Did George Martin "disown" the first two Beatles albums in stereo?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

My useless Beatle thread for the day but I'm hazy on this. I know there are people here who know the correct answer.

Did I read that Martin claimed (sometimes in the 1980s) that the first two albums were not meant to be released in stereo? Or it was a fluke or an accident or something? Or did he say they weren't officially released in stereo at all?

Something like that, right?

I was listening (on an old cassette of the British version of "Rock & Roll Music") to the song MONEY in stereo. That must have been a bitch to mix into stereo. Probably took a long time, right? They had to sync up two machines and all that? I never really believed that story but I guess it's what they did. So, someone really "bothered" to do a good stereo mix of that song (and they did). Obviously it was fussed over and when the album was released in November of 1963 the stereo version was offered right there with the mono on the same day. I've seen that ad.

And how about the "struggle" to do a stereo version of the song PLEASE PLEASE ME? They could have just done a fake stereo dub like LOVE ME DO, PS I LOVE YOU but they bothered to try and get the harmonica part in there. That must have been hard to do for a stereo mix. Why did they bother? Because the album was going to be issued in stereo. What other reason?

The first album had a stereo and mono release at the same time as well, right? I mean to say that they were both released at the same time. Someone once told me that the stereo version of the first album came out 1/2 year later than the mono. Can that be true? Anyone ever see an official release sheet with catalog numbers on it?

I guess Sir George was incorrect.

2. He claimed no knowledge of the first two being issued in stereo at all,
    it was in Record, Musician or Audio magazines (the three I was reading
    back when the interview took place).

I think he blamed the label and unnamed EMI tape ops for the records
    coming out in stereo w/o his cooperation. This after the interviewer corrected his memory on the matter.

Of course he swears the only reason for the 2-track vocal-instrumental
    "split" is to give him the leverage to make a proper mono mix.
    Logical, he used the tools of the day at their maximum flexibility.

3. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

PPM was released in mono in March, 1963, the stereo LP in April.

4. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Stan is correct: there was definately a delay in releasing the stereo version of PPM. However, Steve's observations about the effort that was put into some of the stereo mixes certainly points to a concerted effort with regard to the stereo mixes.

My guess (without checking Lewisohn) is that GM didn't attend any of the stereo mixing sessions and so wasn't aware that they'd taken place and, by extension, that the albums had been issued in stereo.

5. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

Considering that The Beatles at this stage were not his only clients (or even a "high priority"), there's a good reason why he wasn't aware of their existence. It's not unlike stories of artists who talk about getting items to autograph, and they didn't realize the item existed. It's not as if Peter Grant is going to jump from the tour bus and go "sorry, can't have this signed, unofficial material. Let's head to Cleveland, gents."

6. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

They were intend for stereo release from the get go. He may not like the results - they are an acquired taste - but certainly there was not a single fake stereo track on With The Beatles which suggests someone at EMI cared to get it right.
    It may be more of an attempt by George Martin to explain away why the were issued in mono only in 1987.

7. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Martin has a fuzzy, or selective memory of a lot of things from the early days. For example, he tells that story of how "Please Please Me" was rejected because originally it was a slow, "Roy Orbison" type of song, and that after The Beatles recorded "How Do You Do It", they played the arrangement we now know and love, to which Martin says he exclaimed "You've just recorded your first #1!". We now know that a version of the same arrangement of the song was recorded at the "Love Me Do" session, with Andy White on drums, and was rejected for release, totally poking a hole the size of Tokyo in to Martin's story.

So it's not surprising that he might not have any memory of the stereo mixes of the first albums, either by chance or by choice.

8. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, in 1963 someone must have formulated a budget, booked time, got OK's, etc. to create a stereo mix, rework the artwork to have the "stereo" on it... This stuff has to be approved at the highest levels of a record company.

His interview I bet was in 1987 after the infamous "mistake"...

9. Memory is a tricky thing. "With the Beatles" was released in stereo and mono on the same day Nov. 22 1963 (unlike Please Please Me where there was nearly a difference of a month for the stereo and mono releases)and there's evidence (according to Mark Lewishon) that Martin was involved in EVERY stereo mix for both the first albums. Is it possible he wasn't there but was listed as producer? Sure but then that means that Norman Smith was there engineering the session since he was listed as engineer and Richard Langham, Geoff Emerick or A.B. Lincoln were there as second engineers so it wasn't like someone from Martin's "team" wasn't there.

Now the stereo mixes always happened AFTER the mono mixes were complete but I can't imagine Martin not approving of them/hearing them/being there. Later, Martin claimed in an interview (I can't recall the source) that he "preferred" the mono to the stereo mixes and that he considered those the definitive sources probably due to the fact that he was corrected on his statement about not being involved in the mixes (along with the fact that he mixed them so they would sound right if played on a mono phonograph). His schedule was pretty full in those days so I'm sure that if he didn't have a hand in everyone of them (but, again, according to the documentation that Lewisohn was able to dig up from the EMI archieves he was supposed to be "there" but he may have just been listed as "producer" on the remix sessions)he heard them before they were finally assembled for the mastertape.

All of this suggests that the stereo mixes were not a distant after thought.

I agree that it was probably Martin's line to the press (and fans) as to why the mono and not the stereo mixes were released on CD.

After all, if many fans here had heard that the stereo was coming as well they might have held off on buying the mono version.

10. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

Is it possible he actually didn't remember?

Another apparent example of "they didn't just release the twin tracks" is "Hold Me Tight," which is a distinctly different edit of the backing vocal overdubs than the mono. But...I think....an edit nonetheless.

11. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

Didn't GM actually call the stereo mixes (in 1987) "the bane of his existence?" Or something close to that? I didn't trust him. I was totally suspicious of the things he said in those interviews. After hearing Dizzy Miss Lizzy on CD I knew his ear or memory (or both) just wasn't trust worthy.

12. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I recall his words. He called the stereo mixes "the bane of my existence".

13. Steve Hoffman

Wonder why? Because they sound better than his "hard hitting" mono mixes?

14. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

IIRC, it was the June 1987 issue of Audio. Lewisohn says Martin was present for the stereo mixes, along with engineers Norman Smith and A.B. Lincoln.

Derek

15. Dave D

Dave D Done!

16. AH On Vibes

AH On Vibes New Member

:laugh::agree:

17. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

No. He first mentioned not knowing about the stereo mixes of the first two in his 1979 book 'All you need is ears'.

18. Steve Hoffman

Wow. I interviewed him in 1977 and we talked about all of this stuff (how the stereo versions came together, etc.)

Quite an about face for some reason..

19. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

Someone tell me the difference between Meet The Beatles and With The Beatles. Aren't they the same Lp?

20. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Thanks, interesting interview. Not quite sure what to make of George, I guess sometimes when you are so close to things, it is difficult to see the big picture.

21. Steve Hoffman

No.

22. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Meet The Beatles is a compilation from Capitol USA, With The Beatles is the real deal!!

23. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

24. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I thought George did NOT intend for at least PPM to be released in stereo.

Even though I prefer it that way, despite the (now)wonky separation. It's neat to be able to hear the Beatles without vocals and vice versa.

Evan

25. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

It's intriguing to think that Kozinn suggested two-fers to Martin BEFORE the original CDs had all been issued and Martin thought it a good enough suggestion to mention to Menon... There's a parallel world for us all to dream about...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.