Did Midnight Oil peak with Blue Sky Mining?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chemically altered, Oct 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been a fan of the oils well before they went mega with the hit song Beds Are Burning from the album Diesel and Dust. I thought that the follow up album Blue Sky Mining was sensational and it's follow up Earth And Sun and Moon was nearly as good. Then I lost interest with Breath. They sounded tired and spent. So, do you think they peaked with any of their earlier albums like Blue Sky Mining, or are you an oils fan to the end?

shaboo, Purple, PDK and 2 others like this.
  2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

The three you mention is my opinion as to their peak. I think you've nailed it.

Chemically altered likes this.
  3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

These are the only three i really enjoy. Earth And Sun And Moon being my fave. Breathe was a hard comedown and i could never get past that.

4. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

My answer to your question is "yes"

5. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

Yep. They peaked on Blue Sky Mining.
    But the albums either side of it are stunning too.

6. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

Disagree - 10, 9, 8!

Aphoristical, SpudOz, zphage and 5 others like this.
  7. pjc1

pjc1 Forum Resident

Having just seen them this year on the reunion tour, I don't think they've lost anything performance-wise; they're still an exciting bundle of energy. Do try and catch them if you're a fan.

But, yeah, the later albums are a mixed bag.

8. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Good question... And i think my answer is "yes"...

9. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Pretty much, though Red Sails and 10, 9, 8 are both excellent as well.

10. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

i think so.

11. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

BSM is really a flawless album.

That said, D&D is perhaps even better, even if it isn't as personally meaningful to me.

E&S&M and Red Sails in the Sunset are also very very good and are close, if not quite on the same level.

12. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

Those three albums have been favorites of mine for 30 years. I like only a few songs off all of the other albums, and I've tried hard LOL Their "Unplugged" show was awesome, I picked up the boxed set last year just for it!

13. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Great album - but I think Diesel and Dust and Red Sails and the Species Deceases EP (maybe my fave) are just as good. On fire during that era. 10, 9, 8... not far behind.

Chemically altered and gregorya like this.
  14. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Big fan, I think the best material is on 10,9,8 Red Sails & Diesel and Dust. Blue Sky is just a shade below Diesel IMO.

15. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

I'd extend it to Earth And Sun And Moon. "Redneck Wonderland" would have been a masterpiece, if not for the horrible mastering.

16. moops

moops Senior Member

10 to 1 for me ...... blows the mind from start to finish.

Chemically altered and SpudOz like this.
  17. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

10-1 was their peak in my opinion
    Red Sails was also a great album
    They mellowed their sound after 10-1 became a bit more commercial in my opinion

18. ericthegardener

ericthegardener Forum Resident

I think 10, 9, 8, is their peak as far as complete albums go, but plenty of great songs afterwards, even on Breathe. My favorite of the latter-day records is Redneck Wonderland. I like the Oils best when they are rocking the hardest.

I also saw them earlier this year and it was incredible. I've rarely seen any band rock so hard, let alone guys in their 60s. And from the videos I've seen of the Australian portion of their current tour, they've even kicked into a higher gear. I guess playing to 16,000 folks a night instead of 1000 makes it a bit easier to get it up.

19. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Midnight Oil had one of the all time great runs from Place Without a Postcard through Earth and Sun and Moon. I'd put that run of albums up against just about anyone (other than the Beatles, Stones, Who, Zeppelin, Floyd, Neil, Dylan, and Bowie). There was a big drop off after that, but they came back in a big way with their finale, Capricornia, a phenomenal album that would have fit right in with that incredible run. In the end, they were an unbelievably great band with an amazing run of stellar albums and an incendiary live act unlike any other.

I saw them live a few times, including on their current tour, and their intensity and energy is unlike anything else I've ever seen.

Really hope they stay together, put out new music, and continue touring.

20. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Yep. That was my first thought. Not a bad track on it. After that, their albums become more and more patchy to me. I lost interest in the Oils by the Blue Sky Mining.

21. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I reckon Head Injuries is all killer - no filler!
    I’d suggest a major factor in the stylistic change on Breathe was the lack of writing contributions from Rob Hirst.
    He was back in town by Redneck Wonderland and the contrast is there for all to see/hear.

22. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Amazing run from 10,9,8 through BSM, but their petrol turned to fumes pretty quickly after that.

23. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I would say yes, but I look at Blue Sky Mining the same way a look at Metallica's Black Album. It flew off the shelves, but the slickness probably alienated some of the old fans.

In terms of popularity, Diesel And Dust and Blue Sky Mining were definitely the peak.

JulesRules, Purple, zphage and 3 others like this.
  24. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Interesting. Why was Rob M.I.A.?

25. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

He reportedly didn’t get along with the producer (Malcolm Burn) and most of his songs were rejected. He recorded some of them with The Ghostwriters. He also barely did any vocal parts on Breathe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.