Did Anyone See Gabriel Era Genesis Live or Gabriel Live pre 1985?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matthew Tate, May 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

Great set list: Peter Gabriel Setlist at St George's Hall, Bradford

2. agn

agn Forum Resident

I have seen Peter Gabriel over 20 times. Most of these shows were before 1985... Here you go: 1974 The Genesis Lamb tour at the Academy of Music NYC, 1977 1st Show of his solo career at the Capitol Theater in Passaic, New Jersey, 1978 4 times at the Pavillon Batard outside off Paris, France, 1978 3 times at the Hammersmith Odeon, London, England, 1980 3 times once at the Dr. Pepper Music Festival, Central Park, NYC, once at the Diplomat Hotel, NYC and once at Asbury Park Convention Hall, 1982 at Rutgers University/New Jersey , 1983 PNC Arts Center, 1988 Amnesty Tour Philadelphia, PA, 1993 Spectrum, Philadelphia, 2002 2 times, once at the Brendan Bryne Arena, East Rutherford, NJ and once at Madison Square Garden, 2003 at the PNC Arts Center in Holmdel, NJ, 2012 at Jones Beach Wantaugh , NY. There are a few others but my mind is getting foggier as I get older. I think he is the artist I have seen the most. I love his music.

3. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

Sorry, that was just copy-paste from setlist.fm. One of us could go in and change it, but hey, Pete's cover sounded more like Credence anyway. :laugh:

Kidding, but I've gotten in tussles with this kind of thing at setlist.fm before. Most recently was a Bob Mould setlist where I posted "Love Is All Around" as a Sonny Curtis cover, and somebody kept changing it to a Hüsker Dü cover. It's much more annoying than trying to update Gracenote, because there's always somebody trying to score points with edits.

arthurprecarious likes this.
  4. Never saw Genesis with live with Gabriel (a little to young) but I saw Peter on his first U.S. Solo tour, again in 1980, 82 and &3. Amazing shows particularly the 82 and 83 shows.

agn and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Great picture of Bill Nelson.

agn likes this.
  6. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i know i saw the lamb lies down on broadway tour.most likely saw his first solo tour as well.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Didn't see Genesis with PG - wanted to on Lamb tour, limited $, bought tickets for another show that ended up being cancelled..grrrr. Saw PG on 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th solo tours - lost interest after that.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

I stood in the rain for hours and hours in 1982 to see Peter Gabriel & Genesis play at Milton Keynes Bowl for the Womad benefit. I remember the heat given off by the packed crowd was so great that the rain more or less evaporated as soon as it fell. Miraculous...

If I remember Talk Talk were the support act and were bottled quite a bit, which was definitely such a shame...:)

Fun Quiz: At about the same time I also saw Gabriel at Crystal Palace FC where strangely he was supported by another group with the initials TT...What group was that? You might need a detective to work it out.

penguinzzz and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Take That?

10. agn

agn Forum Resident

Thanks!
    I enjoyed seeing Peter up close at the late 70s and early 80s shows. He played small to medium size theaters and you could actually see him perform. As he got more popular the venues grew and he looked smaller and smaller.

11. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Yes I saw Gabriel live in Edmonton in 1983. It was part of a triple bill with The Tubes and David Bowie!!!

Not an intimate event (stadium concert) but a wonderful show as I recollect.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    agn likes this.
  12. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

My first ever concert was seeing him on that tour at Newcastle City Hall on 13th September 1977. I remember part way through he went off stage and reappeared in the balcony then came through the audience and finally back to the stage.

sound chaser and Gasman1003 like this.
  13. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I saw Peter Gabriel March 4th 1980:

[​IMG]

This was 2 months before the release of PG3.

Here is the setlist:

Peter Gabriel Setlist at Empire Theatre, Liverpool

So, in effect the first time I heard the album I heard it live!

No wonder I queued to buy it on release, and still love it.

drivingfrog, Rupe33, deany76 and 3 others like this.
  14. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

He did that at the show I saw too

agn likes this.
  15. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I saw the Selling England and Lamb tours twice each (one of the Lamb shows was the same Montreal show that @ParloFax saw) , plus the first PG tour later and Genesis tours up through W&W. I loved the music at the time and enjoyed all the shows, although I would have liked more improvisation. As a stage performance I thought The Kinks Preservation and Soap Opera shows (which I also saw several times) were more memorable.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

2x w Genesis - Selling England and Lamb
    2x solo

17. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

PG, August 1983, Plays Live tour, UC Berkeley Greek Theatre.
    Memorable to Bay Area PG fans for two reasons:
    When Tony biffed the bass part in "Family Snaphot" after the 'shot,' the band had to come to a full stop. Peter announced that, "this is what's known, in technical terms, as a f$&# up."
    Unplanned encore of "Here Comes The Flood."

18. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

Thompson Twins presumably!

I was at Milton Keynes too, back when I had the stamina to endure such a thing. So glad I went though, an amazing event.

19. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Saw him at Newcastle City Hall, 1983 (4/Security tour).

Desperately wanted to go to the Milton Keynes reunion, but my mum said I was too young!

20. Mike Ga

Mike Ga Formerly meredrums and MikeG

I was at that show. Poplar Creek, right? He spent the next two songs sitting at the edge of the stage glaring at the audience. The mobbing only started after he made it to the walkway at the top. From the "True Believers" to the "OMG its PETER GABRIEL!!" crowd. He had a killer band back then.

Rich C likes this.
  21. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

1978: Knebworth, down the bill topped by Zappa & Tubes
    1982: Genesis reunion, Milton Keynes
    1983: Crystal Palace, with Thompson Twins and the Undertones (one of their final shows, I think? or even the last one?)

He played several nights, but apparently only one night featured Ms Bush. I was there that night, and wrongly assumed she'd appeared at all the Earls Court shows. So it was quite special, although I didn't realise that until many years later.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

I was too young to see Genesis with Gabriel. I was offered a ticket to see "The Lamb" at Manchester, but I was too poor in those days to take the offer. I saw PG solo at Lancaster University, with all that running around. I was on the standing balcony, and next thing I know PG was squeezing between me and my friend to make himself known to the crowd below. It was the only time I saw PG solo, that was enough for me. I have all his albums, but rarely play any other than the first solo album.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

You are absolutely correct. I miss Poplar Creek. It was a great venue.

Are you originally from Chicago?

Mike Ga likes this.
  24. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

yeah i lost interest 1/2 through the lambs show.just not my cup of tea at that time.

25. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

January 87, perhaps?
    Genesis Setlist at Reunion Arena, Dallas
    Genesis Setlist at Reunion Arena, Dallas

Looks like In the Cage was played at both Dallas shows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.