Dick Dale "Swingin' & Surfin'" on Ed Sullivan Show, 1963

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickH, Jun 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Pretty ragin', huh? The Angels also appeared that night, as did Sonny Liston (who did nothing more than jump rope!).

Kennedy-era entertainment goodness!

3. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

Dick Dale is always great! Not everything in American pop in 1963 was tame. Did you notice how Ed Sullivan walked off camera to shake hands with Dick? Recently, I saw a clip of him telling David Letterman that it was previously unheard of for Ed to leave his post at the side of the stage - can't find it now.

4. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Great clip!
    An odd medley of Swingin' & Surfin/Miserlou/The Wedge/Maleguena!
    He was calling to someone side stage. I wonder if his band was there and the entire performance was live? Live vocal & guitar, at least.

I must admit, although I like them, his vocal material is pretty cheesy & weak.

5. larryk

larryk Senior Member

Just read that while he plays a left-handed Strat, it's actually strung for a right-handed player!

That means his chording, solos, everything, are upside down to what a leftie would see (small "E" string on the top, large "E" string on the bottom).

Plus he uses huge string gauges. Wow!

6. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Dick just played Memphis. It happened to be his 75th birthday. Someone supposedly supplied a cake in his honor. Heard the show was fantastic.

7. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

So this is the same episode that The Angels did "My Boyfriend's Back"?

I wish complete episodes were available. It would be great Saturday night viewing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.