Did Brent Mydland's death kill the Grateful Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

This is the kind of answer someone that only reads the headlines in the newspaper would state. There is far more to their demise than the easy answer of 'substance abuse'.

Bobbo likes this.
  2. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I am not doubting that at all, just Jerry did not seem to look at Keith as a little brother as much as I felt he did with Brent, but of course it is all just an impression.

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

On the other hand, there was Jerry's penchant for leaving the stage when Brent started one of his own songs in the mid 80's (or perhaps it was more Brent starting up one of his songs after Jerry left the stage - I didn't see those shows).

BTW it was interesting in Bill's book where he wrote that Vince was also primarily Jerry's choice, and that Jerry seemed to like that his keyboard playing was "understated" during the audition.

4. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

I'm betting that Bill Graham's horrific death put more of the frighteners into Jer than Brent's.

HotHere likes this.
  5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

They both were damages to a very shaky foundation, very likely.

I think I'll spin the 2 disc set of reckoning tonight after work. I like Brett's playing on that one.

905 and telepicker97 like this.
  6. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

True and true.

However, That's all I wanted to say about the topic.

7. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

No! And also, no.

davmar77 likes this.
  8. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

It seemed to me the Dead always got the wrong type of person to be their keyboard player.

Not talking about talent or fitting in with the music but Pig, Keith, Brent and Vince all seemed to be on the shy side with not enough self esteem to handle the amount of pressure of being in such a huge band with such strong personalities, add in someone with a taste for drink and drugs to go along along with the scene..

9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Bruce did not have that problem

10. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Jerry also liked Vince........liked his input on bringing back "Here Comes Sunshine" and the many Beatles songs the last few years.

11. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Bruce wasn't really an official band member.

12. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Neither was TC, and he turned out fine too - I see a pattern here...

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  13. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Yep, Baba O'Riley, Vince's own songs, etc.

Jerry liked him because he didn't try to be a clone of anyone else - he came in and was just...Vinnie. I think Jerry really dug his personality AND his playing for the same reasons, he was really understated and different texturally than any keyboard player that Garcia worked with. Except maybe Merle Saunders, who could play ANYTHING.

14. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

Well, it certainly killed Brent.:cry:

15. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The first time I saw the Dead, Brent and Bruce were both playing, though Bruce may have just sat in for some numbers, as The Range were the openers. I thought it was after Brent's suicide that they offered Hornsby the job, but he didn't want to give up his solo gig. I even remember an interview with him when he was filling in where they asked him if he had joined, and he evasively answered "I'm not sure."

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

TC was an official member. (Bill says he didn't consider him a full member in his book, but that is just him being a crank, I think.)

telepicker97 likes this.
  17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I remember seeing them, I think it was in 1990, and Jerry was noticeably thinner. I think this was around the time he got into scuba diving. Wish it could have taken. :shake:

vudicus likes this.
  18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Last I heard he was hiding from the Grim Reaper in Hickory, NC, my old home town. I know my (now former) brother in law, who's an amateur musician and stand-up, used to run into him.

telepicker97 likes this.
  19. Faceman

Faceman Forum Resident

I agree Bobbo, I saw it the same way. I thought Hornsby was great, but there was something missing after Mydlands died

20. According to Tom Davis (from Franken and Davis and a drug buddy of Garcia) the Dead tried an intervention with Garcia and he said he'd quit the band if he had to choose between drugs and the Dead. That was the beginning of the end.

rbbert and Tony Sclafani like this.
  21. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Didn't Hunter said in a rollingstone interview lately that Garcia wasn't planning on living forever or something like that?

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

TC just shared some videos on Facebook of a gig he did recently with a string quartet where one of my college friends played cello.

seed_drill likes this.
  23. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

It was obvious to those of there, the loss of Brent deeply effected Jerry. It was a huge loss. As many have said, losing Jerry is what really finished the band. There were very good musical moments for a few years following Brent's death. Impossible to say if Brent hadn't died what effect, if any, that may have played on Jerry, but given what we know; doesn't appear it would have mattered.

24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've never heard that one before.
    All I know is the surviving members only had really good things to say about Brent's performances that year (1990).

25. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Uh, no.

Jerquee and seed_drill like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.