Did your dad's system get you into Hi-Fi?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SkyBlueShag, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Well I did (sort of). Around 1985 my Dad and I visited his friend who just got a new stereo. It was a Fisher "Studio Standard" setup with one of those new Compact Disc players. To my 15-year-old ears it was awesome. Dad got excited but went cheap and got a sears rack system (sans CDP). I remember the turntable and radio were okay but the tape deck sucked (lots of hiss...no dolby). Anyway, it was my gateway into hi-fi as I quickly connected my own CDP to it...30 years later here we are!

2. ARCCJ

ARCCJ Forum Resident

O yea my dad's system got me into hi-fi since it sounded like dog doo. Some old mono hi-fi console in the cellar, worn out record player, dull sound from poor tweeter and old tubes. Started a lifelong sickness for me. ;) Yes my kiddie stuff sounded worse but I worked my way up when I got to teen years, then got a job, and at this time in my life I am ready to be a 12-stepper. :D

3. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

Absolutely not but I hope my interest influences my kids.

4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I too have enjoyed reading all these stories. Many of us have a dad to thank, or another family member.

What I find hilarious is that I first learned the word audiophile from my father, and he was referring to himself (and still does!).

He would be stunned to log on here and learn he is playing baseball in the Cape Cod league, not the Red Sox!! :)

5. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

Not my own fathers but both my best friend and my then girlfriend fathers had good Hi-Fi systems.

My best mate’s father had an AKAI separates system, he was the first person I knew who had a CD player, which had not been launched that long before.

My girlfriend’s father had a system mainly composed of ReVox and a very expensive turntable which no one was allowed to operate but him.

When either of their parents were away over night it was always a particularly good time for me, with my mate, we used to come home from the pub, takeaway in hand and listen to the likes of Joy Davison, marvelling at Martin Hannett’s production until first light :righton:

Whenever my girlfriends parents were away her fathers system always provided exceptional background music for other activities :D

6. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Simple answer?... yep, I grew up with a valve run Hifi (circa 1953) and massive vinyl collection in the house, which set a high standard for listening. We had a piano too.

7. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

No. I didn't like my dad's music and must have sort of equated it with stereos. I remember going with him to the showroom and standing around bored for an hour while he shopped and spoke to the salesperson. Just never felt it had anything to do with my own musical interests. There was a bit of a generational divide between the 70s and 80s.

8. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

Actually it was my system that got my dad into hi-fi. True story.

9. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

No, my Dads' radiogram didn't get me into hi-fi, it got me into trouble.

One day with no one around, I decided to take off a panel & look inside to find out what made the slight burning smell it gave off & the orange glow through some of the slots. I knocked a red-hot valve which burnt a hole in the new living room carpet. I have been a tranny-man ever since, if you know what I mean

10. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

My dad's music collection got me into hifi.

vinyl13 likes this.
  11. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

------------------------
    Yes, but it was a mono RCA flip top, table top, record player with a swell duo-cone 8" speaker in the front of a mahogany cabinet. 33, 45, and 78 which Dad has a lot of. But, it was the start in developing a love of music. It did have bass and treble controls, but not sure how much good they did.

12. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

....well. you had me on....I thought you were Automatic Man....."....hero of the psychic future...." ;) Thar ain't no thang as "tranny-man" in 'Merican Anglish, que?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.