Did anyone attend concerts at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City,NJ ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mmcshu, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. major_works

major_works This is my Custom Title

That was my one and only time at Roosevelt Stadium. My friends and I were on the field, baking in the sun all day. I remember wishing we'd gone up into the bleachers to sit like human beings. Great show, though. Last encore was "I'm Down," which rocked pretty hard. I'd never heard Jon Anderson scream before. Didn't know he could.

2. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

only 73 with the band. right after watkins glen. saw both nights and the 74 and 76 dead shows.

3. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

From left to right it would have been Richard, Rick, Robbie & Levon, with Garth set up behind Rick & Robbie. Here's a closer look:

http://theband.hiof.no/band_pictures/roosevelt_08_o1_73_mr_bassman.html

4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Roosevelt Stadium was the day NIxon resigned, Roosevelt Raceway was the day Ford pardoned him. Crosby announced both events to the crowds.

ledsox likes this.
  5. djbarry

djbarry Master of time, space and dimension.

CSN&Y did indeed play on 8/9/74, but the venue was the now demolished Atlantic City Race Track. Santana opened and it poured through their entire set. It was great. Crosby held up a newspaper with the "Nixon Resigns" headline. We arrived and left in my friend's 1940 DeSoto. It was great.

Saw the Dead @ Roosevelt Stadium in '74&'76. Both shows were great, but '74 was pure nirvana. They were never better than they were in '74. Wall of sound, baby. The set is very easy to find in excellent soundboard quality. Check it out. Also saw EL&P in '74, but it didn't work. Not the right venue.

It was the perfect venue for the Dead. A huge, hulking, decaying, concrete and steel monstrosity. It was like seeing a concert in the Roman Coliseum or the ruins of Pompeii.

6. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

As per the KISS 1976 show, there was a commercial dvd several years ago that was taken from that show. It was black and white video footage, and only about half the concert, I believe. It was entitled something like "The Lost Concert." It was interesting for hardcore KISS collectors because there is very little footage from the Destroyer tour/period, for whatever reason. I think just that show and the booted Anaheim Stadium show.

7. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

The Dead, The Band, Yes, CSNY... hard to remember details but mud sticks out from one (Yes?)

8. Ziggybirds

Ziggybirds New Member

I saw The Beach Boys and Poco there in August 1973. Sat on the grass with friends. Pretty good location. Had a blast. Both Poco and the Beach Boys put on a fine show. James Cotton may have opened it.

9. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

Hey djbarry -

Hello from just up Rt 1 - Edison / EB...
    I heard that the first ELP appearance at Rossevelt in Aug '74 was cancelled due to a thunder & lightning
    & rain storm from hell, with the rescheduled show being legendary, with the band being in fantastic shape
    due to it being the end of their Get Me A Ladder / Brain Salad Surgery tour that found their playlist to be
    excellent and broadcasted over a state of the art at the time, genuine quadrophonic sound system...

10. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I was too young to see any concerts.

The last year, or so, of its existance......it had the Oakland A's minor league AA team. I saw a few games. Rickey Henderson was there at the time, and I got his autograph in the middle of a piece of paper with a bunch of others who never made it to the majors.

11. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

I know that KISS played an historic concert there in 1976.

MYQ1 likes this.
  12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

13. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

14. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Grateful Dead 8/4/76. Besides clean SBDs, a B&W pro-shot video circulates of the first set.

Dodged rats and walked over broken glass to get to the stadium. And you couldn't miss the odor of Jersey as you neared the city. Great show, though!

15. JRC758

JRC758 New Member

I saw Pink Floyd in June of 1975, Heard Wish You Were Here before it was released. Echoes was the encore. Plane didn't make into the staged. Great show, laid back in beach chairs 50 ft from stage. Didn't have to stand and be crushed to watch show. Awesome, Favorite show of all time. Also saw Yes in July, original show rained out, rained again on male up day, mud bath, was a war zone with M-80s and other fireworks, not the same fond memories, rained the whole show. They did play Clap and All Good People, band great - weather and idiots with explosives hurt the memories.

16. Frank C.

Frank C. New Member

17. Frank C.

Frank C. New Member

18. Frank C.

Frank C. New Member

Saw Alice in rain and mud, Eric stoned with riot, Allmans, fell asleep, probably few more that I can't remember.
    And when there where no concerts, drinking in parking lot and other stuff

19. daner

daner New Member

I saw Pink Floyd for their Dark Side of the Moon concert where the encore was Echoes. I remember it being a windy night, the stage cover tarp blowing around giving it a spooky atmosphere. Perfect for Floyd and Echoes in particular. We drove up from Stockton College in South Jersey in my van. Everyone but me soo wrecked. An extraordinary concert.

20. agn

agn Forum Resident

21. GaryBoyce16

GaryBoyce16 New Member

Brought my girlfriend in 74 for Beach Boys/Eagles and was lucky to get out alive. We were late so we ended up parking way out and when we got in all that we can remember is the insanity of the crowd and hardly anything from the show. There were people walking overhead on the beams and my girlfriend came out of the womens room horrified at sight of girls taking dumps and peeing in the sinks anywhere they could relieve themselves. But the real fun began when we went out after the show and couldnt see my car! I know it was there-right over there! well it was but we couldnt see it because it had all tires removed-Crager Mags- the convertible roof was slit and open- tape deck gone. It was a beautiful 69 Camaro so why the hell not just take it all? We ran to the police that were a waste and basically said well whatever you do you better get out of town soon because its gonna be real bad here. I felt the police were either in on it or watched but surely didnt give a **** as the entire lot was a disastrous mess of broken glass -windows etc... a pure hellhole. We got ourselves together and somehow made it to the diner that was right there walking down dangerous streets- how we got there only God knows. I called my Dad for a pick up- we were hour plus away living in Rockland county- CLICK! So my girlfriend called her Mom and she did come and arrived about 2 AM- We got home close to 4..We had been there since about 6PM night before. All we can remember is the absolute fear of being turned away and laughed at by cops and then basically running for our life to get to that diner and sitting on the steps waiting for what seemed forever. Like I said neither can remember the show but we sat in the stands and the field and stands mobbed to the max- like a bomb waiting to go off. So little did we now what disaster awaited. The sad thing is my Dad knew the area and warned us it was a ****hole and why are you going there? Therefore the CLICK of disgust when I called. Thankfully my girlfriend Mom had a heart. Well not long after we broke up. But in 1981 we did get back and now have been married for 35 years. We always think back to the horror of that night and now after reading so much about that stadium and city in those early 70`s it is actually amazing we lived to tell our story. I am sure there are worse horror stories and many that never had a chance to get told. But this is mine from Roosevelt Stadium.

Larry Geller likes this.
  22. bob noonan

bob noonan New Member

y r i a f b a t, b i dh a d l

23. bob noonan

bob noonan New Member

your right, I always felt bad about that but I didn't have a have a drivers license back then.

24. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

I saw Kiss there in '76, my only concert there. I don't remember much about it, but I wrote this in another thread: While waiting for the band to come onstage, some dickwad threw a firecracker up in the air and it exploded inches from my right ear as it landed. Ruined the concert for me. The pitch of the music kept changing randomly throughout the show - I'm amazed I didn't suffer permanent damage from that one.

Oh, and reading further through this thread, I'll add that I was too young to know what a bad area it was supposed to be. And at that age, I probably wasn't smart enough to have cared even had I known. A couple of friends and I left NY before sunrise to catch a bus there because we knew it was general admission and wanted to get a reasonable shot at having a decent view. So it was an all-day hanging out kind of thing for us. We got there at 7 AM and we were surprised that there was already a pretty long line.

25. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

The Beach Boys (with a few other groups) somewhere around 1974/75. On the lawn just like in the pictures above. Remember it being a nice hot summer day.
    I usually keep my concert stubs but this one didn't make it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.