Did you ever get to see David Bowie live?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Sep 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

I feel fortunate to have caught Bowie live at all, once on the "A Reality" tour. Veterans Memorial Auditorium in Columbus, OH in 2004.

The set was a mix of new old. Bowie seemed in very good spirits, and his band was great. The crowd was very into it, though the response was notably muted to newer (and slower) songs like "Sunday" and "The Loneliest Guy" (I was thrilled to get hear those numbers).

David Bowie Setlist at Veterans Memorial Auditorium, Columbus »

It was a very good show, and quite memorable. What are your some your experiences seeing Bowie live?

2. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

The only tour I saw him on as well. Had nose bleeders, but it was still enjoyable, and I'm glad that I was able to go.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  3. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

I saw him from the 3rd row for the Serious Moonlight tour, and the 1st row for the Glass Spider show, which may have been too close for all the stuff going on. Saw him again in 1990, and with Tin Machine with only about 500 people at the Bronco Bowl in Dallas. Last time was with NIN when about 75% of the audience left after NIN was done. He was great every time. Looking back best might have been the NIN tour, coolest was seeing him for the first time and being so close in 1983.

footlooseman, Fullbug and Chrome_Head like this.
  4. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Yes I did!
    I was fortunate enough to see him in Horsens, Denmark at a small venue in july 2002.
    It was the first gig where he played Space Oddity since 1990.
    Incredible vibe that night.
    The picture are from the concert.

Set-list:
    *Warszawa
    *Space Oddity
    *Sunday
    *I’'ve Been Waiting For You
    *Hello Spaceboy
    *China Girl
    *Slip Away
    *Cactus
    *I Took A Trip on A Gemini Spaceship
    *I Would Be Your Slave
    *Subterrraneans
    *Ashes To Ashes
    *Heroes
    *Heathen
    *Speed Of Life
    *Everyone Say ’'Hi’'
    *Ziggy Stardust

[​IMG]

5. San Francisco Winterland 72 Ziggy Tour. Hinterland held 5000 people. 500 showed up. Bowie was pissed BUT it was great show. She the Station to Station Tour as Well and the Cow Palace as I recall. .

timnor, e.s., Jose Jones and 13 others like this.
  6. Django

Django Forum Resident

Yes, the earthling tour 1997. In the Olympia theatre in Dublin.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  7. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Approximately 100 times between 1987 and 2004, including TV shows that featured live performances.

8. Fred1970

Fred1970 Forum Phantom

I attended his last gig ever in Sweden in October 2003, the Reality Tour. Although, I didn't really appreciate some Earthling stuff, his performance was truly great. Also really cool to see Lennon guitarist Mr Slick :) I particularly remember Ashes To Ashes, absolutely stunning, and new song Slip Away.

9. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Yes. I was him when he came to Buenos Aires, back in 1990. He was promoting the ChangesBowie compilation.

He had Adrian Belew on guitar. Great show.

10. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Saw the Serious Moonlight tour in the Syracuse Carrier Dome. It was an OK show.

Would have liked to have seen one of the 'Stage' gigs.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  11. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Yeah I saw the Serious Moonlight tour too. In LA. It has never been in my list of best shows ever. Too lackluster and uninspired.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  12. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

Ziggy, Santa Monica '72 (you've heard it? The recording can't compare with the spectacle, obviously); Aladdin Sane, Long Beach '73 (I think); and a later show in Anaheim. "Serious Moonlight" perhaps? I can't remember because it wasn't that exciting.

13. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

9/22/72 Cleveland Public Hall. Bowie's first U.S. show.

14. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

2004 Chastain Park -- his last appearance in Atlanta

Chrome_Head likes this.
  15. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Only once, on his 1996 small club tour of the US East Coast at Boston's Avalon. Amazing show, with the Reeves Gabrel-anchored backing band that is still my favorite live band of his career. I was lucky enough to wriggle close enough to the stage that I could hear his excellent unamplified vocals over the club's PA. I've seen over 150 concerts over the course of 30 years and I'd say it counts as the best live show I've ever seen.

16. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

I saw him in Milton Keynes on the Serious Moonlight tour and Wembley on the Glass Spider tour. I'm glad I got to see him but neither of those tours were spectacular. I regret I didn't catch him on some of the later tours.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Me too, favorite performance was probably Loving The Alien.

Fred1970 and Chrome_Head like this.
  18. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I saw Tin Machine in NYC at a club called The World. It was a surprise show, announced on the radio day of, and I think it was their first gig. I lived a couple blocks from the club at the time and I doubt I would have got in otherwise, because tons of people lined up as soon as it was announced. It was really good, I have fond memories of that show.

19. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I saw the Serious Moonlight tour at Sullivan Stadium in Mass. Found it pretty underwhelming, unfortunately, which prevented me from going back to see him again subsequently. Everything was well-performed but I found the song selection predictable and uninspired, plus the venue itself was a terrible place for a concert.

Since I also caught Talking Heads and Peter Gabriel that summer, it wound up being only my third-favorite concert of the summer (beat out Loverboy).

Chrome_Head likes this.
  20. recklessczar

recklessczar Forum Resident

Feb 1973 Radio City ---Ziggy/Spiders
    July 1983 MSG Serious Moonlight
    July 1990 Nassau Coliseum Sound and Vision with Adrian Belew
    All Great Shows!
    What a great era! Bowie in Feb. and Pink Floyd one month later at Radio City Dark Side of the Moon.
    To paraphrase David St. Hubbins (Spinal Tap) I envy me. :laughup:

footlooseman and Chrome_Head like this.
  21. kippenhok

kippenhok Forum Resident

I saw him twice in 1997 on the Earthling tour: Paradiso club show in Amsterdam and Wercher festival show a month later.

The Paradiso was one of the try-outs where Bowie opened with a drum n bass inspired set, and then a full 2hr +set. Incredible to be up close in a small venue, and just seeing Bowie and the band relax and have fun.

The festival show a few days later had a similar set, but a totally different experience with a 60k crowd and Bowie being in the role of entertainer

Chrome_Head likes this.
  22. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

Yep...
    Sound and Vision tour in 1990.
    We were near the back, but a great show and setlist.
    Happy days..

Chrome_Head likes this.
  23. Complier

Complier Senior Member

10/3/97 Philly

5/13/04 Hershey

EProphet, ODShowtime and Chrome_Head like this.
  24. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I saw Bowie once, on the Glass Spider Tour with Peter Frampton. Not one of the best shows I've seen, but I had a good time.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  25. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Yes. 1990 at the Jacksonville Memorial Coliseum. It was general admission and I ran and got right in the front center. Amazing show and setlist.

At the end of the show we drove back to Gainesville and went to a party where my band played a few Bowie songs! Great night of fun.

Chrome_Head likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.