Did John Lennon love the soundtrack to Xanadu ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by helter, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helter

helter Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I've been reading this long thread on Hoffman about the soundtrack to Xanadu.
    I didn't realize that ELO's All over the world and Olivia Newton John's Magic were on that album together.
    But I seem to remember John Lennon commenting about those songs shortly before his death.
    Scan through the Playboy interview........nothing.

Went to my now very rare copy of Bantam books by Vic Garbarini and Barbara Graustark "John Lennon Remembered " which contains the "complete Newsweek interview from September 1980" unlike the very brief one published in the magazine .

The only 2 songs he specifically mentions as liking a lot are
    Magic and All Over the World both on Xanadu
    See my scan below image.jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  2. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Well, it would make sense, because he did seem to be an ELO fan, calling them 'Sons of Beatles'.

3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I seem to recall him mentioning in an interview with Andy Peebles that he'd recently bought 2 singles. One of which was Olivia's Magic. Can't remember what the other one was, though...

4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Both of those songs were big hit singles that year. That doesn't mean he liked (or even heard) the whole soundtrack.

Personally, I love those songs too but can't stand the rest of the album.

5. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

He also liked the B52s and most reggae

goodiesguy and helter like this.
  6. helter

Yes, but the fact that he only mentions 2 songs and their both on the same album together would lead me to believe he owned the soundtrack.
    Too much of a coincidence IMO

7. theMess likes this.
  8. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Who doesn't?

MMM likes this.
  9. helter

According to Wiki the soundtrack to Xanadu was released in August of 1980 about 1 month before the interview with Lennon by Newsweek magazine

10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Maybe someone will find a note that he left for Fred Seaman, asking Fred to pick up the Xanadu soundtrack along with his favorite yogurt and cat food. There was a previous note found to Fred that asked Fred to pick up Paul's Back To The Egg, so who knows what other notes are out there? ;) Arnie

GoodKitty and theMess like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.