Did you ever buy a re-recorded album? Did you like it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Strat-Mangler, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeff1951

jeff1951 Forum Resident

My favorite re-do is the LOVE re-do performed live of FOREVER CHANGES. Although a different back-up group
    (members of Baby Lemonade and others) the performances capture the spirit of original versions and Arthur Lee is in
    fine form. My version is on DVD.

2. veon

veon Forum Resident

I like Ryan Adams’ interpretation of 1989 by Taylor Swift.

Social Distortion’s greatest hits re-recorded all of the Epic era tracks- not an album, but interesting nonetheless.

3. jeff1951

jeff1951 Forum Resident

it was unfair to call attention to this amazing work and then leave out a sample of it. Here it is with my apologies.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  4. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Graham Parker's 1977 album Stick to Me was actually a re-recording. (And yes, I liked it.) Parker recalled the making of the album in an interview:

For [the original] Stick to Me, we had an 80-piece string section playing. But the whole album had to be scrapped because the master tape was leaking oxide or something. The producer, again, didn't seem to spot it. We saw this black stuff coming off the tapes but he didn't notice it. When we came to mix it, it was un-mixable. The hi-hat was leaking through all the tracks. It was a nightmare, because we had a tour coming up. In those days I had a manager, and managers are always saying, "We have to play in Sweden now," like that's the most important thing to do.

So we re-made the record in a week with Nick Lowe. It's not what I wanted at all. It's a very intense, grungy-sounding record, but I kind of like it now for that reason. I think people are trying to get that sound now, and have been since the late '80s, when we finally got rid of that Phil Collins drum sound and got real again. If a band made a record like that now, it would be hailed as a great low-fi record. But in those days, of course, the American press panned it. They thought I should sound like Boston or Journey or something. They thought I should have a slicker sound. But they had a point

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    PDK likes this.
  5. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

In I think; 2002, Mary Lee's Corvette fronted by Mary Lee Kortes recorded a live song for song cover of Dylan's Blood On The Tracks at Arlene Grocery a Lower Eastside, NYC club of the moment. Personally I heard nothing of any distinction in it. Certainly nothing newly revealed in the songs themselves and the arrangements were basically those of Dylan as on his original album. You do have to tip your hat at the balls of just the attempt though. The album was produced by Kortes' husband Eric Ambel (Del Lords...).

There was I believe some minor support of the recording at the time of its release by David Fricke ...and some implied support of a kind by Bob himself as MLC opened for him in NY sometime down the road.

I think I listened to the record a handful of times if that and don't foresee myself pulling it out again.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Really nailing it Posturex1 take on Monkberry Moon Delight is amazing ( dude looks like Flo & Eddie )..but his vocal is unbelievable.

7. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

Both of them at the same time?

8. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

I'm no Everly Brothers expert; but since the LP was released in 1964 I would guess it includes the 1962 recording. Incidentally, the LP was reissued as a Warner Brothers CD under the same title. I bought mine at Wal-Mart several years ago for $5.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. FlexFantastic

FlexFantastic Mechano-Man of the Future!

Apologies if these have already been mentioned:

Gang of Four's Return the Gift is, although not a re-recording of a specific Go4 album, a pretty good example of how to to re-recordings right. Each new cut stands well enough against its original, and in some cases even surpasses the original recording.

Slapshot re-recorded a bunch of old tracks for their Greatest Hits, Slashes and Crosschecks album, mostly unnecessarily.

Brian Wilson Presents Smile remains, of course, one of the greatest re-recordings of all time - and an exceptional album in itself. A bit of a unique circumstance around this one, obviously.

10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

:D

11. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

I was pleasantly surprised how well The Big O could still sing these songs about 20-25 years after they'd originally been hits. It really reminds me of the Black and White Night in places, probably due to the mid-1980s sounds they have in common.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  12. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes, he/they did a very good job on this release and it's stereo also if I'm remembering correctly.

DBMartin likes this.
  13. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Absolutely! I couldn't even imagine an artist re-recording songs in the 1980s in mono to be honest. Mind you, Roy's 1960s' originals were also released in beautiful, lush stereo, even though most people probably bought the (mono) singles first. It's great to hear his wonderful stereo recordings from a time when most popular artists were still focused on mono. Roy's sound engineer Bill Porter was ahead of his time when he put all that effort into great sounding stereo recordings back in those days.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  14. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

There were some oldies re-recorded by the original artists on various k-tel-type compilations. I hadn't grown up with the originals and usually the artists did a very similar reading to the original song, as I discovered later.

15. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

Does the second recording of the Goldberg Variations by Glenn Gould count?

Runicen likes this.
  16. That's all I have, except for live releases featuring a performance of a full album. I really like it. Of course the 1973 version is better, but with some great sections on side 2, John Cleese's humor and excellent sound the 2003 recording is absolutely worth having.

Shak Cohen and andrewskyDE like this.
  17. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

As a matter of fact, they have a new album coming out this month, Living in Reverse, and released a 12-track companion CD of re-recorded material: Crackology.

18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Country singer Sylvia's recent "Second Bloom" CD of re-recorded hits is excellent.

Country singer Lindsay Ell's re-recording of John Mayer's Continuum album is also excellent.

melstapler likes this.
  19. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Not on purpose, and no, I did not like it.

snowman872 likes this.
  20. robw

robw Forum Resident

21. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

I have a very inexpensive Bob Wills GH on MCA. I absolutely love it, but I get the impression it was re-recorded.
    Likely I'll have that First Impression idea I read here recently, where the first version of something you hear will be the one you like most.
    Imagine people hearing Aerosmith doing Come Together first, or worse, Elton John doing Pinball Wizard. Yikes !

melstapler likes this.
  22. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Motowns Greatest Hits double CD. It was ok. It was obvious they weren't the original recordings. Nicely recorded though.

23. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Elton's Pinball Wizard was awesome. I enjoy it so much more than the original by the Who.

As to the original question in this thread, I have purchased a few re-recordings that were compilations of popular hits - John Denver, Kenny Rogers and Charley Pride come to mind. These were not bad, but not as good as the originals. Also, I have Natalie Merchant's remake of Tigerlily, but I didn't see an improvement.

24. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

The version of One Thing Leads To Another by The Fixx on Spotify is a re-recorded version. No idea what the need to re-record it was, but it's become one of my favourite songs of all time; when I hear the original, it sounds wrong.

25. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

I'm actually glad you said that about EJ's Pinball. I love the diversity of opinions here, and figured there had to be people who like 'Smith more than the Beats, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.