Did Rhino filter EC's "Imperial Bedroom"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matt, Feb 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

Anyone have the two disc Rhino reissue and the Ryko CD? I just got the Ryko CD, not the gold CD but the aluminum one.

There's a whole lot of hiss on the Ryko CD you don't hear on the Rhino CD. I think it may be the same tape, just different mastering. On the Rhino CD, not only does the hiss decrease, so does a little bit of the top end information. Hmm..I'm listening some more, and I think the Ryko CD may have been boosted. The cymbals sizzle a bit too much on the Ryko, i.e. a bit more than it would sound in real life.

The best place to hear this is at the beginning of "The Long Honeymoon." Not a lot of overdubs, pretty spare with the drums, accordian, bass...easy to hear what's going on up there.

Man, with some of the complaining that's gone on about Rhino jacking up the top end, isn't it refreshing that in a A/B comparison, they're not the guilty party?:)

2. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

It's intrinsically likelier that Rhino filtered than that Ryko boosted. I've had nearly every issue of Imperial Bedroom, and its high end is quite hot. Which is great!

The Ryko issues, it can't be said often enough, were terrific. For another source try the half speed mastered Columbia LP.

3. andrewsandoval

andrewsandoval Senior Member

The Rhino CD is not filtered in any way. We used the absolute first generation master tape. It is a straight dub from the non-Dolby 1/2" analog through analog eq onto a digital master. We also spent a good day trying to figure out how the Ryko disc ended up sounding like it did. It has a top end extension that is simply not on the original tape (yes I am positive we had the original tape). While I enjoyed the Ryko CD a lot, we decided to keep it closer to the original UK vinyl. My only theory is that they ran it through a BBE or some other tomfoolery. I think both are worth having a listen to.

Jack_Straw, dee and Radio like this.
  4. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Welcome, Andrew!

Thanks for the insight. I love Imperial Bedroom and I'm glad to know that you put so much time and care into making it sound right.

Chris

5. Steven

Steven Senior Member

The Ryko cd definitely has a strange sound when compared to the mid 80's IMP cd. First of all, the Ryko is brighter and it sounds more compressed to me (although the waveform doesn't look compressed at all), this is likely the source of the additional hiss. Let me say, this is a very tame brightening and compression, it's not harsh or squashed, just more BAC than the IMP. Also, the Ryko has some kind of processed sound to it, I don't know how to describe it, but it ain't on the old IMP.

6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

:thumbsup: I'm looking forward to buying the Rhino "Imperial Bedroom" and I'm happy to hear info from the inside. Thanks!

I always thought that the Ryko "Imperial Bedroom" as well as "King of America" were too bright too.

So far I own the Rhino "Spike" and "Mighty Like a Rose" and I'm very happy with them.

BTW, pardon my ignorance. Can someone tell me what a "BBE" is and what it does? :confused:

Dan C

7. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

Well shut my mouth!

8. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

Andrew, I was so surprised & delighted to hear from you about this, I forgot to ask: are all the Rhino Costello CDs from original masters without filtering? I have been giving them a pass since I have the Rykos, but it sounds like I've been missing out.

C'mon, make a sale!

9. GabeG

GabeG New Member

A couple of things about the Ryko Imperial Bedroom discs:

1) They were made from 2nd generation dubs (all the EC discs were).
    2) The silver and gold editions are the exact same masterings (unlike the Bowie gold discs).

- Gabe

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Welcome Andrew! Around my house we call you the Monkee Man! Well, not really but you get the idea...

11. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

I haven't heard the Rhino Imperial Bedroom, but I've notice a similar relationship comparing the Ryko and Rhino Blood and Chocolate. What gives there?

the other Wes

12. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Imperial Bedroom

Oh man I love that song "Beyond Belief"! That's my favorite Costello song of all time! I will check that one out for sure!

Say Andrew: Are your solo albums still in print?
    Peace
    Norm

PS: I STILL think the Clash tribute at the Grammys f****ng rocked! :cool:

13. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Wow! This is great to hear. I agree with Dan C that the Ryko "Imperial Bedroom" and "King of America" always sounded grotesquely bright. After buying a NM copy of the King of America LP, I realized that it wasn't my imagination.

Andrew, let me tell you that I am VERY pleased with the new Elvis reissues. Thank you so much for doing it right!

14. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

Re: Imperial Bedroom

I heard it on the radio this very morning. :)

15. teaser5

Radio Radio

Then you got some killer radio stations up there Peter cause you would never hear that on the radio here.

Thanks!
    Peace
    Norm

16. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Heck, I can't think of one commercial station here in Detroit that plays anything by Elvis Costello! :(

17. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Wonderful to hear directly from the source! I have a question. One of the reviewers at Amazon, a guy named Kevin J. O'Conner notes the following error in the reissue. Has anyone else heard this and, Mr. Sandoval, if it's really there--and I'm not saying it is, I'm just asking--are there plans to correct it?

Here's the relevant paragraph from the review:

=========================
    Reviewer: Kevin J. O'Conner (see more about me) from Seattle, WA, USA

There is one flaw in the Rhino release that I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet: The verybeginning of "Human hands" is ever-so-slightly cut off (if you've got either of the previous CDreissues, listen and compare), sort of like when you skip forward to another track and the CD player doesn't unmute quickly enough when that track begins to play. I hope Rhino will go to the trouble to fix this error, which flaws an otherwise outstanding release.
    ============================

L.

18. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

All right! Thanks, Mr. Sandoval, you guys did GREAT!

Again, you just have to listen to the voice and the cymbals (but you should probably focus more on the voice; just look at the CCR albums). Had they sounded too dull on the Rhino set, I would've guessed some sort of filtering, but that's not the case.

Many thanks!

19. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Here in NY, WFUV (90.7) and WFUV.org (Streaming audio) have EC in constant rotation! THere are also interviews inthe archives on the website

20. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Well, I did say I couldn't think of a commercial station here that played EC. In Detroit there's a public station (WDET) similar to 'FUV that plays Costello from time to time.

21. teaser5

WFUV

Hey! Thanks for the link! I have already heard Chris Whitley, Bonnie Raitt and the new Jayhawks single in just the first few minutes. This station rocks!!

Peace
    Norm

PS: Wow..that was some Clash tribute on the Grammys eh?

22. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Re: WFUV

I haven't heard the new Jayhawks song! How is it???

There's been no Elvis Costello on Wyoming radio in ages, except for perhaps the NPR station.
    Down in Denver KBCO still has ED in regular rotation.
    Dan C

23. teaser5

Jayhawks

Nice song...kind of back to basics. More "Hollywood Town Hall" than "Smile" or "Sound of Lies" (both excellent records IMO)
    Nice interview in the new No Depression magazine with Gary Louris.

Enjoy
    Norm

24. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Norm - Great! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Tell your friends. THe new Jayhawks sounds really good. You just missed the new Lucinda Williams song by about 10 minutes.

The Clash tribute was amazing. I'm not only surprised that Elvis played, not only surprised at the lineup of EC, Bruce, Dave, Little Steven, what surprised me the most was that it was a tribute to Joe Strummer!

The Coldplay segment was excellent as well. I don't usually pay any attention to the awards show, but I heard that EC was playing so I wound up watching the whole show.

25. teaser5

Back on your heads

Wow I really love Lucinda too! I hear her next release comes out in vinyl first, then CD. Good for her.

Hey Donald: I know that joke where you pulled your signature line from.
    When I heard it, it was cigarette break but still that's a riot :laugh:

Cheers!
    Norm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.