Did you ever get to watch "real" movies in school?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Back in the later 50's several classes at our school would watch a film in the auditorium, I remember watching Spirit of St. Louis and Song of Bernadette.
    It was a Catholic grade school.

Steve Litos likes this.
  2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Not in school, but I remember that a local church used to run films in the basement on Saturday. It was mostly mainstream stuff; I remember seeing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and lots of Disney live-action films. I was always fascinated by the projector and the spinning reels.

I vaguely remember school running an adaption of Treasure Island. All I remember about that one is that it was uncomfortable sitting on the floor for two hours.

driverdrummer likes this.
  3. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Off the top of my head, only in high school. For English class we read Romeo and Juliet and West Side Story. I can't think of any other movies until college. For me, elementary school was the 60s, middle and high school was in the 70s. Teachers weren't about to show movies (in my school) in the 60s.

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I had a great English teacher in High School who would always show us the movie adaptations of the books we read (and sometimes, just random Twilight Zone episodes for fun). :)

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Only so far as Disney shorts and cartoons. Took time to change reels. Lots of 10" 12" and 16 " reels. I was the guy that ran the projector for the whole school.

Steve Litos likes this.
  6. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

The Taming of The Shrew starring Liz Taylor and Richard Burton comes to mind in my 11th grade English class. I don't recall anything else.

Steve Litos likes this.
  7. PaulKTF

Wow, that must have sucked. I bet you were glad when either A). You left that school, or B). VHS tapes came out.

:)

8. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Are you kidding? I RAN the school. I worked in the cafeteria(real cooked food), I ran the projector after 3rd grade, and I was the Boy Scout that raised and lowered the flag and folded. Oh and a Safety Patrol guy too.

Steve Litos and drasil like this.
  9. PaulKTF

Psst... Your school was just trying to save money by having you do all of the odd jobs for free. :winkgrin:

10. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

Well 30 odd yrs ago..my high school English Teacher and Art Teacher used to show a Movie in Class..maybe once a month?..some I still like to this day :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]free screen capture

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    Steve Litos likes this.
  11. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I remember in junior high and high school we'd get to watch a film in the auditorium every once in awhile. The only one I can remember was Bullitt, which was pretty cool. Of course the big car chase sequence got big cheers.

Steve Litos likes this.
  12. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Elementary school in the 50s and early 60s - NO.
    Junior high and high school in the mid 60s - NO.
    College in the late 60s and early 70s - NO.

We only ever got to see those filmstrip thingies and the regular education-type films, usually on the subject of the sciences.

We had a college art professor who swore up and down that we must see CITIZEN KANE someday, totally uncut, yet he never managed to get a copy and show it to us.

Of course this was all before the age of home video, so it was rather understandable. I think we were given a better education back then, rather than waste valuable learning time by watching movies.

A couple of decades or so ago, we lived across the street from a Spanish secondary education teacher. As a reward for her class at the end of the year, she wanted to show them a VHS movie. I suggested that she show them a copy of E.T. with a Spanish soundtrack. She couldn't find one anywhere, but I caught a listing on the Spanish channel that they were showing it one day, so I taped it for her and she showed it to the class. Something like that I find educational and worthwhile. It was a familiar movie and everyone already knew the story. This was a chance for them to hear the dialog in the language they studied.

JamieC likes this.
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

We might have watched Old Yeller. I think I remember that. :)

14. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Other than educational films the only real movie we saw at an assembly on the projector was Dr. Doolittle with Rex Harrison. Every other film we saw was on tape, either vhs or betamax and in our own classes.

15. Jayce

Jayce Forum Resident

In grammar school, we watched Dinsey's "Legend of Sleepy Hollow" every Halloween in the gym. I think we watched "A Boy Named Charlie Brown."

Steve Litos likes this.
  16. Pastle

Pastle Forum Resident

That's a rough one. Little kids can be scarred by that movie.

17. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Allll the time. In high school, usually it was an adaptation of a book. Or a Spanish movie.

drasil likes this.
  18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Yeah. I still don't feel good about that one after many decades. :(

19. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Yep. And it was via film projectors.

I am old.

GodShifter likes this.
  20. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

In junior high ('78-'81) we had a magazine subscription scheme that raised money for the school. If you sold at least one subscription you got to go to a movie one afternoon during school time, shown in the auditorium. We got Superman the Movie one year, and The Muppet Movie one other time.

Steve Litos likes this.
  21. PaulKTF

Awesome choices! :)

22. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Last year in social studies class, I got to watch Forrest Gump.

23. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

One of my highschool teachers showed us Dances With Wolves.... for some reason I think it was in geography class.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  24. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

The same social studies teacher who showed us Forrest Gump also showed as that as well.

25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yes. I got to watch "Jeremiah Johnson" and Zeffirelli's "Romeo and Juliet" in school.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.