Did/Do you follow the charts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SITKOL'76, Dec 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

While I wouldn't qualify so much as "chart geek",I have paid some attention to whatever the public deemed as attention giving for decades.Movie grosses,New York Times Bestselling Books,Nielsen TV ratings,Arbitron radio ratings and,for music,only Billboard.With tech dvances,these lists pinointed more accurately what was really happening and,at the same time,ways to manipulate numbers in a very legal and accurate way.Which is better?Calling up an indi shop and a chain store buyer and asking what's hot or lowballing a single,give it exposure at checkouts and watch the real yet fraudulent numbers add up(Tommy Mottola & Mariah Carey,I'm looking at you).What came to pass is the importance of faster results and the importance of first days and overnight numbers.And then we move on to he next shiny object in front of us. The days of slow,steady growth,word of mouth,with music albums,the second and third single and maybe,just maybe,the cream is allowed to reach the top.But not that often.So nowadays it seems to be almost the opposite-if it charts big out of the box,it probably sucks.I'll stick to the slow cooker in my interests in media.Right now I'm interested in a series of books taking sections of Little Golden Books and applying the images to modern,grown-up life.I'm listening to Christmas music almost as ldl as I am(no,not on Edison cylinders).Just revisited The Thin Man on TCM.And not caring if anyone else is doing the same.

2. PiratesFan

PiratesFan Forum Resident

I do some DJ'ing as a hobby, so I keep up with the charts just to see what's popular among the younger crowd. Just to try to stay "hip."

3. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I always let the music do the talking. There were songs that went number one on the charts that I completely detested. That's why the number never meant anything to me.

Platterpus likes this.
  4. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Why, those can be gamed, they're a joke.

5. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Used to follow all the solo Beatles releases. Now I could care less.

6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Chart geek? Not really. I'll read them from time-to-time but never really tracked numbers. Then or now.

7. Sill Nyro

Sill Nyro Forum Resident

No. I don't care about them.

Platterpus likes this.
  8. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I never have.

Platterpus likes this.
  9. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

You're right, they can be. They're just more interesting to me than the charts in general.

10. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Why would I bother when there's so much better music out there?

11. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Me too. I was glued to Casey's countdown all through the 70s. Great memories. Miss Casey.

paulewalnutz likes this.
  12. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Admittedly, yes I have. I post on UK Mix and I'm always interested in chart stats, especially if it's an artist I like...

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes from the 60-80's. I have all of Joel Whitman's books.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yea me too...no interest whatsoever.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  15. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Like most others, I used to until I was in high school in the mid 80's. Haven't had the time to care for the last 30 years..

16. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

I've been following the Billboard charts since 2005.

So since I was 14.

17. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I don't now and never really did. I am not a hater but I just never really got into the popular stuff, then or now.

Scott

18. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

19. LuLu Reed

LuLu Reed Well-Known Member

20. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I used to religiously follow the charts, probably until the late 1970's/early 1980's.
    Now I'd venture to say that I wouldn't even know 197 of the artists on the top 200 chart.

21. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I started to follow the CJCB Top 30 in 1981. The following year it became the CJCB Top 40. I continued to follow the chart religiously until mid 1985 when my tastes changed and I started to get into metal.

22. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I did during the rock era. After around 1980 I didn't pay them much mind, they didn't seem to mean a lot after that, after all the stations started choosing up sides and becoming compartmentalized.

Back in the 60s and 70s a local radio station kept something called "hit line surveys" which were printed up every couple of weeks and were free , they were in any store that sold 45s , normally in a rack right beside the 45s free for the taking.
    I kept a lot of them and have a couple of the boxes that ties come in full of them.

23. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

24. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

Not for the last 20+ years.

25. 3ringcircus

3ringcircus Forum Resident

Guess it depends how old you are. There was a time when the Top 100 actually represented the best of pop music. Sure, there were turkeys like "Ballad Of The Green Berets," but for the most part, it was the cream of the crop. So it served as a buyer's guide for a number of years. Concept albums and freeform FM stations changed all that, and the album charts became more important. Lost interest in the mid-70s as the number of new artists I liked diminished.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.