Did Paul, Ringo, Yoko & Olivia REALLY sign off on Let it Be...Naked?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andersoncouncil, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Commonwealth. Yes?

2. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I like both versions... IMO the problem with LIB is all the performances sound like rehearsal takes, even on Pauls version...
    The songs outside the mediocre FYB are all very good/great IMO... It's a fairly great album, but could of been as good or better than Abbey road IMO.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  3. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

Can anyone provide an actual link supporting the idea that a release of the Let It Be movie on DVD was nixed by Ringo, Paul and the estates of George and John?

4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

No.
    It only takes 1 out of the 4 to nix it, and that is what happened the last time around. I do not think all 4 ever nixed it at the same time.

Lewisboogie and aphexj like this.
  5. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Paul-centric? Are you kidding? ;)We get a sharply truncated and vandalised "Get Back" and we get the beautifully warm "Don't Let Me Down". John wins. Should have kept Dig It and Maggie Mae to provide more light hearted relief though.

6. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

If you are reading too much into it then you are in good company on these Beatles threads...

7. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

To get Ono's go-ahead, McCartney had to agree to do another round of media interviews with the headline "Yoko didn't break up The Beatles". No evidence to back this up, except that it's happened so many times and feels so artificial. I'm sure it will occur again.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  8. slane

slane Forum Resident

The coda came from a take recorded the next day.

9. . There are some things I never needed to see in my life and one of them was John’s dick.

10. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The rerelease is a Frankenstein mess. For all the flaws of the entire Let It Be period, I’ll take the 1970 album

Digital-G likes this.
  11. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I never knew that-just thought it was a specific improve of one take.

12. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

While not my favorite Beatle LP-to me it is the most fascinating, so I enjoy just about any product so far, including the 09 CD (which I grabbed BEFORE Revolver), Naked, Get Back denoised and declicked, Let it Be VHS, Sweet Apple Tracks, 30 Days and A-B...all except Fly on the wall, knowing of all the complete Nagra takes out there and they release that.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  13. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

How long ago did this happen? Also, was it revealed which party was opposed?

14. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Bring back Get Back, Bring back Get Back, Bring back Get Back,

nytechy likes this.
  15. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

How would have John promoted the album ? Ouija board ?

16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

A DVD re-release of Let It Be (the film), with an unknown amount of bonus footage, was all prepared around the time that Let It Be Naked (the album) came out in 2003. The two things were supposed to come out together. That made good marketing sense. Of course, the DVD got the thumbs down, which has been attributed to one of the four.
    Here is a quote from 2008:
    Journalist Bill DeYoung: What about the ‘Let it Be’ DVD? Years ago, Neil [Aspinall] was saying it was being readied.
    Yoko Ono: (laughing) You know, life is a long time. And I hope you have a very long one, Bill.

Since then, after Jeff Jones came on board as the head of Apple, the director Michael Lindsay-Hogg did further work on putting a DVD package together, circa 2011. Here is what Lindsay-Hogg said at that time:
    "We have been been working on it pretty much every year for the last couple of years. And the plan is, at the moment, to have it come out, I think, in 2013," Lindsay-Hogg said. He says that a second disc will be filled with the film's outtakes. "When we first put 'Let It Be' out, I had to cut out a lot of stuff that I really like and wanted to stay in there. The stuff in the new DVD has a lot of the stuff that had to be cut out. So for me, it's like the egg is now complete."

This though has been sitting on the shelf ever since.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Lewisboogie, Paulwalrus and DennisF like this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Touche! :laugh:

Yes, only Ringo could've really done much to promote it as a former Beatle, but IIRC, it still seemed like Paul dominated the discussion.

News articles tended to focus on him as the one behind the release. If Olivia or Yoko had felt "LIBN" was a way to do justice to GH's and JL's music, they would've been more prominent in the promotion, methinks...

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

And it's not like they put out press releases. "'Let It Be' DVD Planned But Scrapped Because Olivia Harrison Said No!" :laugh:

19. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Anyone know if this album will get re-released on vinyl any time soon-ish?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  20. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Ron Furmanek did the first restore of the film in 1992, and then it was shelved.

Lewisboogie and DennisF like this.
  21. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

I think you may give her integrity more credit than it deserves. It's a business. It's a product. It makes her money. Not only did she approve it, but she also copied the idea and went and had a "naked" ("Stripped down") version of Double Fantasy made.

22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

We certainly will know more about that when the anniversary/super deluxe edition of Let It Be is coming around 2020.

Michael Rose likes this.
  23. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Good point. perhaps 2nd disc

andrewskyDE likes this.
  24. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Correct, their deal is all it takes is 1 to nix a project. It has never been majority rule for all i’ve Heard and read

25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I also thought the coda was recorded at the same day but was part of another take.
    The instruments, mixing position and the performers' motivation can differ a lot even a day after at the same studio, that's why I think it's kinda fascinating.^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.