Did Steve Really Master This?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Desjardin, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member Thread Starter

I saw a Suddenly 70's CD on Razor and Tie today at Wal Mart. It was a single disc, with a 2001 copyright. The discography on this site says he mastered this title, but I was nervous about the 2001 date. Is this a newer version? Does anyone know if the mastering is Steve's, or did they put out a new version with new mastering? Help - I won't buy it if it's not
    Steve's mastering, since I already have most of the songs.

2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I asked about this just 10 days ago but got no response.

I already had ordered a used copy of "Suddenly 70's" before I realized there were two versions, and I ended up getting the single disc issued in 2001.

The sound? My guess is that they took what Steve did for them earlier and condensed it to fit a single cd. (In other words, I'm impressed by the sound quality on this disc.)

I have noticed other Razor & Tie collections that were initially offered as 2-disc sets that are now available in edited form on single discs. The single disc versions are easily found in retail outlets.

3. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

I have no idea but count me in for wanting to find the answer. Sounds like a necessary purchase.

4. Chris Desjardin

I really wanted it for a Hoffmanized version of The Raspberries' Go All The Way, but I didn't want to buy it until I knew for sure he did it. I hope someone will come in with a definitive answer quickly. I might buy it and just not open it until I hear more about it. Lots of good tunes and guilty pleasures on the disc.

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Not definitive, but I can't imagine R&T remastering something that Steve did, copyright or no copyright. A small company, and remastering is not an inexpensive option.

ED:cool:

6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Something that Steve did is still in print!?!?

I have the 2 disc set and it sounds like Steve. I guess this is just a single disc version.

7. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

8. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I will say this: The single disc "Suddenly 70's" contains the best sounding "Go All The Way" I've heard.

9. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Please, Steve! Raspberries fans want to know.

Chris

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

What's the question exactly?

11. Ed Bishop

Did you master SUDDENLY '70s(duh!), and would this new version still be yours? I said yeah, but haven't seen this edition as others have, so can't swear to it.

12. Steve Hoffman

But of course! :thumbsup:

13. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Come for the music info, stay for the frog.

14. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

15. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

What's up with this? The mastering is credited to: Elliot Federman.
    Check it out....http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?userid=0FNK081F19&ean=793018903622

17. Chris Desjardin

I just opened it and it DOES say mastered by Elliot Federman at SAJE sound. Could they have done a stupid thing and remastered Steve's work (gasp!).

18. Steve Hoffman

Really? I'm surprised.

Oh well. They had a good base to start with.....

19. Ed Bishop

B&N's site is pretty screwy. They use All Music Guide info, so I punched in Arthur Lyman to see what they had. Well, all of them, but you can click on any name in the credits, so I hit Steve's to see what would happen. 172 entries, but while a few dozen were his, most were either unrelated or titles he had done, but not his remasterings(most just the usual releases). So the engine doesn't work that well. Did seem to have a Gold LONELY AND BLUE, for anyone who cares, and a few Sinatras left.

20. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

:thumbsup: A Chorus Line

dance card:

:frog: dance 10 , looks 10

:nauga: dance 0 , looks -3

21. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Ferric Man, you got that backwards, 'ol buddy, 'ol pal!

It's:

:frog: dance 0 , looks -3

:nauga: wallflower dance 10 , looks 10

Steak? Nauga steak?

:bigeek: You're kidding, right?

Right?

Imagine the poor mastering engineer that has to "redo" a Steve mastering job. Poor guy - he'd BETTER be deaf or use ultra crappy speakers as there'd be no way to improve on Steve's work....!!!

:cool:

22. Michael

Then B&N is mistaken? Is it possible you can find the corrected info, since B&N is so screwy? Appreciate it.:) :thumbsup:

23. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

Suddenly 70's

This is what the razpr anmd tie 2 cd version looks like.
    Just got it today. it's great!

Best,
    Aaron

24. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I'm seeing both the single disc & the two disc set available on various sites. Having read all of the posts I am still uncertain. Three questions: Did Mr Hoffman master the two disc set? I think he has confirmed that the answer to that one ids "yes".

Is the single CD taken from the Hoffman masters? Or is the single set a remaster?

Did Steve have anything to do with the similarly packaged Suddenly 60's set?

I'm a big Raspberries fan & need to know which to purchase.

(Saw Eric Carmen play with Ringo at the House of Blues about two yeaars ago. Thrilling!)

-BZync

25. Michael

And the saga continues...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.