Did the Stones really ever top Paint It Black ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Paint It Black is my personal favorite Rolling Stones song!

2. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Yes, I would say that the more R&B-sounding the Stones were, the less likely my friend was to like them. I think I would rank "Paint It Black" a little higher than you, though.

3. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Love Paint It Black. Love lotsa others.

My sister told me an interesting story about hearing Paint It Black on the radio for the first time in 1966. She and our cousin were sitting in his Ford Ranchero before school jabbering away about this and that and when the song came on it stopped their chatting dead -- it sounded so completely different from what had been playing they had to listen and just like that it was their new favorite song.

old school likes this.
  4. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

They did MUCH better, the whole Aftermath album for starters, full of classic stones:

Mothers Little Helper
    Stupid Girl
    Under My Thumb
    Flight 505

All put Paint It Black to shame.

5. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Everyone is allowed to have an opinion, so I acknowledge yours but disagree with you. :D

Chuckee and old school like this.
  6. mds

mds Forum Resident

My point exactly, they were innocent and the world around them was innocent if that was considered risky lyrics. They were just a bunch of bad boys then testing the boundaries far from "Sister Morphine". So bad that when they performed on the Ed Sullivan show they changed their lyrics.

7. Sparky

Sparky Forum Resident

Same with Satanic Majesties, lots of fans amongst non Stones people.

8. Dumb topic IMHO. Alternate title: "Would you validate my opinion regarding the best Stones song?"

9. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

That's what I was going to say. It's a great song and the start of something new for the Stones but there was so much more afterwards.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  10. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Alternate alternate title: "I was sitting on a crapper and had a thought so I figured I would share it with the world".

11. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I like Paint it Black, but it's not really in line with their signature sound. I prefer their more rock-oriented stuff, like Jumpin' Jack Flash, the LPs Beggars Bamquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile, Some Girls. Even Tattoo You is great, and that's 15 years later (though admittedly made up of unfinished 70s tracks).

Paint it Black always struck me as the Stones playing catch-up to the Beatles. Norwegian Wood had a sitar, then the Stones used it. To great effect, but still...

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, many times during the 60's.

13. Michael

I don't see it...still a great song! heavier than the Beatles...

14. Michael

are equal to, but the others no way...IMO.

15. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

No doubt a great song. And certainly heavier than anything The Beatles did with a sitar.

Michael likes this.
  16. Michael

yup...

17. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

miss you (extended mix) is the best thing they ever did.

18. John54

John54 Senior Member

I'm much more in agreement with the OP than in disagreement. Paint It Black is in my Stones top 10, although it's down in the bottom half. Nine of the ten are from the 1965-67 period, and the other is Time Waits for No One. The highly-touted early-'70s tracks like Gimme Shelter don't do much for me.

19. @sullyjosh

@sullyjosh Member

I enjoy Paint it Black, but I wouldn't even include it in a top-30 Stones song list.

20. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

That was their best song up to that moment in time, including "Satisfaction" and what all else they did prior to 1966. However, the sorts of things they did afterward in the Beggars Banquet through Exile On Main Street period was just insane. I can name two songs -- "Gimme Shelter" and "Moonlight Mile" -- which easily top "Paint It, Black" and are among the greatest songs of all time, not just among the best the Stones recorded.

That said, "Paint It, Black" -- after nearly 50 years -- has still got IT. Whatever IT is, IT....is DAMN GOOD! :righton:

21. A lot of their early work would just dig in to me the first time I'd hear it, especially Black.
    Much to do with with Vietnam, being a year or so shy of "Draftable", brothers not coming home,
    some kinda coming home. Also late teen angst for lost loves.
    But aside from my hook it was a great material on its own, I mean Bourdon did a cover.

22. 9la

9la Forum Resident

Paint It Black was "one of the greatest compositions of the century" according to no less than Leonard Bernstein, composer and conductor of the New York Philharmonic.

The solid guitar work of "Jumpin' Jack Flash" still grabs me after decades. (It was the template for loads of later Stones records, including "She's So Cold" and "Don't Stop".) I always wondered who plays the jangly guitar riff during the break in the middle, it's kind of processed to sound trebly. That sound almost had to be coming from Brian.

23. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth Thread Starter

An even more important question, did Clapton ever top White Room ?

24. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth Thread Starter

To shame ? no way.

25. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Not saying Paint It Black's a bad song, but I'd pick all of those long before I'd choose Paint It Black.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.