Did Paul, Ringo, Yoko & Olivia REALLY sign off on Let it Be...Naked?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andersoncouncil, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

Thanks for digging up and sharing this report. This quote refers to the camera sync/Nagra tapes - not studio tapes - doesn't it?

seacliffe301 likes this.
  2. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Off topic I know:
    I like the idea of Let It Be- Naked. As an album, it actually sits quite nicely between the White Album and Abbey Road.
    My quibble is I Me Mine: while it still has the idea of the longer edit, the edit is wrong in my opinion. On Let It Be, it cuts back to “all through the day/I Me Mine” and then repeats the middle 8, then the last verse.
    The Naked version lets the last line “all through your life/I Me Mine” happen in the middle of the song, which should be the closing statement of the lyric. Bugs me!
    Makes me realize Spector was at least paying attention to the lyric so he edited it that way.

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Even cheaper on Amazon, if you don't mind used.

Amazon.co.uk: Buying Choices: Let It Be... Naked

Shak Cohen and ToneLa like this.
  4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Love that, too. Though there's too much digital noise reduction.

5. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident Thread Starter

Possibly may show up in a Let It Be 50th Anniversary box? Just pure speculation of course, but I could see that box going:
    CD 1: Original Album remastered (or new Giles mix)
    CD 2: LIB Naked
    CD's 3 & 4: session outtakes/demos/jams...
    DVD/Blu Ray: Let It Be movie

6. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Indeed true. My comments were just tongue and cheek. I love the Beatles.

I have no problem with any reissues or special projects like LIBN.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  7. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

What part of that film would she want to go unseen, her dancing?

aphexj likes this.
  8. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I’m still waiting for that “Fly On The Wall Deluxe”.

9. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I noticed the same thing. The Naked version simply repeats the entire second verse. Also, the intonation of "all through the day" is different from "all through your life," so the hybrid middle verse "feels" like a different verse than the final verse. I think that when Anthology 3 came out, I made my own extended edit on cassette, following the Spector template.

I'm not a fan of the "wall of sound" overdubs, but I have to say Spector generally chose good takes for the album.

10. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Let's face it, once they all saw dollar signs I'm sure they had no issue signing off on it.

11. I've actually never watched the film :hide: so I shouldn't comment. I was just picking one hypothetical scenario of how there may have been a negotiation.

12. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

:rolleyes:
    If "The Love Of Money" was the ONLY impetus for any product since their catalog became theirs, we'd see a LOT of crap!
    Most Beatles product released in the last 25 years has been pretty classy in presentation and most fans are happy.

The "cash grab" sensibility a lot of you have here is really boring and overused, and usually incorrect.

13. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Agreed. I oversimplified somewhat in my dramatization of Paul and Yoko's conversation. The Beatles have been pretty conservative, compared to many other major groups, when it comes to milking the catalog. There are lesser band out there whose compilations outnumber their core albums. When Apple gained some degree of control, most of the comps went out of print. If the Beatles valued money above all else, they could have cashed in in a hundred different ways by now.

14. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Another "nefarious, scheming Paul" thread...

Next up, his scheming to have Please Please Me and Strawberry Fields excluded from '1' ...

Jack Lord likes this.
  15. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

Do you have a link that supports this, or is this just a guess?

16. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I remember someone I know seeing that cover and saying "I'll never look at John Lennon the same way again". I think she was grossed out by it.

17. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I think a lot of us (certainly me) were grossed out by seeing them on that cover. :faint:

andrewskyDE and Grand_Ennui like this.
  18. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

All of those were before Apple exerted control in the 80s, Hamburg was never officially released by the group.

19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Colocally likes this.
  20. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

"I see you've got the Times there..." - Ringo Starr

andrewskyDE, BeatlesBop and dewey02 like this.
  21. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I'm pretty certain the original master nagra reels were found after "fly-on the wall", which to me was pretty much lo-fi clips and teasers, source unknown, though pretty crisp A-B complete sessions were out there.

While not "studio" quality, they are likely the first generation reels-hopefully already digitally converted and with some hope being de-mixed and remastered- at least a few dozen full takes of rehearsals, oldies, demos and early untracked takes. Removing beeps, farts and drifting wah wahs...

andrewskyDE and Mr. Explorer like this.
  22. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

^ The ultimate turd-polishing exercise

23. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

If Giles can use his de-mixing process to remove all those incessant George wah wahs and leslied noodling that ruins so many of the rehearsals, I will take back all those things I've said about how he's performed on several of his previous re-mix and de-mix efforts! :sigh:

Mike Visco likes this.
  24. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I know, I know.

I was just joking about post Beatles releases in general. Not that I haven't purchased my share.

25. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

The later the month went on-the more polished some of those turds were starting to sound. A lot of stuff at Apple wasn't tracked or filmed. We're not talking "studio" quality...but Kinfauns or Decca level quality might not be too bad. I can think of at least 30 songs that cleaned up would be cool to hear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.