Did you ever buy a re-recorded album? Did you like it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Strat-Mangler, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I forgot about this one. I listened to it when it came out and remember liking it.

2. kronning

kronning Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out along with The Who Sell Out redo.

3. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

Gordon Lightfoot's mid-70s hits album, Gord's Gold, features a number of re-recordings that I actually prefer to his own original recordings of those same tracks. That may be the only example I can think of in which that's the case.

As an aside, Springsteen's Darkness on the Edge of Town box set, The Promise, included a home video component featuring Bruce and The E Street Band performing Darkness on the Edge of Town in its entirety in an empty auditorium. While I don't prefer that version to the studio album, it's a worthwhile watch/listen for Springsteen junkies.

snowman872, carlwm and Bern like this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

There isn't. Check out post #11. :)

5. Strat-Mangler

One could jokingly refer to AC/DC as rerecording themselves to sound like another album throughout their career. :D

6. Strat-Mangler

I had never heard of that. Pretty cool! :)

action pact likes this.
  7. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I quite like Brian Wilson's solo studio version of Smile. Also, don't know if this counts, but Gene Clark recorded the vocals on the Gosdin Brothers album and remixed the backing tracks and removed one song and called in Early LA Sessions; Don't care for that one.

MitchLT and EVOLVIST like this.
  8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

W.A.S.P - Reidolized - The Crimson Idol

The new version really improves an already brilliant album.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PyroMessiah and Curveboy like this.
  9. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I have that 1972 re-do, and I agree. It's an interesting variation, but not an improvement at all. The remix is kind of wonky too.

From the liner notes:

Early in 1967, CBS released the original version of this album under the title "Gene Clark with the Gosdin Brothers." Perhaps it was ahead of its time. Gene Clark and his producer and friend Jim Dickson weren't happy with it either. When they learned that CBS planned to re-release the album (feeling that perhaps now its time had come), they decided that all of the original eight-track recordings should be re-mixed and at least some vocals re-recorded.

After a week in CBS L.A. studios, where it all began almost six years before, they emerged with an enormously improved, almost totally different album. Nearly all of the vocals were re-recorded, tracks were brightened, parts buried in the original mix were brought up (in some cases completely changing the sound of the cuts), and in re-sequencing the order of the sides they even removed one song, Elevator Operator, because with five years' perspective they felt strongly that the song did not measure up the others.'

- David Swaney

10. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Like this? I enjoyed it more than I expected

aroney likes this.
  11. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

I got Cracker "Greatest Hits Redux"

It's okay.

melstapler likes this.
  12. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

I've got two that I love:

Astral Weeks Live by Van Morrison, and the Great Balls of Fire film soundtrack by Jerry Lee Lewis. Great Balls of Fire, from 1989, is an horrendously awful film, but the re-recordings of the old Sun stuff by The Killer are excellent.

13. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

A couple years back I picked up the Ram cover album mentioned by the OP. A very good tribute, lovingly done.

I always enjoy this a cappella DSotM cover album:

[​IMG]

14. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I prefer the original recording of 'All I Need is a Miracle' by a country mile.

15. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

The wife loves Natalie Merchant's re-recorded version of Tigerlily. I do not feel the same way at all. The original is one of my all time favourite albums.

Ricardo Perfecto and snowman872 like this.
  16. Humanoid_Z

Humanoid_Z Well-Known Member

Fly From Here - Round Trip and The Snow Goose, both of them cannot beat the original

17. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Replacing chintsy electric drums with real ones, better keyboard sounds (and organ replacing that wimpy synth lead during the solo), and a superb performance from Paul Young...I couldn't even listen to the original after that came out.

18. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Does The Velvet Underground and Nico count? I think it does. And yes I like it.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

there are a few...Nat King Cole rerecorded his hits in true stereo...and others.

melstapler likes this.
  20. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

In 1987 Roy Orbison issued a greatest hits album, which I bought because at that time
    there was little of Roy's recordings available. Much to my dismay, it was re-recordings
    and while Roy was in fine voice, it was not even close to the original Monument recordings
    from the sixties. Needless to say, I returned it to the store I got it from.......
    [​IMG]

melstapler likes this.
  21. Dante Fontana

Dante Fontana Forum Resident

Sounds of Silence?

22. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

1996. All re-recordings. Still have it, as it's an interesting piece in my collection.

[​IMG]

melstapler and Shaddam IV like this.
  23. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

A few years ago they did a re-recording of the soundtrack of the musical "Scrooge", with Robert Picardo from Star Trek Voyager doing the Albert Finney part. While it's not bad, it lacks the special magic of the original, and Picardo tries way too hard to sound just like Albert Finney.

24. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

I've seen many re-recordings of the Star Wars and Star Trek soundtracks. Why screw with those when the originals are available?

25. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

If my favourite artists like King's X or Devin Townsend re-recorded previous songs or albums i'd have no interest in listening. If Brian and Roger re-recorded some of the Queen catalogue there is no way i'd listen to anything.
    Sometimes a bonus track on a cd will be a re-recorded version of an old hit of that particular band, absolute bollocks! I don't want to hear an old song re-recorded with modern technology and sounding different.
    Same with re-mixes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.