Did Sinatra request a bootleg recording of his May 7, 1970 concert with Basie?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wave, Oct 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wave

wave Forum Resident Thread Starter

First off, I've never heard this concert, but judging by its killer setlist from an online Sinatra concert archive, it had to have been pretty good. And it was with Basie and before the retirement.

I've heard this story more than once (I hate to say but I think even the Kitty Kelley book alluded to it), but Sinatra was said to have been so satisfied with his performance that he solicited bootleggers for a copy of the show. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, did he ever find a copy?

The setlist:

I’ve Got The World On A String
    I Get A Kick Out Of You
    At Long Last Love
    Don't Worry ‘Bout Me
    Fly Me To The Moon
    Street Of Dreams
    Pennies From Heaven
    My Kind Of Town
    Autumn Leaves
    Yesterday
    This Is All I Ask
    I Would Be In Love Anyway
    Try A Little Tenderness
    Lady Day
    Ol' Man River
    Moonlight In Vermont
    Angel Eyes
    You Make Me Feel So Young
    I’ve Got You Under My Skin
    Please Be Kind
    The Lady Is A Tramp
    On The Road To Mandalay
    My Way

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

May '70—not to be confused with the Royal Festival Hall "Night of Nights" concerts six months later (introduced by Princess Grace, televised by the BBC, and released commercially on VHS and DVD).

I've never heard the Basie concerts (two consecutive nights) either, and my information is that they were ever available only as audience recordings on single bootleg CDs. According to the Where or When database:
    (It wasn't his last performance. He returned in November of the same year, and then a decade later. See also Frank Sinatra - the British Connections.)

3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I've heard the 5/7 performance from a very poor audience tape source. Nonetheless, Mr. S shines through with a brilliant performance.

(Understood if this must be removed by the moderators). ;)

4. wave

Thanks, Bob. And I envy you, Paul.

BTW I didn't realize that Where Or When database was that specific and insightful. Not to sound like a crummy commercial but I think I need to pick up a copy.

5. wave

Um, for some reason the picture on the cover kind of creeps me out...:sigh:

Attached Files:

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Where or When has two independent parts: the "Discography" and the "Chronology." The former is a database of records and songs (pictured above). The latter is essentially a collection of MS Word documents, foremost of which is a date-ordered description of Sinatra's activities (including all concert performances and known set lists) throughout his lifetime. The quote I provided came from the Chronology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.