure to me is brilliant and emphasises that section of the song beautifully. We have some amazing vocals, and some brilliant double kick drums. We have great melody and a song, that for me at least, draws you in and keeps you there.
    Awesome song!

Lyrics
    I
    I wonder, why I wonder,
    Why I've come undone
    I've come undone

Stay with me lord
    Play with me

OK, I know, I missed it
    The point I mean, I missed it good
    And if I could
    Good God I would

Stay with me lord
    Play with me

Now I've seen the way it's headed
    Down and down, the truth descended
    Have it here and without worry
    Baby please, there is no hurry
    I'm fine
    Stay with me lord
    Play with me
    Stay with me lord
    Play with me

Ego, it's only a soul (for now)

Ah-ah, ah-ah, ah-ah, ah-ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ah-ah
    Ah-ah, ah-ah, ah-ah, ah-ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ah-ah
    We are the word
    We are the hope
    We are so happy to sing along

(…now, now, now)
    Now I see the way I'm headed
    Down and down, the youth descended
    Hell is here, but it hath no fury
    Like this woman still, there is no worry
    I'm fine
    Stay with me lord
    Play with me
    Stay with me lord
    Play with me
    Stay with me lord
    Play with me
    Stay with me lord
    Play with me

seasonsinthesky likes this.
  16. mark winstanley

17. mark winstanley

18. mark winstanley

19. mark winstanley

Death
    This song is very much in a thrash kind of mode. It's ok, but that's not really my cup of tea. Again to me this album is so caught in fats and hard, that the light and shade that makes most of Townsend's albums special is missing on this album. There is again a melodic chorus, but it is underneath a wall of thrash.

Lyrics
    Oh-uh!

Help me
    Help me
    Save me from myself...
    I'm feeling older
    I feel it all
    Opened up to love
    I never want it to stop
    I'm riding the red line
    Why can't you stop this thing?
    I know...

I want to go faster
    Why can't it go faster?
    Oh God, why can't it move faster
    Slow... slow

What's your hurry?
    Home grown surrey weed!

20. mark winstanley

Devoid
    Again here we have a full speed banger and for me, again, the light and shade is missing. Another thing I notice is how short some of these songs are on this album.

Lyrics
    Now I'm running, I'm running, I’m…

It follows me to empty mind
    It follows me…

21. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Not a lot to say about Devin's early albums. Once we get to Ki, I'll have more to offer.

Meanwhile, I will say that Ocean Machine is a great record and "Life" is easily in my top 10 of songs he's ever written.

Rufus rag and mark winstanley like this.
  22. mark winstanley

I like most of the early albums i just find the physicist a little one paced.
    Whenever you're feeling the pull, your involvement will be appreciated

Runicen likes this.
  23. mark winstanley

Easy song and album guide

Devin Townsend, Who? Devin Townsend Album thread

Ocean Machine: Biomech 1997
    - Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 1 Seventh wave Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 2 Life Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 3 Night Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 4 Hide nowhere Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 5 Sister Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 6 3AM Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 7 Voices in the fan Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 8 Greetings Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 9 Regulator Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 10 Funeral Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 11 Bastard Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 12 The death of music Devin Townsend Album thread
    Funeral/Bastard/The death of music live 2015 Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 13 Things beyond things Devin Townsend Album thread

Infinity 1998 - Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 1 Truth Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 2 Christeen Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 4 Bad devil Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 5 War Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 6 Soul driven (Cadillac) Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 7 Ants Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 8 (Wild) Colonial boy Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 9 (Life is all) Dynamics Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 10 Unity Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 11 Noisy pink bubbles Devin Townsend Album thread

The Physicist 2000 - Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 1 Namaste Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 2 Victim Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 3 Material Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 4 Kingdom Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 5 Death Devin Townsend Album thread
    track 6 Devoid Devin Townsend Album thread

From Ass Sordid Demos - Man - Devin Townsend Album thread

24. Fonz

Fonz Forum Resident

Great album.
    We were at Boscombe, Dorset, for the live debuts of ‘ Bastard’ and ‘The Death of Music’.
    That was a special night- a couple of days before the Albert Hall gig.
    The album really sunk into my brain on a transatlantic flight, when I had it on repeat, slowly getting tipsy/sleepy/ unconscious. I’m sure that’s why I love it- the second half of the album was a revelation.
    Looking forward to the Plovdiv set next month.
    Great idea for a thread. I’ll contribute when I can.

25. mark winstanley

Cheers mate, all input appreciated