Did John really want to leave The Beatles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FernandaDireit, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

John himself said he started the band so he should end it.

EDIT: I may have been thinking about this Rolling Stone article in 2009:

Long before John Lennon told the world, "The dream is over," Paul McCartney had already delivered the news. Lennon took his partner's statement as an unacceptable usurpation. "I wanted to do it and I should have done it," Lennon said. "I was a fool not to do it, not to do what Paul did, which was use it to sell a record." But the resentment went deeper than that. The Beatles had originally been John Lennon's band, and in his heart its fate depended on him. "I started the band, I disbanded it. It's as simple as that," he said. Lennon, it seemed, was upset that it was McCartney who had been seen as leaving him, and not the other way around. "I think it was just straightforward jealousy," Paul told Barry Miles. At the time, McCartney told a newspaper, "Ringo left first, then George, then John. I was the last to leave! It wasn't me!"

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  2. Regandron

Regandron Forum Resident

John moved out, Paul changed the locks.

3. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I know plenty that would agree but how many that would is not interesting nor an argument. Let It Be is an amazing album filled with first class skilled song writing, a classic gem.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  4. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Agree, their last three is their best - The Beatles peaked in 1968 and 1969.

Hey Vinyl Man and Fullbug like this.
  5. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

Funny thing is that their "worst" album is better than most bands "best " albums. Besides, they still managed to pair up for occasional projects. Also, I noticed that the music world didn't cease to exist after the break up. Personally, I am glad they broke up before they they put out some really terrible album on purpose.

6. To think that they regrouped and recorded the amazing Abbey Road album after the relatively disastrous Let It Be is mind-boggling.

7. sami

sami Mono still rules

Whatever the case, Kraftwerk was still a far more influential band.

Tuna82 likes this.
  8. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

In some ways Let It Be is better then Abbey Road, so not that much so really.

9. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

One of many myths.

10. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

To answer the question, I don't think any of them really wanted to split completely for all time, if it had been today they would take pauses and regrouped, artists today have learned from the past, it's not that black or white anymore.

11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Totally disgree. Their peak was Help to MMT. The white album was full of filler and odds and ends, Get Back was shelved because they themselves judged it unworthy of release. Abbey Road was a fair effort but I prefer everything pre 1968 to that one.

Shaker Steve and Dudley Morris like this.
  12. pmc7070

pmc7070 Forum Resident

I really do wish that I could be as talented and write 'filler' like they did.

I love the album Let It Be.

The Trinity, abzach and Zeki like this.
  13. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.