Difference between Criterion and Regular Issue SPINAL TAP DVD?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Roland Stone, Jan 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member Thread Starter

I see the regular THIS IS SPINAL TAP DVD in almost every store that carries movies, but I hesitate to buy it thinking I might one day run into the OOP Criterion Collection version. Not having seen either, what is the difference between the two releases?

2. GregY

GregY New Member

For starters, the MGM disc is 1.85:1 anamorphic while the Criterion was 1.70:1 non-anamorphic.

The MGM DVD has a remixed DD 5.1 soundtrack while the Criterion was DD 2.0.

Check out this review for information on the big differences:
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews/thisisspinaltapse.html

They have different commentaries:
    I have the Criterion version and I'm quite happy with it. However, there are extras on the MGM version that aren't on the Criterion one (and vice versa of course.) If you like the movie, you might as well pick up the MGM version on the cheap.

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I still curse myself for missing the Criterion, which I read has a different commentary track, and some different extras, though not sure what those were. I'd like to find a copy too! But the commentary on the now-common edition is hilarious, so still worth picking up!

ED:ed:

4. Roland Stone

Great! Sounds like the cheap one is the good one -- I'd definitely prefer more in-character commentary to tech talk.

5. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I'd love to hear the Criterion commentary tracks one day, but the in-character track on the MGM disc makes it like seeing a whole new, just as hilarious, version of the movie. From what I've heard, both discs are equally worthwhile, just for different reasons.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Both really compliment each other - I'd want to have both, though if I just cared about watching the movie, the MGM one's superior.

My review has a detailed listing of the differences:

http://www.dvdmg.com/thisisspinaltap.shtml

7. Roland Stone

Maybe I missed it in your review, but does either DVD edition contain the television special that aired a few years back?

8. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Colin's got a great, detailed look at the various releases. In short, these are the extras I found to be unique to Criterion (both LD and DVD):

"From the Archive" (Midnight Special spoof, approx. 4 minutes)

"The Final Tour" (early "working version" of the film, 20 min.)

"Cheese Rolling" promo (longer of the 2 versions, 4:20)

Cutting room floor: around half of these deleted scenes did not make the MGM, and are randomly dispersed throughout the 80 minutes (Conversely, about half of the MGM's outtakes are not on the Criterion)

2 commentaries: Reiner/producers & Guest/McKean/Shearer (vs. the "Tufnel/St. Hubbins/Smalls" commentary on the MGM)

Additionally, only the Criterion LD has script and photo stills. You might be able to find the Criterion LD for less than the DVD, if you own or have access to an LD player.

These are a must for any fan of the film, especially "Final Tour."

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No.

10. jdw

jdw Senior Member

I remember reading an interview with one of the people who prepared the MGM DVD reissue. MGM's idea was to keep the illusion that Spinal Tap is a real band and "This Is Spinal Tap" was a real documentary. So everything on the DVD is approached from the point of view that Marty DiBergi and Nigel Tufnel (and the others) are real people. This was a good idea because it allowed the MGM DVD to approach things in a completely different way than the Criterion disc.

The Criterion has all the film-makers appearing (in commentaries, etc.) as themselves, but the results are still hilarious. One interesting thing I remember from the McKean/Guest/Shearer Criterion commentary is that the three of them are required to do a new Spinal Tap project approximately every 5 years to keep control of the rights to the band's name.

I've read that there are several hours of bootleg outtakes floating around, so there's plenty of material for MGM to do a couple more "special editions" as time goes on...

11. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

The MGM has a slightly crisper picture. The Criterion version is more film-like. The MGM is anamorphic, the Criterion is not, but because of the narrow aspect ratio, it prpbably doesn't matter, except on a VERY large TV, where the MGM will have an edge. Otherwise, I vote for the Criterion for picture quality.

The MGM has some entertaining extras, but not in the same league as the Criterion. The Criterion commentaries provide you with a lot of information about the film - the MGM commentary is just fun. The MGM has deleted footage not available on the Criterion, and vise-versa. The Criterion has additional features not on the MGM that are well worth seeing.

My advice:

Pick up Spinal Tap on MGM for the $10 or so it costs on sale. It's a great flick and the extras are worth $10. As for the Criterion, don't count on finding a copy unless you're willing to go the ebay route and shell out $70 - $150. Too many video fanatics/retailers/used DVD store clerks know what this disc is and what it's worth. Even if a copy DID show up in a used store it would probably never reach the shelves.

If you LOVE the movie or get into collecting Criterions, shell out the extra $$$ for a sealed copy - the Criterion is double-sided and therefore hard to find open with both sides mint. You should be able to pick one up for around $100 if you're patent, and if you become a fan of this film, the Criterion extras are worth the expense.

12. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Pretty much all of the footage used for that special was also in The Return Of Spinal Tap, which was released on home video in the mid-90's, with more concert footage than was shown on the NBC broadcast.

It's out of print in the USA, but I've seen Brazillian DVD copies in places like Best Buy and Media Play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.