Did Pete Best ever meet the Beatles again after 1962?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by guppy270, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Was Pete Best ever in the same room again as any of the other Beatles after he got the sack in '62? I know he received proceeds from the "Anthology" CD series, but he wasn't even interviewed for the videos. Has he ever seen any of them again?

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Supposedly never. They may have possibly passed each other at a couple of gigs early on [you'll need to check Lewisohn's book to see if The Beatles and The Lee Curtis All-Stars with Pete Best were on the same bill at any venue in 1962 or so], but they never had any contact whatsoever. No phone calls, no letters, nada. But Neil Aspinall had some contact with him, at least through Pete's mom (Mona Best) since Neil and Mona had an affair that resulted in Pete's half-bother (Roeg is it?). Arnie

3. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Pete Best said they had to pass each other backstage in Liverpool later that year, not a word was said, and it was the last time he had seen them.

4. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Cold; w/a capitol K!

5. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

What Arnold says is 100% correct.

6. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

They knew they'd screwed Pete and frankly they were cowards about it.

Evan

7. peter

peter Senior Member

Was he that bad a drummer?

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yup. This is the kind of thing that managers and label folk push and that managers and label folk make possible because they shield the artists from the heavy lifting.

9. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

No,Apparently he'd had a bad temper..George Martin saw that immediately,and called for a different drummer..the others saw this temper first-hand,and saw that it was going to be a problem for them when they did become famous..Ringo's temper,on the other hand was more in check that Pete's,sooo..you can guess what happened after that..sorry,Pete! (Paul even said "He was Mean,Moody,and MAGNIFICENT!!")

10. BobbyS

BobbyS Forum Resident In Memoriam

There's a lot of debate about this, but in my opinion yes. His time was bad and he basically played one beat. Listen to his version of Love Me Do from Anthology 1 and see what you think.

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I met a woman who was an original Cavern Club fan and she said Pete's drumming went down just fine on stage.

I bet it had more to do with personality than anything.

Evan

Dyland likes this.
  12. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

If this is really true, then Def Leppard (Willis) and Metallica (Mustaine) unwittingly followed their lead.

13. I was watching the Anthology DVDs again recently and was really disappointed by George's comment "Ringo was always a member of the band, he just didn't enter the film until that particular scene". It's a sad story.

14. mikee

mikee Forum Resident

With a Capitol Records K!
    So much so that it disturbs and leaves me with a bad feeling deep down. I don't know what all went on nearly 50 years ago with those guys, but I have to believe it was relatively petty, young guy, stuff. I feel that somewhere along the line the individual Beatles should have buried the hatchet, if nothing else. It can't be easy to have gone through this, (and to still be carrying that around now) for Pete. How much trouble would it be for Paul or Ringo to contact him and say a few nice words? They might look to Bruce Springsteen and the way that he treats his sacked first drummer, Vini Lopez. Springsteen shows a lot class and character, in that regard.

15. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

At least Pete got royalties from the Anthology selections that he contributed to. As a drummer, particularly on the Decca sessions, he doesn't seem to incorporate much variety into the back beat. Just the same fills over and over again. At times, the drums almost sound marching band-ish which probably wouldn't matter to a club full of drunken Germans. However, when the time came to record a 'proper' record, The Beatles probably felt embarrassed by Pete's drumming skills and felt they could do better.

16. mr_mjb1960

I guess to them Old wounds never healed properly! How sad and petty,indeed...:shake:

17. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Pete may be the Best, but Ringo is the Starr!!

ZING!!!!

18. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Or to coin a Lennonism, "Wounds heal all time."

hey 3000 POSTS!

19. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Live and studio are different animals. To my ears he wasn't a very good drummer and he certainly didn't have a distinctive sound like Ringo.

I think they did handle it all in a rather cowardly fashion, but he got some money with the Anthology project... hopefully that healed some wounds (if time hadn't already).

20. Distortions

Distortions Forum Resident

The sacking of a fellow musician from a band is a sad yet common tale.

The wonder of it is that, despite The Beatles' unprecedented success, Pete has developed such a great attitude about what happened to him. Many lesser men would've become angry or bitter for the rest of their lives. His outlook on life is just as special as any of the other four Beatles.

I bet 200 years from now people will still mention the mystery of Pete Best's departure from the Beatles.

21. mr_mjb1960

Yet,as the "Anthology" dvd set clearly shows,Ringo's debut was met with so much heckling off-stage-Witness the screams of "WE WANT PETE!" from the crowd at the end! Wow-it probably was a Trial-By-Fire for Ringo that night!:shake:

22. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

He a pretty significant sum of money out of the Anthology CD's.

He got his book deal. Paid gigs travelling around with the Pete Best Group (or whatever they're called) when otherwise he'd be lucky to be playing for beer n' kippers in a pub somewhere. Also don't forget those sales of the CD of Best Of The Beatles that SH Forum members surely buy.

All owing to his association with The Beatles 50 years ago.

Out of the gazillion people who've ever been kicked out of rock bands (who went on to be famous or not) he seems to have made out pretty well in the end. It's got to be better than living on his 100 pound 'royal pension' or whatever they call it over there.

I've heard that's he's actually a millionaire now, which could be, though I'd need more proof before I totally believe it.

23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

As least, with the Anthology royalties, the book and the video, he was able to experience at least a bit of the tax liability his former mates were under. :cheers:

Fullbug likes this.
  24. waynenet

waynenet New Member

I just think it would be cool, if, lets say for a Rolling Stone magazine article, Ringo and Pete just sit down together and chew the fat over a lemonade.

25. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

:yikes: Do I feel a slight prejudiice here? Hm, oh sorry, the drums are calling, I have to go "marschieren"

:winkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.