Did Criterion ever release a real stinker?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DrewHarris, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

They put out so many obscure and edgy (to most folks) films, that any one of them could be a stinker to anyone.
    One persons meat is another persons foot fungus.

It took me two viewings to appreciate Salo.
    That old man is the personification of depravity and the story's symbol of facsist oppression.

2. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I didn't know there was any "universal hate" for Tiny Furniture.... Roger Ebert gave it a decent review (3 stars).
    I actually just watched it myself last weekend and I thought it was alright...

:shrug:

3. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

It's the only good movie Michael Bay has ever done.

Dudley Morris, The Hud and wayneklein like this.
  4. Both Michael Bay movies and he's the most "arty" of the destructive blockbuster directors so I'm sure that also helped justify it to Criterion. When I saw both of them I thought "what the F"? Criterion was, I'm sure, experimenting with these to see if they could reach people who never bought their movies and who might be intrigued enough to try more ( probably unlikely) . I'm sure that some film fans were bugging them for more popular fare like this. I wasn't.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  5. I feel that way about Wes Anderson's films that and the fact I just can't stand them. I will admit that I have enjoyed a couple of them but his "quirky" style is pretentious, self conscious.

6. Nope. And to my knowledge no one has ever confused them with each other.

7. To be fair Criterion has always eschewed the notion of being a label for just "arty" or "Oscar worthy" films. That's more a reputation hoisted on them by consumers (and some in the press).

8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I think the bigger issue is that the end of the film was given away. I've never seen this one.

9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

If nothing else, the Criterion DVD of Armageddon is an interesting curiosity because it actually contains a slightly (2-3 min) longer version of the film.

mikeyt likes this.
  10. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

...and to be fair, he's only had 32 years to see it.:rolleyes:

Ghostworld likes this.
  11. Synthfreek

What does that have to do with anything? Has everyone here seen every film that's at least 32 years old? It's ALWAYS uncool to reveal a film's ending.

12. Avenging Robot

I think if it's enough to get your panties in a twist, 32 years is ample enough time to fit it into your agenda.

13. Synthfreek

So you HAVE seen every movie that's at least 32 years old and don't mind me exposing major twist endings all over the forum? Again, a film's age is no reason to ruin its ending for ones who haven't seen it.

14. Avenging Robot

Don't you have to go yell at a cloud now?

mikeyt likes this.
  15. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Indeed.

I've only seen Salò once, and I never want to see it again, but that doesn't mean it's a bad film. On the contrary, Pasolini is a master filmmaker, and he did his job all too well with this one. It's an important film, which should be available in fine editions such as those from Criterion and the BFI.

16. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Andy Warhol's Frankenstein

17. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Nah, that one's awesome. It's just a shame it's non-anamorphic.

18. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Don't let that stop you, it's not really the film's ending moment.

19. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Do you like the UK release. I have both and prefer, well, both. Both are nice. However, the dude chatting about the film on the UK version if he says Hawkian one mo' time I'll clip him around the ears. Call it scholar masterbation to the 'ian extremo.

20. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Yes. How did you know I'd bought the Masters of Cinema edition as well? The MoC edition is from a different source. The transfer isn't as clean, clear and sharp as the Criterion, but the density isn't wrong. The correct brightness is quite a contrast to the Criterion. To watch the Masters of Cinema edition is to realize just how far wrong the Criterion went.

By the way I don't enjoy criticizing Criterion, because they do impeccable work and have issued lovely transfers of films that are important to me. But Red River deserves a right and proper transfer, and someone has to point out that Criterion's transfer is at least two clicks too bright. So bright that facial textures are washed out. It spoils the viewing. I'm sure they realize this. They should have issued a corrected disc, whether the customers complained or not.

Todd Fredericks likes this.
  21. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I like it also. I'm holding out for a 3-D blu-ray. It is on blu now, but it's tooty. *

* 2-D

22. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

I got that vibe from him and the Gerard Butler lookalike. Next thing from Criterion - A Serbian Film!

23. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Now that would awesome! ;)

24. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I'm still interested in picking up the Criterion release for the alternate version of the movie, but I'm definitely going to hold on to my old MGM disc as well. :)

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

[​IMG]

Pinknik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.