Did I make a mistake in buying this ABBA CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

I just won this Japanese pressing of ABBA Greatest Hits:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4729113469

Given the P33P catalog number shown on the booklet, this looks to be the original Japanese Polydor release. Has anyone heard it and compared it to the Atlantic or West German Polydor compilations? I was a bit surprised that no one else bid given the popularity of ABBA and given that it's an early CD. I'm thinking that no one else bid because either the disc does not sound good or because it's identical to the Atlantic and West German Polydor discs.

Thanks!

2. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Well, if you collect ABBA you got something different for your pile; if you went after great sound and it sounds mediocre/bad, Ebay it again...

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

Well, that's obvious. I'm just wondering if anyone has heard this disc and could offer a comment on the sound quality. I won't receive the disc for awhile since it's coming from Japan.

4. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

The reason why noone bid for it is probably that its existence is not terribly well known and many probably thought it was a bootleg.

It looks geninue though and I think you have landed a real rarity there. I've never actually see one of those before although I have heard about them :righton: .

The CD was released in Japan only in July 1986. It has a unique tracklisting, combining elements of Greatest Hits Vols 1 and 2. It also includes the Spanish version of Fernando as its final track, which is something not advertised on the Ebay sale.

In terms of sound quality, they would have used different tapes to the US and German pressings because the CD would probably have been pressed in Japan. So it would probably have been mastered using whatever tapes Polydor Japan had so as I've never heard it, I can't comment on the sound quality.

If you tire of it, I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands!! Anyway, report back on the sound quality - I'm curious to heard how it compared with the Atlantic pressing of Greatest Hits.

Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.