Did Hendrix worship kill the Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chemically altered, Jun 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Gibson les Paul was as popular among guitar heroes 40 years ago as the Fender Stratocaster, but did the Stratocaster become the guitar of choice over the Les Paul after Jimi's death and his iconic attachment to the Strat?

2. moops

moops Senior Member

I'd say it held it's own through the '70s ......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck switched away from using a Les Paul during the seventies.

4. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

I felt like it was the opposite... while the Strat is still a blues icon, it seems like the Les Paul displaced it in the rock n roll world as rock lost its roll in the 70s due in no small part to the Les Paul/Marshall combo

5. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

The Les Paul is dead? That's a bit hyperbolic wouldn't you say?

6. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Yes, but beck played one on his best selling album (Blow by Blow) and all up until then. It had nothing to do with Hendrix.

And Clapton played that SG in Cream, did he go back to LPs before taking up the Strat? He heard 'Big Pink' and wanted to go country-rock anyhow, so that Strat made sense.

Ditto Jerry Garcia, who went from P90 LPs to SGs to Strats (basically)

All to do with the sound they wanted rather than anything with Hendrix.

Also someone like Eddie Hazel of Funkadelic went from playing Strats because of Hendrix to playing a Les Paul later on in the 70s.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  7. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

Whaat? No way. I don't know statistics of sales but there are a lot of guitar players who used Les Paul later on.

8. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Really, when you think about it, the Gibson Les Paul and the Fender Stratocaster snuffed all the Rickenbacker momentum once hard rock took hold.

9. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

My point wasn't that Beck and Clapton's change had something to do with Hendrix, just that they switched away from a Les Paul. Both are popular players.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  11. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Since the 70's, when I've gone shopping in music stores I never see any Les Paul's. When I ask a clerk about if they have Les Paul guitars, they laugh at me!
    "We haven't stocked those guitars since the early 70's" they say.
    I ask why not.
    "Why Jimi Hendrix killed the Les Paul.
    Didn't you hear? There are none to be had!"
    I sadly leave their store.

12. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Les Pauls are alive and well in Michigan. Fender guitars are great, but the real deal is a Gibson.

13. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I hate strats (yes I have one) and I love les pauls. for me it's not "strat and les paul", it's "tele and les paul".

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Worshipping any guitar. . . is just wrong. That's like worshipping one way to skin a cat!

15. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Since the late 60’s (until current times), I have seen a lot of guitarists playing Fender Stratocasters, Fender Telecasters, Gibson Les Paul’s and Gibson SG’s. Of course, like many players - I started with a Harmony guitar before buying my first Strat and SG.

ianuaditis likes this.
  16. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Rickenbacker were still popular in the UK during the 70's..Especially in the Mod scene.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Never cared to own a Strat or an LP but they both seem to be doing OK without me. If I was somewhere without one of my guitars and playing one or other was my only option, hand me the LP.

18. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

Tastes in guitars come and go I guess. And a lot of depended upon what super popular musicians played which model. Les Paul on TV in the 50s probably sold a lot of those models. Then Buddy Holly on TV with a strat probably sold a lot of those.

However, "a lot" back then wasnt all that much.

Hendrix was very hi profile and so his dedication to the strat probably sold a lot, or, made people think "this is what an electric guitar should be" or something.. for a couple of years.

But it didnt last. I also heard Jimmy Page was so hi profile in the early 70s, especially in America, that he did the same thing with the les paul.

the point is, no, Hendrix didnt kill the les paul.. no single player killed anything.

If you want a ruder answer, try the forum at mylespaul.com, then return and report on ensuing carnage.

recklessczar and GuildX700 like this.
  19. Wombat Reynolds

some players still used them in the late 60s and early 70s - John Fogerty for example, altho he had other guitars too, like a les paul.

Part of the reason for the big switch away from the Ricks was the arrival of huge hi powered amps. Ricks dont jangle when you plug into those old plexis and supers. They feed back like crazy. If you're the Jam, thats a good thing. If you wanted the fat chunky skull crushing sound with the sustain of notes that lasts forever, les pauls did that. If you wanted the hi pitched crazy sound with the whammy arm, strats did that. Ricks didnt do either, they excelled at something else.

At least back in the early 70s. Thanks to todays musical gear scene, you can make any guitar sound like anything you want. Back then? Nope. Not onstage anyway.

Johnny66, Tuco, GuildX700 and 2 others like this.
  20. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Nothing beats a Fender neck. It's that simple.

21. Wombat Reynolds

I hate Fender necks and put all-parts necks on every Fender I own.

to each his own.

Midnight Rambler and MikeMig like this.
  22. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

It didn't really kill the LP at all. Through the LP's history, there were times of slow sales (gold finish boring now, switch to sunburst; body type being boring, redesign into the SG, etc.) but the Strat never really killed the LP at all.

In fact, there were slow sales for both at different times: the Strat was briefly considered to be phased out with the introduction of the Jazzmaster (but that didn't happen, of course).

I would say that Hendrix helped to boost sales of the Strat for a bit, but then not too long after you have the Beano album coming out and everyone wanting a Les Paul because Clapton had one on the back cover, and Clapton getting tons of cheap vintage Strats in Nashville.

GuildX700 likes this.
  23. Clint_f

Clint_f Forum Resident

Also for a good part of the 60s the LP as was out of production, the SG took it's place. It went back into production in the late very late 60s.

EddieT, ianuaditis and melstapler like this.
  24. Wombat Reynolds

Beano came out in 22 July 1966.

Hendrix first album came out on May 12, 1967, August in the USA

nikh33, Johnny66, Strummergas and 3 others like this.
  25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

They are both great for different sounds.

Clapton's solo on While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Great Les Paul sound.

Clapton's solo on Bell Bottom Blues. Great Strat sound.

I wouldn't have those any other way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.