Did Anyone See Gabriel Era Genesis Live or Gabriel Live pre 1985?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matthew Tate, May 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

2. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Saw them a few times between 73-75. They were OK I guess. :D

William Smart and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Slubberdegullion

Slubberdegullion Forum Resident

I saw him in Copenhagen in 1978, and then again in 1983. On the first occasion I shook his hand as he was walking through the audience during Waiting for the Big One.

5. Mike Ga

Mike Ga Formerly meredrums and MikeG

Yep. Joliet then went to Arlington Heights. I had moved at that point but was back up for a visit. Couldn't miss that. I liked Poplar, but would really love to see one more show at Alpine Valley.

Rich C likes this.
  6. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Great thread. I've seen Gabriel solo 40+ times, from 18 September 1977 to the So 25th anniversary. Simply the most important artist to have touched my life. Sadly just too young to have seen him with Genesis. Couldn't get to MK82.
    Not that bothered if the reunion never happens though. They had their day and it would be difficult to do that again as they approach their 70s. Still love what they did together but the past is the past. Need a new Gabriel album though.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. kohoutek

kohoutek Forum Resident

Yes, August 12, 1983. This may be from the show, could be the next night though, my memory is a little skewed, but the introductions seem different at the end of the clip--I believe he is referring to the previous night's gig, which would be the Friday show I was at. We were all clear out of our minds, I remember that vividly. Great gig, very good times.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  8. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

My mistake. I misunderstood.

9. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Sure wish I had seen Genesis with Gabriel, but was way too young.

I did see Gabriel solo on the Plays Live tour 1983. Was actually my first rock concert. Mixed bag experience. Sound quality was terrible (we were in the balcony - perhaps that was part of the reason) and the audience (Worcester, MA) was sketchy. Guys behind us were snorting lines of coke off a sheet of aluminum foil.

I do remember watching him fall back into the audience after standing edge of stage forever (Lay Your Hands on Me.) I didn't know that he did those falls, so it was kind of shocking. Also remember him shining the beam of light during "San Jacinto," very rousing rendition of Solsbury Hill, and Levin, David Rhodes, and PG all jumping in unison on the word SHOCK! And of course the Biko audience chant. The rest is a bit foggy.

Genesis Worcester Centrum a few months later (Mama tour) turned out to be a much better show. Just incredible sound, and back then they had the Varilights. Highlight was 11th Earl/Squonk/Firth medley. Gabriel himself I saw on the So tour and that was outstanding. But I think (know) in the right venue, pre-85 Gabriel would have been amazing.

10. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Why Don't We is one of his greatest non-album tracks, and to my knowledge there isn't a good quality recording of it. I believe it may be the only time he played flute post-Genesis.

Parts of Why Don't We were later used, with different words, on Family Snapshot on PG3.

11. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I saw him at Knebworth in September of 1978 in between The Boomtown Rats and Frank Zappa if you can imagine that. Began at the piano with a song for his teddy bear. The encore was "Lamb Lies Down".

12. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Saw them on the Foxtrot & SEBTP tours, great shows. Unfortunately I have no distinct memories of these shows other than recalling Gabriel in the flower hat and that they were really excellent live.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    screechmartin likes this.
  14. =====I think the Cleveland version seems to be the best "worst" recording :)

15. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I have a friend who saw the Lamb tour twice. I hate him. lol.
    He was young and part of the organizing local crew...He saw Paris and Reims (which he helped organize).

My late mother saw Peter in Lille, France in 1977.

And I was born just four DAYS after she attended a Steve Hackett show (in Lille, France too). Sadly, her ticket stub is long gone (not my doing) but I had it for years. No wonder I became so fond of Genesis early on.

mx20 and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

I saw PG in July, 1980 in NYC. I actually found the setlist online, and it reminds of how great it was:

Intruder
    Start
    I Don't Remember
    Solsbury Hill
    Family Snapshot
    We Do What We're Told (Milgram's 37)
    Modern Love
    Not One of Us
    Lead a Normal Life
    Moribund the Burgermeister
    Mother of Violence
    Humdrum
    Bully for You
    (Tom Robinson Band cover)
    And Through the Wire
    I Go Swimming
    Biko
    On the Air
    D.I.Y.
    Here Comes the Flood

17. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I saw this tour in Massachusetts, forget which city, and the Security tour following. One of the best concerts I've ever seen.

18. PES

PES Forum Resident

Saw Peter Gabriel twice in '78 on the Peter Gabriel II tour. The first time was at the Roxy. He and the band were sporting the road worker look (i.e. white t-shirts, blue jeans & orange road-work vests). Peter came out first with his teddy bear, shaved head and all, and sang "Me and My Teddy Bear" solo. The full band came on in "On the Air". Tony Levin is a big guy and seeing him in mirror shades and a shaved head, grimacing at the crowds, is kind of a scary experience. For "Waiting for the Big One", the band started without Peter on stage, then a spotlight hit the balcony and he's sitting in someone's lap. He sang half the song in that guy's lap, then climbed down the outside of the balcony back to the stage. The encore was "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway". Peter added a leather jacket and gardening gloves to his ensemble for that number. During that song, someone in the front row grabbed Peter's hand. They got in a tug-of-war for a minute, then Peter pulled his hand out of the glove, letting the audience member keep it, The second show, two months later at the Long Beach Auditorium, was roughly the same set list. The start though involved the band members coming into the theatre in the dark, using portable spotlights to light their way in.

Matthew Tate and Jack Flannery like this.
  19. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

This setlist, btw, is evidence of the superb body of solo work Gabriel put together before Big Time and all the hits. Under the radar, he created some incredible music.

20. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I saw Lamb. It was probably the best show I have ever seen. It was at the tail end if the US leg in Grand Rapids. Saw Genesis later. Not the same. Never had the opportunity to see Gabriel live.

klockwerk likes this.
  21. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

I never saw Genesis with Gabriel, I was too young for that, but I did saw him in Essen, 1978, in Milano 20o2, and in Belgrade 2013.
    And I saw Genesis with Steve Hackett, in Munich, 1977; it was the last Genesis' gig with Maestro Hackett.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I saw two Genesis shows on the "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" tour in 1975. The first show was at the Shrine Auditorium in L.A. (the show that was released in recent years with the modern-day overdubs). The other was the next night was at Golden Hall, San Diego. Both were fantastic shows, though I seem to recall thinking at the time that the Shrine show was more intense but the San Diego show was more technically perfect.

I saw Peter Gabriel at the Roxy in L.A. in 1977 when he was touring his first album. This show was broadcast on the radio and is an easily available bootleg.

I saw Gabriel next in 1980 at the Orpheum Theatre in Boston when he was touring PG3.

And, lastly, I saw him in 1982 at the Orpheum, Boston, when he was touring PG4(Security).

All of those were amazing shows, some of the most memorable of my concert-going career. I think my fondest memory is of the Roxy show. That album and show were just so unexpected, fresh, and exciting...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Genesis;
    Nassau Colosseum 11/81 Three Sides Live -first time, exciting for that reason alone
    Forrest Hill Tennis Stadium 1982 - Amazing, mostly old material, complete Supper's Ready
    I'm pretty sure I saw them in 1983 but I don't recall where. Weird.

Gabriel: The Ritz, NYC 1982. Loved it at the time. As I've aged though I've lost interest in his solo material after scratch.

Musical Box: Westbury Music Fair either 2004 or 2005, I forget. That was amazing! :cool:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Now that's cool. I have a lovely soundboard from the night before in Zurich.

Svetonio likes this.
  25. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

I was at the Genesis reunion concert with Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett at Milton Keynes bowl in 1982. That was pretty memorable. At the start, four pallbearers carried a coffin on to the stage to the accompaniment of a heartbeat. Gabriel jumped out of it and began with Back In New York City. Gabriel immediately took charge again with a commanding presence on stage. It was pretty odd seeing Genesis perform Solisbury Hill and hearing Gabriel sing those lyrics "I was feeling part of the scenery, I walked right out of the machinery" though! Very glad I was there.

I also saw Gabriel in 1980 at Hammersmith Odeon, promoting his third album. Also a very strong gig.

Jimbino and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.