Did you ever get to jam with any famous musicians?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Glenn Christense, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Yeah, my friend once toured with Pinback. Not only did we jam, but we were once in a band together!!

2. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Not any real jamming but at a CBS convention I helped sing back up for Living Colour on "Higher" during their live set. That was fun.

I have also air jammed with some greats for photos. All these guys seemed happy to play air instruments with me--John Paul Jones (air mandolin), Stevie Ray Vaughn, Steve Hackett, John Scofield, Harry Connick (air piano).

3. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Not exactly, but I did sing a few lines from "Finlandia" with Mary Travers.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

At concerts I think musicians are flattered when fans air guitar the rhythms, or move in anyway with the musical performances. I mean so long as you are not a drunk babbling idiot falling over on other people. I air strummed along to many songs with Dylan from the front row, and it seemed to make him tighten up his own efforts a bit. Like he was thinking that - this guys knows these songs and is demanding something out of these old chords right here. He barely took his eyes off of my right arm/wrist the entire performance. Rather than an air guitarist, I was more of a conductor standing front and center. Unforgettable!

longaway, Carserguev, ledsox and 2 others like this.
  5. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Billy Cobham.

6. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

1986 at the lone star cafe in new york. the show was touring as the trips festival and the two bands were the sounds of s.f. with john cipollina, joey covington, alex ligertwood, dave margen and gregg douglas and the other was a post bob weir version of kingfish. here's how this went. my friend produced the shows. kingfish was touring without a drummer and dave margen was filling in on bass. after the early show, i offered my services for their late set. after a brief introduction, we agreed on a few songs which went quite well. later on, during the sounds of s.f., in the middle of stormy monday which also included onnie mcintyre of the average white band sitting in, joey covington decided he was done for the night and left the stage. alex ligertwood attempted to play drums just long enough to finish the song. at the song's conclusion, i asked alex if he would like me to finish the set with them as i'd just played with kingfish. he invited me up and we had a great time, if only for a couple of songs. i missed the ending of gimme some lovin but i thought it went very well considering i'd never played with them before. it was quite exciting to be able to play with some of my heroes. a night i won't forget.

I'm also friends of the rowan brothers and have played with them several times including a house concert they did for me. here's a photo from that.

[​IMG]

Crispy Rob and theMess like this.
  7. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Iggy Pop held the mic for me to sing the last line of 'Funhouse' at a Stooges gig last year during the stage invasion.

(Does that count?)

john lennonist, BadJack and longaway like this.
  8. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

Pat Dinizio used to do "living room" gigs where you could hire him to play a party or whatever. My friend hired him to play at his barbecue and we both sat in on a couple of songs.

9. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Actually, I'm in the midst of getting ready for a Cynics show...me and my old bandmates are filling on drums, bass and guitar at a local Pittsburgh show, doing a bunch of old Cynics tunes with Gregg and Michael.

If you're into underground garage rock, then you might be into that :) It's just funny bc I knew Gregg and Michael as local music dudes first, before I realized how highly regarded they are in certain quarters.

10. I have jammed with the likes of:
    Jimmy Page
    Duane Allman
    BB King
    Eric Clapton
    Jeff Beck
    Steve Winwood
    Tom Petty
    and many many others!

Of course, they were up on stage, and I was playing my Air Guitar up in peanut heaven, but boy did we jam!!!

Rick G

Former member 30842 likes this.
  11. Stones Blah

Stones Blah Forum Resident

For thrash metal fans I have played with Rob Mills from the Canadian band Razor so many times I could not count.

12. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Henry Gross

13. Arthur Kane and I used to play fairly regularly over the years. He wanted us to go in the studio and record a cover of 'Bad To Me' but sadly it was not to be due to his passing.

pscreed likes this.
  14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Sat in many traffic jams to and from venues, that's as close as I've gotten.

15. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

I got to jam with Pete Best in The Casbah soon after the reopening in 1989 and jammed on "Peggy Sue" with The Crickets after their appearance in Wildwood, NJ in 2005.

Both were such incredibly cool things to do!

16. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Sang a few bars of Springsteen's Factory with David Johansen when I interviewed him in 1978.

17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I went to Butch Trucks house in 1977 when I lived in Florida. My roommate had lived in Tallahassee and knew people so we went there often on weekends to hangout. One time a few were going to Trucks house for a jam so I went too.
    This was during the breakup period when the Allmans were inactive to say the least. But h was taking tympani lessons and teaching one of those "hot to survive the business side of rock and roll. It was a very casual all day jam session and at one point one of the guitarists asked if I wanted to play so I took up the challenge and played a few songs with the group including a Latin rock jam that I enjoyed. After the session I helped Butch load his drums up in his station wagon
    and I saw a drum stick with a crack in it and I told Butch, I hate to full that fan crap on you but I'd love to have that stick and of course he gave it to me. It has Allman Brothers Band barely legible printed on the stick and it's one of those thick suckers too!

jpmosu likes this.
  18. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I've played a gig with Bo Diddley once, gigged and recorded with Sky Saxon (Seeds), and had Cyril Jordan over at my house once.

hipster006 and longaway like this.
  19. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I jammed with the 3rd drummer for Sly & The Family Stone at a wedding last year. I didn't know that's who he was until after the jam, though. He's off the radar now and runs a farm where they rent it out for weddings sometimes these days. Really nice guy!

20. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Active Member

I got to play a Jimi Hendrix 50th Birthday Celebration at New Georges, San Rafael, Nov, 1992. Played and jammed w/ Juma from Jimi's Woodstock lineup, and Rosa Lee Brooks, the lady Jimi recorded "My Diary" with in 1965

21. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

in 1986 my friend managed to get andy stein ex of commander cody to put together a band for his wedding. among others he had tomy garnier on bass who I knew from Robert Gordon, asleep at the wheel and buster poindexter. this was tony's pre bob Dylan days. as I was friends with tony we had a closing jam at the wedding with myself and another friend sitting it.

22. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

I jammed with Matthew Parmenter from Discipline a couple times. May do it again...

23. Crungy

Crungy Forum Resident

I've jammed with Guitar George at Buffos or was it the Music Gallery... :shh:

Glenn Christense likes this.
  24. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I went to a week-long guitar clinic in Germany back in 1999 and took some classes from, and jammed with, Tony MacAlpine.

EVOLVIST and Synthfreek like this.
  25. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Worked in the studio with:

Garth Hudson
    Graham Maby
    John Platania
    Gary Burke

Soundchecked on drums with Robert Gordon. Been touch and go on working with him(mostly touch, no go.)

Played a nylon-string guitar in front of Hugh McCracken, which was terrifying. I wanted to ask him to pick up something and join in, but my mouth wouldn't work.

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.