Did Keith Richards really play the guitar solo on "Sympathy For the Devil"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Exile On My Street, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

:righton::laugh:

2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

If I play my mono album backwards it doesn't sound like Keith at all.

Scopitone and dkmonroe like this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I just googled that and found a discussion on the IORR board, apparently someone there speculated it was Mason because it sounds kind of like the solo in "Dear Mr. Fantasy". I gave a quick compare and the guitar tone on the two is quite similar but IMO it sounds like two very different players.

4. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Agreed- my curiosity is satisfied....

5. Nah, it was Francis Bacon.

vonwegen, RexKramer, Kermit27 and 3 others like this.
  6. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

It was totally me.

That statement is just as plausible as saying it wasn't Keef.

7. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

Years ago a guy who was big into music told me it was Jimmy Page on that solo. I never heard that anywhere else, so I took it with a grain of salt.
    To me it sounds like Keith was inspired by Hendrix on this solo. But if I found out it wasn't Keith, that would not surprise me much. The Beatles used an uncredited Eric Clapton for a solo around this time.

8. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

Of course it's him. Sounds similar to a lot of other his fills and lead work from '67/'68. It's the one time in his career where he was regularly doing lead work that fell outside the double-stop Chuck Berry style.

Those brittle-sounding transistor amps he was using at the time also made this era unique for him.

cc--, GTOJUDGE and JuanTCB like this.
  9. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Well that's a new one!

Incidentally, Jimmy Page did provide a solo on a Stones song but it was "One Hit To The Body" in 1986:

Carserguev, junk and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  10. Tex_Writer

Tex_Writer Well-Known Member

As have we all ...

[​IMG]

longaway, Carserguev, KASHMIR and 6 others like this.
  11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

While admittedly there's no evidence to support it, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that Keith claimed credit for some of Brian's work in this era, as it was not beyond the Glimmer Twins to claim credit for others work, and Brian didn't stick around long enough to argue the point.

12. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Well he doesn't play the intro or beginning part of the solo recognizably anymore, I don't think he ever played it that way ever again live....but if you do listen to lots of various "Sympathy" live solos over the many many years, I've found that he plays bits and pieces of it, little molecules of that original solo, but in different places or rearranged in different ways. But never that opening lick of the studio version, which is of course the hardest part to play. It's more about hand positions, finger positions on the neck, rather than specific exact notes or patterns, and his phrasing has never been the same but it's always distinctly in the same ballpark as that original solo.

I can't point to them now but I am 100% sure I've heard small pieces of that original solo replicated, certain licks and bits, at various points in different "Sympathy" solos over the years. Just scrambled and rearranged each night.

13. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

That's Steve Winwood on Fantasy not Dave Mason

BIG ED, tkl7, dino77 and 1 other person like this.
  14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Steve Winwood plays the guitar solo on Dear Mr. Fantasy- not Dave.

15. chacha

Keith never seems to play anything Live the same way twice including signature riffs of his songs.

MRamble likes this.
  16. chacha

that's crazy talk - don't believe it

17. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

OK, I just did a quick search and repeated another's mistake, I'm not the expert on Traffic.

GodShifter likes this.
  18. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

SW doesnt get enough credit for his guitar playing

Glync, rgutter, zebop and 2 others like this.
  19. chacha

The Beatles made it abundantly clear when the album was released that Clapton was playing on Weeps.

20. old school

old school Senior Member

It's Keith, the best solo he ever did.
    Never again did he reach such brilliance.

21. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

I concur - and the above gives me confidence it may be true - that as it's Keef on bass, that's his solo. As a bassist/guitarist, it is something about the hand and finger positions rather than specifics, not to mention just "the vibe" say that to me, and it just smells like a Keef solo, however unlike his other work it is. So is the bassline.
    My 2c

Carserguev likes this.
  22. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

Marianne AND Anita...see film..

23. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

He got a lot of exposure when he went out on Tour with Clapton. Fine guitar player, although I do think Mason plays that particular tune better himself..:laugh:

24. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

I think most evidence points to it being Keith. But compare this solo to his solo in the 1974 track Ain't Too Proud to Beg, which is as sloppy as he ever got. One wonders if drugs played a part in that.

25. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

It's clearly Keith. His style is pretty distinctive. In my opinion, it's the best solo he ever did in a studio setting (his second solo on "Slave", years later, is arguably just as good). The live version on Ya-Ya's has him playing most of the same notes, but with a completely different sound. That Ya-Ya's version, with he and MT trading solos, is my favourite rendition of the song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.