Did Anyone See Gabriel Era Genesis Live or Gabriel Live pre 1985?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matthew Tate, May 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yes saw Pg on both his first two of three U.S. tours pre 1985 in L.A. great shows,particularly with Fripp who appeared under a nom de plume.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

There's a great story about the balcony trick in Richard MacPhail's new-ish autobiography, My Book Of Genesis.

sbeck201 likes this.
  3. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

"Dusty Roads" / "Dusty Rhodes"

Not sure if they ever confirmed the spelling.

4. yes! That's what it was! I knew it had to be Fripp from the playing (being a KC fan and all).

5. Fuller

Fuller Forum Resident

Ah yes, I did a bit more delving on the Random Hold connection and came across this -
    The Random Hold Archive
    Really interesting recollections of their time with PG. Now when I think back to 38 years ago, I think PG did introduce them on stage too, a nice touch.

6. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

nice walk down memory lane. last time i seen them was "then there were three. for me the magic went with Peter & Steve. just my opinion, that and $1.79 US will get you a cup of crappy coffee. Lol peace

7. Yep, I have the same one in my cabinet of memories!

8. boagas1883

boagas1883 Forum Resident

There are only two Gabriel concert dates between 1977-1980 given on the Genesis Movement site.
    One is 1.10.77 at Cardiff Capital and the other 7.3.80 at Sophia Gardens,Cardiff.
    However,you wouldn't have been on the cricket pitch but rather inside Sophia Gardens Pavilion,a regular concert venue of the time,built for the Festival of Britain.
    Its' roof collapsed through heavy snow in 1982.

Sophia Gardens Pavilion - Wikipedia

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I never saw him in his early post Genesis period but his shows at the Glasgow Apollo were the thing of legend knew a few serious fans who stated he was the best live act they ever saw in that period-gigs were always sold out when I tried to go.
    Saw Genesis on the Duke Tour and Gabriel years later on the Growing Up Tour.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

The other thing I remember about that gig was the fate of two local PCs who were stationed at some point in the show at either side of stage to stop audience members from joining the band. The constables were required to stand right in front of the PA, in an age before earplugs, and they were not happy.

11. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

The old Genesis stuff has little connection to what Gabriel has been doing as a solo artist.

He could perform "The Carpet Crawlers" and perhaps a couple of songs from the "The Lamb..." but, otherwise, it wouldn't make much artistic sense to include the old prog epics as part of his show.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.