Diamond Head's Lightning To The Nations : 2001 VS 2011 cd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Moviemax, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moviemax

Moviemax Active Member Thread Starter

Hi folks,

i found 2 versions of this magnificent album. Both sound very different. I am always scared when i got differences in the sound like this. Always scared to have a remix or modified version.

The cds i possess are the 2001 castle and the 2011 universal deluxe edition.

Can you tell which one you prefer and if these are original mixes of the album, or which sources were used. Thanks.

2. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

I'm the poor guy listening to the Metal Blade CD version.
    And loving it!

3. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

"Diamond Nights" is a great cd that has all the original mixes of Lightning, plus more songs.

ModernDayWarrior likes this.
  4. Moviemax

Moviemax Active Member Thread Starter

And between the 2001 and 2011 editions ? Is it original mixes ? Which one is the best ?

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  5. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

Weren't the long lost master tapes for this album recently rediscovered? Is that what the 2011 version uses? Does anyone know? I would be very interested if it is.

HumanMachinery likes this.
  6. I'll just chime in and bump the thread to say that, while the packaging is good, the 2001 reissue sonically stinks. Sounds like it was mastered from an NR'd album or a cassette. No idea if the 2011 deluxe version is better or if they ever found the original tapes to master from.

7. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

The tracklisting is identical, but the 2011 Deluxe splits it into 2 disks. It is original mix. Supposedly remastered by Andy Pearce from the re-discovered master tapes.

8. HumanMachinery

HumanMachinery Forum Resident

You are correct, sir. According to what I read from a recent interview with Brian Tatler, the original master tapes were only recovered after Lars Ulrich went over to Germany and raised hell against Woolfe Records. According to Brian, Woolfe had the tapes after a repressing agreement was signed, but then refused to send them back.

I assume they only relented because Lars has serious money and serious lawyers.

9. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

So how does the 2011 version sound? Is it superior to the Diamond Nights cd or the 2001 version?

10. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

The 2011 version was mastered from the original mastertape. It is loud, but sounds fantastic. I compared with my original Happy Music pressing and it sounds very close.
    I never had the 2001 version, but I suspect it shares the same versions as on the the High Vaultage CD (released in the 90s). All tracks (album + singles) were sourced from original vinyl records. I hope that helps.

ModernDayWarrior likes this.
  11. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Thanks.
    The thing that I think is odd is that they spread the 2011 version onto 2 discs when it could clearly fit in one.

12. sathvyre

Sure...and two songs from the early singles are missing...
    The album tracks sound fantastic on the 2011 edition (if you can live with a loud mastering...I can), but all single tracks were taken again from the High Vaultage version as the original mastertapes for all 7" releases are long lost and gone...

13. HumanMachinery

Shame that this is loud, but I should expect as much. Most metal albums are mastered that way.

Andy Pearce does great work when he's allowed to.

14. sathvyre

Sure it is very loud, but in fact the best available CD version.

supernaut likes this.
  15. HumanMachinery

and it sucks that the 7" masters were either lost or junked. So much great history seen as disposable nonsense.

16. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

The 2011 version is amazing. I would not say it is super loud, the DR is 9 for the album. Still OK in my opinion for this kind of music.

Analyzed: Diamond Head / Lightning to the Nations: The White Album [Deluxe Edition]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR8 -0.26 dB -9.95 dB 4:15 01-Lightning to the Nations
    DR7 -0.26 dB -9.10 dB 6:26 02-The Prince
    DR9 -0.26 dB -10.73 dB 9:30 03-Sucking My Love
    DR8 -0.71 dB -10.43 dB 7:43 04-Am I Evil
    DR9 -0.26 dB -10.68 dB 3:13 05-Sweet And Innocent
    DR9 -0.26 dB -10.57 dB 3:37 06-It's Electric
    DR9 -0.77 dB -10.84 dB 6:53 07-Helpless

Number of tracks: 7
    Official DR value: DR9

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 1010 kbps
    Codec: FLAC

17. sathvyre

It sounds nice - and that''s all what counts. Of course, I always prefer to play my original Happy Face pressing on vinyl, but in the digital form, the Deluxe Edition is fine. Sometimes it's much more fun to trust your ears instead of reading waveforms...

theshape and D.B. like this.
  18. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

I just picked up the 2011 Deluxe remastered by Andy Pearce, I was worried about the loud factor (Especially after seeing the word Lars in the thread!) but to my ears no worries on this one. Best sounding version I've ever heard. I'm really glad you guys posted about this one it almost slipped off of my radar. Essential NWOBHM.

D.B. likes this.
  19. sathvyre

Glad that you like it !!! It is by far the best digital version and sounds VERY close, compared to the original LP.

HumanMachinery likes this.
  20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

new album on the way - lots of positive buzz about it

sathvyre and Turboholic like this.
  21. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

I see the deluxe version is being reissued Nov 25 from the post above looks like I may have to upgrade from the white cover 2001 cd I have (and love!)

22. sathvyre

The Deluxe Edition double CD sound sgood, maybe a bit too loud...but it's the only version you can hear the album, taken and mastered form the original mastertape. All previous editions were sourced form vinyl. Sound of the Deluxe Edition is very nice...but the 7" and 12" tracks form the bonus CD are an incomplete collection, there is some stuff missing...and all tracks on CD2 were sourced from vinyl.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  23. sathvyre

I made a CD-R with my own needledrops from all original vinyl sources (White Album + all 7" and 12" songs) and enjoy it from time to time :)

24. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Ah, Diamond Head - A band I've never really heard enough to get into. This despite a general love of UK rock/metal; despite the fact that I used to live in Stourbridge (where the band formed); and (shameless name-drop) the fact that Nick Tart (latter-day Diamond Head singer - now no longer in the band) is my cousin...

What am I missing..?

Soundslave likes this.
  25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

For one thing, this totally awesome song:

The new album is one of the best albums I have EVER bought. I love this album to death. I've since gone back and acquired their entire catalog and nothing else they have done has come close to the absolute perfection of this heavy metal masterpiece.

Hyberpole? Yeah but it is how I feel about their new album. Am going to see them live next month at my local, the wonderfully intimate Sellersville Theater1894. By amazing coincidence, their current label (Dissonance) is based here in my hometown so they got them booked here.

Tell your cousin he really wrote a winner with this album, and he could not have found a better new singer to pair up with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.