Diana Ross "Diana": The Original Chic Mix set for release on pink vinyl (04/21/2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Mar 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

According to several online sites, there is a forthcoming vinyl release for Diana's 1980 Chic-produced album in the original (unreleased-at-the-time) Chic mix. Most sites have this listed as a 2-LP set, which leads me to believe this might include both version of the album, though details have not yet been confirmed.

Diana Ross Diana: The Original Chic Mix LP (Pink Vinyl)-Elusive Disc

2. spacer

spacer Forum Resident

Amazon have updated the tracklisting and if it's correct, Universal is doing just what I suspected of them...2 songs per LP side. I get the want or need to differentiate these "CHIC" mixes on vinyl from the originally released LP but divvying up an 8-song album across two LPs seems a bit excessive to me. It really needlessly breaks the mood of the album listening experience. As is getting up to change/flip the record every 2 songs. All this is lessening my excitement for this release. And particularly at its current pre-order price point. Maybe if they were including something new or even giving us 2 LPs worth of music. But they aren't from what I can gather. Plus, if I buy this latest reissue it will be the 5th time I've bought this 'diana' album in its various formats/mixes. I'm starting to feel like a mark. As life-giving as this album is, I may hold off purchasing until the price comes down. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Just dumb pampering to vinyl fetishists.

BlueGangsta and Thwacko like this.
  4. matthew2600

matthew2600 Forum Resident

There's two less tracks but Diana is only 5 minutes shorter than Fleetwood Mac Rumours which is the forum standard for a perfectly reasonable single LP -> double LP. I already have the Nautilus superdisc of the original mix but the Chic mix is pretty good too.

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I'm not excited about this either, but for different reasons. The sound of the Chic mix on the deluxe CD set was squashed. It didn't sound anything like the crisp sound of a Chic album. Putting it on 2LP's (@45rpm?) sounds promising, but it won't help if the mastering sucks. And, I bought the recent clear vinyl from Universal, and it sounds terrible. I'm going to wait for reviews - hope collectors don't buy up all the copies.

6. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident

Possibly one of the few times Diana Ross was right. I prefer the released version over the Chic version. Since Diana can sing, why would you bury her vocals?

BlueGangsta and zebop like this.
  7. spacer

spacer Forum Resident

Her vocals sound loud and clear to me. Probably a little too loud and clear considering some of the vocal takes that were chosen. Shade intended.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Nostaljack likes this.
  8. pghmusiclover

Here's a little video from Super Deluxe Edition which shows the vinyl release (it's shown as a RSD item, but here in the USA, I don't think it's a RSD release, since I see it listed now on various USA sites with a release date of Friday, 04/21).

SDE / Record Store Day – Preview #1

9. pghmusiclover

I'm listening to the CD from the Deluxe Version and, while I enjoy it, I wonder how it would have fared if it was released. I think Diana's version is more radio-friendly.

ibekeen likes this.
  10. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

Is this a UK exclusive? Record Store Day is just another bust with exclusive albums that will end up on Ebay costing a fortune. Nobody in Victoria BC Canada seems to be carrying this release :(

11. pghmusiclover

I don't think it's a RSD exclusive outside of the U.K...

I know Dusty Groove has this in stock as does Acoustic Sounds, etc. not sure about the release status in Canada though...

Troystar likes this.
  12. pghmusiclover

13. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

Got my copy from Amazon yesterday. The pressing is ok but it sounds just as compressed as the 2 CD set. I do agree with the general agreement among fans that the Ross/Terrana mixes were more radio friendly. "I'm Coming Out" really benefits from it plus it has the final climatic "I'm Coming Ooouuttt!" that the Chic version lacks to give it a fitting climax. Plus, Terrana used better Ross vocal passes on most of the tracks. Diana pushes her voice too hard in some spots which contributes in my mind as to why the remixes seem superior. I really feel they were the difference between these songs being minor top 40 hits (in Chic form) and the number one and five hits they were (in Terrana form).

mosogotamravip and Troystar like this.
  14. spacer

spacer Forum Resident

The Canadian release date is April 28. Amazon.ca is accepting pre-orders.
    Diana: The Original ChicMix (2LP Vinyl): Diana Ross: Amazon.ca: Music

Troystar likes this.
  15. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

Did they really use different vocal takes? I thought they just pushed her voice to the front? I have to admit I don't find both versions that different.

16. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Honestly, I get that they're different mixes, but I get the same out of either of them.

I was kind of disappointing when I hear Chic's mix after hearing about how much better it supposedly was.

ibekeen likes this.
  17. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I agree, however, I think the original Chic mix of "Tenderness" is AMAZING. I think it's the best song of either sessions. I wish they had left it untouched.

BlueGangsta likes this.
  18. Pink vinyl...

RSD has become a freak show

19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I don't think we've heard it the way it is supposed to sound - only in a compressed mastering that makes the whole thing sound dull. Very unfortunate.

20. spacer

spacer Forum Resident

Very. And I'm not convinced this was the mix Nile 'n Nard intended for release. I give Universal 3 years before they unearth yet another vaulted mix for the 40th Anniversary re-release. I invision an eight 7" 45rpm boxset, rainbow flag colored, with A-side stereo and B-side mono mixes... :disgust: I'm going to go play the Norma Jean album.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  21. pghmusiclover

FYI: The US version does not include a download code, but otherwise it's the same as the one in the video. There's a sticker on the shrink wrap that says "Made In Germany".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.