Did you ever see a guest star on a TV show that surprised you?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lasvidfil, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ringosshed

ringosshed Forum Resident

Frank Sinatra on Who's The Boss.

guy incognito likes this.
  2. drmark7

drmark7 Forum Resident

Speaking of THE MONKEES, there was a strange combo of guests on today's broadcast on ANTENNA TV... LON CHANEY, JR. (aka. THE WOLFMAN) and ROSE MARIE (from THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW)(!) Then coincidentally... vintage comedian JERRYCOLONNA appeared on both McCALES NAVY and the 2nd episode shown today of THE MONKEES!

3. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

Henry Winkler on Mary Tyler Moore (pre Fonzie)

Harrison Ford on Ironside (I had to back up the DVD to make sure)

John Laroquette on Ellery Queen (another DVD rewindable moment)

Dick Clark on the last episode of Perry Mason

4. fiendish_thingy

fiendish_thingy Forum Resident

I don't know if it was surprising but it was pretty cool when Stephen Hawking played poker on the Enterprise-D holodeck.

5. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I was watching some show this morning. Some women doctor thing set back in the day. I'll find the name later. But all of a sudden I saw June Carter and Johnny Cash in it! and he even sung!.

6. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman?

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

not lately, but when I'm watching my old TV shows box sets I'm amazed at all the young actors in those shows that became huge stars years later.

old4mat likes this.
  8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Al Gore on Futurama:

9. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

That's the one!

OldSoul likes this.
  10. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

John Hurt in the last episode of season 7 of the new Doctor Who.

11. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Peter Tork on 90s sitcom 'Wings'

Darryl

12. MSG 1979

MSG 1979 Forum Resident

Roseanne had a pretty eclectic group of guest stars. I think much of it had to so with the power of Werner and his connections to music and film. Bonnie Bramlett did a good job with her acting for those seasons she was on. If you didn't know she was really a singer, you would just think she was an actress. I loved the episodes where she would get up onstage at that bar and belt out some blues. She still had a great voice.

13. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Peter Frampton on Baa Baa Black Sheep

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Wow - that's a good one! Never knew he did a guest spot on that show...

15. MSG 1979

MSG 1979 Forum Resident

The Standells ("Dirty Water") on The Muensters

Beware, the only clip I could find is with Spanish Dialogue, but the song is in English.

16. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

Sure, Eddie Van Halen on Two And a Half Men. Surpised to see him on a TV series and surprised to see so healthy.

17. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Happened by an episode of RHODA on MeTV the other night, and while neither guest star was all that surprising, the fact that they were in the same episode was interesting. It was John Ritter and Norman Fell in a 1975 episode, the year prior to them both being in THREE'S COMPANY.

Harry

OldSoul likes this.
  18. MSG 1979

MSG 1979 Forum Resident

Seeing Cash mentioned above, I remember a great Columbo where he played (what else?) a country music singer who purposely crashes his private plane killing his wife (Ida Lupino maybe?) so he can be with his young back up singer. Don't know if he parachutes out (I think he slips his wife coffee spiked with sleeping pills, so he can bail) or what, but of course Columbo gets him in the end. He does an onstage bit (a gospel song "I Saw the Light"). The running gag is that everyone at the stationhouse gives Columbo guff given that he is the most unlikely Country music fan.

Winkler is mentioned above too. I think he was a one shot patient of Bob Newhart's (a not very good thief) who gives him a state of the art "video tape machine". At the end he gets caught stealing again.

DesertChaos likes this.
  19. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I don't recall how they explained a man with shoulder-length hair in a WWII story.

20. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0517357/

21. MSG 1979

MSG 1979 Forum Resident

Your comment reminded me of the hippie tank brigade from Kelly's Heroes (Gavin MacLeod, Donald Sutherland). Used to crack me up. It was a satire, but it made me laugh. And both of them acted stoned the whole time, but of course Clint and the rest of the "regular characters" never address it.

22. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

Two from "Columbo". Famous designer Edith Head (35 Oscar nominations, 8 wins) in the episode "Requiem for a falling star".
    A card game that killer-dentist goes to weekly that has Nancy Walker, Dick Sargent and baseball's Ron Cey. The good detective eventually recognizes Walker (neglects to say how much Mrs Columbo loved "'Can't Stop The Music"), instantly recognizes Cey but doesn't know Second Darrin.

Oh, excuse me, one more thing, I hope I am not bothering you. Walter Cronkite stopped by "Mary Tyler Moore" to visit Lou Grant and gets to meet Ted Baxter (and promises to get even with Grant).

23. Jamiroquai

Jamiroquai Forum Resident

Not a tv show but movie. Chris Isaak in Silence of the Lambs.

24. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

David Letterman on Mork & Mindy. I didn't know who he was, but I remember thinking.."Wow...that guy is an ass but very funny"

25. Guest stars on Scooby Do was an ongoing thing:

(from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Scooby-Doo_Movies#Special_guest_cast )

Special guest cast

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.