Did/Do you follow the charts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SITKOL'76, Dec 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I currently follow the BBHot 100 chart, do you or did you ever follow popularity charts? If yes, when and why did you stop?

2. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Yes when I was a teenager, and I stopped because 1) I really didn't like the top 40 of the era (early '90s) anyway, and 2) after I graduated from high school, I no longer lived in an area where I had immediate access to Billboard. (This was 1991 - the Internet was a few years off yet.)

3. zen

zen Senior Member

Perhaps a third option: I used to.

4. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

5. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I did back in the late 60s starting when I was about 10. I quit in the early 70s probably when I was about 14. I got into FM radio and albums and pretty much quit buying singles. I haven't paid attention to the charts since that time.

6. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

Yes as a kid I would pick up Billboard magazine & listen faithfully to Casey Kasem's countdowns. Now I don't have a clue.

7. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I was hugely into charts. I listened to both Casey and my local radio station in York PA which had a top 25 countdown. I also collected the charts from the record store providec by a Philadelphia radio station. Later in life, I even was coordinator of an important indie chart that achieved some acclaim. I made an arrangement with Cashbox magazine and got our indie charts on there for several years til we ended the relationship for various reasons.

However while the Billboard 200 still interests me some, the Hot 100 wasn't the same after 1975 or so, the songs involved just got weaker and weaker. The current top 40 and for years now in my opinion has been a complete embarrassment.

goodiesguy and Peter Pyle like this.
  8. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

No, not really. I'm more likely to follow YouTube view numbers.

9. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Nope. I could care less.

goodiesguy, Sax-son and c-eling like this.
  10. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

Pre-internet a copy of Billboard was amazing.

11. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Same here, numbers/the masses don't decide what I like

12. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

I did when I was a teenager back in the 70's. Then I grew up and it didn't seem important anymore.

There should have been a 3rd option of - I used to.

13. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

I used to but I stopped probably in the mid 80's. So from 1970 to around 1985 or 1986.

14. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I used to but it was a long, long time ago. CHUM FM used to publish them, pick 'em up in the record stores. I think it was the top 40 singles and top 10 albums. Always interesting to see what's climbing and falling locally.

The modern version of the "charts". :)

Glenn Christense likes this.
  15. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Used to follow the "progressive music" charts in the '70s.

16. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yeah, when I was a kid in the 60's WLS and later WCFL in Chicago would publish top 40 charts every week that I'd pick up at my local record store.

I'd root for my favorite 45's to go higher and be peeved when songs that didn't meet my standards did better than my favorites. It was something to do; compare the current weeks top 40 compared to the previous weeks chart. It was a different era then .:D

17. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Never, I don't care where an album or single charts. Same thing with films. I do hope they are successful enough to warrant more from the artist but I don't own stock in WB, Disney, Sony or Paramount so I don't follow.

18. stollar

stollar Forum Resident

As of 14/4/2014 The Beatles has spent 2686 weeks on the Billboard 200.

paulewalnutz likes this.
  19. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

In my teens/early 20s i used to follow them religiously, that all stopped when i started to realize that almost everything not on the charts is better than what's on them.

20. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

When I was in high school (1979-1982), my school library had a subscription to either the NME or Melody Maker (which is actually pretty amazing). I used to watch the charts to see what was new from my favorite UK artists, and look forward to either getting the import a few months later at the local 'cool' record store or possibly a domestic release.

21. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

Another I Used To here. Couldn't care less today, unless I want a good laugh. :angel:

Platterpus likes this.
  22. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

I've never even considered looking at any current charts.

Platterpus likes this.
  23. John54

John54 Senior Member

Was I ever a chart geek? Yes, of course, from the 1960s until sometime in the 1980s. I still recall Sherry by the Four Seasons going 10 - 7 - 8 - 7 - 10 on the British radio station I used to listen to (whatever it was). I recall Mockingbird by Inez Foxx going 12 - 9 - 1 on CKOC. I was always into numbers and math and it was a big part of my musical childhood.

I'm not sure exactly when I stopped but I lost some interest when the music declined in the (very) late '60s or early '70s. I had a half dozen '80s CKOC charts but I might have thrown them out and I don't want to bother looking through a big pile of papers where they might be if I didn't.

24. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

As a teenager, I used to listen to American Top 40 with Kasey Casem every week and write down the chart. Then after I got my first job in 1977 I subscribed to Billboard Magazine directly. I kept th subscription for about 4-5 years. Then I became more interested in what I liked than what was popular on the charts.

25. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I did in the 70's. Listened to Casey every week. Even taped the year end specials on my cassette recorder. We had a local radio station that put out a top 30 chart every week, and I had every copy for about seven years of the 70's. Now I look at the top 10 charts and don't know a single song or artist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.