SH Spotlight Difference in early 1930's recording techniques. Isham Jones & his Orchestra BRUNSWICK vs. VICTOR

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 3, 2018.

1. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Forum Resident

Neil Young...and people broke his balls over it, too. Not these particular recording techniques or the gear, but a 1947 Voice-o-Graph for recording direct to vinyl.

There's also a few companies out there who offer modern gear for recording straight to vinyl.

So, I mean, we can make our own "vintage" recordings, only it will cost a pretty penny from my understanding.

2. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Well-Known Member

There’s also Jack White with his telephone booth thing.

Although it’s more of a purposeful embrace of lo-fi, whereas the recordings in Steve’s OPs were bleeding edge and still sound relatively great today.

3. action pact

action pact ^^ Sandy Warner, "The Exotica Girl"

4. action pact

action pact ^^ Sandy Warner, "The Exotica Girl"

5. Jskoda

Jskoda Active Member

This reminds me--I was in Barnes & Noble the other day, and in the magazine section there was something called "The Top 100 Recordings You Need to Have," and I picked it up out of curiosity to see what it said.

The entries were organized by decade. The earliest category was "50s/60s," and this had 10 entries. The next was "70s," and this had more than 40 entries!

I put the magazine back right then.

thrivingonariff likes this.
  6. WayOutWardell

WayOutWardell Well-Known Member

Somebody made a wax cylinder recording of a 1979 Tiny Tim song. As I understand it, TT had a huge collection of cylinders.

This thread is just fascinating to me - I really love learning how things like this were accomplished back then.

Sidebar: there's a book about early jazz bands that mentions two big ballrooms here in Chicago (the Trianon and the Aragon), and how the owners solved the problem of how to provide continuous music when the band went on break - build two stages and hire two bands! The Trianon had two separate stages, and the Aragon had one bandstand behind the other.
    And very soon after the Aragon opened, another problem became apparent. The ceiling (which is completely smooth and curved to give the illusion of being outdoors) caused an echo that confused the dancers, and those who were farther from the stage had a hard time figuring out which beat to dance to!

7. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Forum Resident

The date of this recording is actually January 23, 1945. The sounds are British Lancaster and Halifax bombers, as well as German anti-aircraft cannons. I thought 1944 might be a bit too early. After all, the allies didn't really push into the Rhineland until after Christmas 1944.

Mr. Explorer, adad and action pact like this.