DeVore O/96, Audio Note, Auditorium 23... analog and digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raferx, Jun 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Having taken a respectable set of speakers from an almost ideal room, to an OK room, to a particularly bad room, I can say that the fundamental nature of the speakers does not change. What does change is the size and credibility of the soundstage and the imaging. Having a good 4ft plus distance from back wall and side wall AND an expanse between is a big deal. Whatever disapprearing act you perceive in a bad room will be decemated by a better room. Where I stumble in real world room application is the distance between the speakers. I could redo my layout and get more space around the speakers, but I'd have to put them too close together AND sit pretty close—nearfield.

One thing about moving furntiture around is that it is easily reversible and it costs nothing. I would absolutely work with alternate room arrangements before I started tuning the room with panels.

Dmann201, gingerly, Jtycho and 3 others like this.
  2. raferx

raferx Forum Resident Thread Starter

This.

3. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think distance from the wall is the hardest thing to achieve. Maybe I just started noticing it, but I'm seeing more and more pictures of people's homes where the "positioning tape" is on the floor like at audio shows where vendors cycle in and out different pairs of speakers. I've started doing this, and when not in use my speakers are right up against the walls and out of the way, and for listening sessions are brought out to the taped position.

raferx likes this.
  4. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

For my tiny studio loft, I finally bowed to the inevitable and got speakers designed to work against the wall. Hopefully the lottery win that buys me my Audio Note/Shindo/DeVore system will have enough left over to buy a larger living space ... :)

5. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

This sounds wise, to consider a speaker that works in the space you have, even if it is not widely considered one of the best in the press.

bhazen likes this.
  6. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

The only thing that I really hear that can kind of annoy me is the reflection off the back wall behind the listener. And even that is not too bad most of the time and can easily be fixed with panels.

triple and raferx like this.
  7. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I've got a 15db 45Hz hump. My plan is to get a tuned bass trap—maybe three—and start like that. I may add a scatter plate to the one that sits behind my head.

norman_frappe likes this.
  8. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Well then I would say the fundamental nature of your speakers has changed. I don't think Vandersteen designs 15db 45hz humps.

9. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

My speakers have changed. However, the Vandersteens and the NSMTs have a very similar in-room response, which tells me it is a room node that is dominating the performace of any speaker placed in the space. That is really my point. The room is going to have its way with about any speaker. As I've said before, my listening chair is not in an anechoic chamber.

10. bhazen

I wasn't aware Credos were even considered in the press...! (I've never seen a review, anywhere.) I wouldn't use them without a Naim amp, though.

I'd describe them as groove, more than tonality, speakers.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  11. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Having had similar experiences, I tend to agree. I've had plenty of systems in different rooms that I've done everything with to achieve a sound that satisfies me. As it turns out no amount of tweeking and room improvements will turn a system I don't like into a system I do like. It's all about finding that sound that fundamentally pleases you, no matter how bad the room. At that point it makes sense to try and improve it as much as possible.

raferx and jupiterboy like this.
  12. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Naim Credo?

bhazen likes this.
  13. bhazen

Just found a review in a NZ website. I was mistaken!

jupiterboy likes this.
  14. David Cope

David Cope Forum Resident

Sounds like fun, but leave a day to waste at the border. There's a work slowdown on top of the general inclination to protect the populace from audio gear.

15. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

I am sure this is just dry humour.... But I crossed the border in 5 min the other day. Bring both the altecs and tannoys to my place!

16. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Where are the rest of your records & cds hidden?

17. David Cope

David Cope Forum Resident

Nope, had 4 gents down from Montreal and two who returned a couple days earlier than the other two called to warn them of a slowdown 8 days ago. May not have been happening out West.

18. kfringe

kfringe Well-Known Member

Nah. I know Rafe. You? I've never met you. You're just a random internet stooge. You might be one of those guys with a creepy sex dungeon in the front hall, for all I know.

Ask me again after we have a few beers sometime.

19. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

No sex dungeon. Soon dedicated music basement though. At rafe's place last night for a beer and to listen to the Devore's. Good times, more later.

raferx likes this.
  20. bhazen

The Seventies really are long gone, aren't they? :cry:

21. timind

timind phorum rezident

[​IMG]

22. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Zed is really going to need a couple of Gik panels if he expects that basement sex dungeon to double as listening room.

23. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Nice setup! How does Parklife sound on it then?!

24. bhazen

My safe word is "overhang"

David Cope and timind like this.
  25. raferx

raferx Forum Resident Thread Starter

LOL... this thread went sideways.
    Nice one Timind.

timind likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.