Diamond Head "Acoustic First Cuts EP" CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Jan 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild Thread Starter

phantomime likes this.
  2. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I made the mistake of buying this. Just want to warn anyone else.

Amazon deceptively sent me a CDR COPY instead of the actual "limited edition" CD.

What an (expletive deleted) ripoff.

I did not notice this when I bought it, but their page now says this on it:

"Note: This product is manufactured on demand when ordered from Amazon.com"

Despite this below they sent me a CDR? Are you kidding me??
    (1) The artwork pictured on the CD cover clearly states "limited edition"
    (2) The quantity available says "1", making it look like there is only ONE left so you better buy it right away!!!! Note that it showed "1" available when I ordered it a couple weeks ago.

I called Amazon to complain and got a helpful but clueless rep. He ALSO felt that it should be an "Audio CD" as listed on the page and NOT a burned "CDR" and gave me the choice of either a refund or to return it to get the "real thing" as a replacement this time.

At this point even though I know I am wasting my time I opted for the return/replacement. I KNOW they are still going to send me another goddam crapola CDR anyways but I'll take the refund option next time.

WHAT did you get Hud? Is it a real CD on the Danger In Sound label like it is supposed to be, or is it a CDR with graphic printing on it trying to disguise what it really is?

phantomime likes this.
  3. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Same thing happened to me once when I ordered a title from Amazon. Not only was it a CD-R, it was also dog**** mp3.
    ...only myself to blame however, as I hadn't noticed beforehand that on the ordering page, it expressly stated :
    "CD-R burned on demand".
    Another clue would have been the listed "label" ~ a name I had never heard of before, followed by the initials , "LLC".

Lesson learned, and never again!

slipkid likes this.
  4. The Hud

I must have the CDr. I didn't even consider that was a possibility, even though I noticed how "cheap" the whole thing looks.

Looks like I will have to quest for the real CD.

slipkid likes this.
  5. The Hud

I want to apologize for getting your hopes up. I didn't notice the "CDr disclaimer" and thought this was a legitimate release.

slipkid and phantomime like this.
  6. The Hud

Diamond Head (2) - Acoustic First Cuts EP

According to Discogs, the label should be "Diamond Head recordings". Not sure which one is correct. :shrug:

7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

The interesting thing is that this listing DID NOT (and does not) say anything about "CD-R burned on demand". I've seen that b4 and avoid that crap. Instead it does say "Note: This product is manufactured on demand when ordered from Amazon.com", something I did not even see when I first ordered it!!! Being a "limited edition" and having a quantity of "1" showing in the listing put my guard down, maybe the listing had the "manufactured on demand" blurb on the page but I didn't notice it originally, since I had no reason to scroll down and look for anything like that. Sheesh....

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Crimson Witch likes this.
  8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

No apology necessary. The disclaimer doesn't even mention the word "CD-R". Showing it as a "limited edition" directly conflicts with any possible inkling of this being a CD-R. You were duped just like me. Heck, the rep I spoke to at Amazon last night even thinks this is SUPPOSED to be a CD not a CD-R and is sending me out a replacement (I'm positive it is going to be the same crap though but I'll play the game with them then demand a refund for the next one - see my post above). At the very least maybe all the hassle I will go through (and their having to deal with it) will get them to change the listing page to not be deceptive like it is!

If not too late, you should complain too, see what happens. The more of us that complain to them the better the chances they will cease this deceptive practice.

The Hud likes this.
  9. The Hud

I left a 1 star review on the Amazon page warning people that this is a CDr. I will wait and see what happens with your second copy. I am torn because I like the music, but not enough to shell out for the legit release on Discogs.

slipkid likes this.
  10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Good for you about the 1 star review. I was going to do that too after the dust settles, wanted to see what happens next first.

Note though that I bought two albums last year on Amazon by a band called Raptor Trail from Marketplace sellers and they both turned out to be CDRs. Investigating it further led me to believe that those might not have even come out on CD per se (CDBABY had them as CDRs). I tried writing reviews on the Amazon pages to warn other buyers but Amazon refused to post one of my reviews. Strangely they did not reject the other one IIRC though. Make sure you start the review with a lot of comments about the music b4 getting to the nasty CD-R surprise part. It's possible the Amazon review overseers just skim the reviews and as long as they see you talking about the music itself first they might miss (or not care) about the media warning.

11. The Hud

They approved my review already. I basically said if you only care about the music, you will be fine. If you want the collectable Limited Edition EP, then you need to look elsewhere.

slipkid likes this.
  12. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

So content wise, are these vintage or recent recordings?

Mark

13. The Hud

Don't know for sure. Discogs has it being released in 2002, but doesn't list a recording date.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I've been researching it some today. It's from 2002 as you say. Sean Harris had come back to the band. Lineup is Brian Tatler, Sean Harris, and additional guitarist Floyd Brennan. They did some acoustic touring in the UK at the time and released this EP to coincide with that.

I'm going to ask about this to my contact who was involved in some of their reissues already (thanks to him we got a new re-re-release of Lightning in 2016/17 when I asked about that). I'm not sure of the legal entanglements with this, but maybe there aren't any since I think the band released this independently at the time. I'd imagine a big stumbling block would be just finding the original tapes/CD or something like that to work off of & of course getting the band their due. Hmmm. Another angle to get a release of this might be that the band's current label Dissonance here in the states is based right here in my hometown and I have a friend who knows the label owners - maybe they can see if Brian has any interest in re-releasing this, although I would expect not since his focus should really be on the new (& most excellent) band.

I just listened to this btw, really dig it. Very far from "metal" but cool to hear this.

The Hud likes this.
  15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Oh what the heck. While my creative juices are flowing and my dander is still up about this I wrote an Amazon review as well. Am not sure they will publish what I had to say though.

16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Amazon hasn't published my review but they haven't sent me a rejection yet (they have done that b4 when they don't like me complaining about something like this).

However waiting for me now when I got home from work (US Mail delivers Amazon packages on Sundays!) is a replacement "real" CD as promised by the Amazon rep. Except of course it is the exact same thing (a cheap CDR copy). Called Amazon again and they are sending me a refund. Also supposedly are sending the info about this to one of their internal groups to consider how misleading/wrong their page is to be selling a "limited edition" of "only one left" audio CD when in reality it is just a CDR copy. Maybe they will change their listing, who knows.

In the meantime I did speak (email) with my industry contact on this, he said he actually HAS the original CD from 2002. He is going to look into some things. From what I read on wikipedia back in 2002 they also recorded a new album (or part of one) but that never came out. I asked if maybe they could do a from the archives thing and release that album along with this EP as a special treat for us fans. I'd imagine that could be pretty legally entangled though, who knows. Still now wouldn't THAT be cool?

17. The Hud

Have you heard back from your contact about this yet?

I would love a official CD of this.

18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

No, he didn't say anything else other than he had it himself & he would look into it as far as a release goes. Been awhile so I guess it is a no go.

19. The Hud

Bummer. At least he got Lightning To The Nations back in print, that is more important.

slipkid likes this.
  20. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Very underhanded the way Amazon list cdr burns...I was caught out once and as we say - never agsain!

slipkid and The Hud like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.