Differences between "Help!" + "Rubber Soul" original UK mix and George Martin's remixes??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParloFax, Aug 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Reverb was added to the remixes, so it was most like digital.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Say what?

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Ignore me that would be so positive...

4. Col

Col Forum Resident

Just got the 65 stereo mix(Beatles convention,Liverpool) and while I don't have the audiophile vocabulary,they sounded right,natural and good;depth and dynamics are there.It's like I am discovering this disc!

John Bliss, DRM and forthlin like this.
  5. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

What are you trying to say?

6. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I feel bad for you... I enjoy the original stereo as much as anyone, but I also love these remixes. It’s like I get multiple versions of the same song that I get to enjoy! It’s great

John Bliss, jricc and 905 like this.
  7. ParloFax

ParloFax Senior Member Thread Starter

I still need to spot check the differences listed upthread to confirm that I have indeed the old CDs with the original mix.

I was expecting something more radical. Like that first non-Canadian CD owner who discovered this and reported his finding on the Net, who went "Whoa, what is this!?" upon hearing the original canuck CD of Rubber Soul...

In other words, I am surprised that George Martin went to the trouble of remixing those two discs to come up with what is, to my amateur ear, subtleties instead of more glaring changes.

Thanks for chiming in on this!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  8. Michael

don't, nice gesture though...: )

Octavian likes this.
  9. Michael

what????

10. I will add that in the original mix of 'In My Life' you can hear John draw in his breath before he begins to sing the first line. In the remix, his vocal track is muted until just before the first word is sung.

PhantomStranger and ParloFax like this.
  11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

To be fair the '09 CDs of the remixes were mastered so that they sound more like the other (mixed analog) albums.
    So perhaps if you want to hear more differences compare the standard '87 CD with those containing the original mixes.

ParloFax likes this.
  12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

On the Dizzy Miss Lizzy remix the reverb sounds very digital but it could be the way it was mixed/mastered.

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What sounds "very digital" about it?

14. ParloFax

I thought it would make more sense, indeed. I couldn't find these post-remix/pre-09 CDs at the library, so I figured this would be enough for me to get the picture...

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The sound makes me think of the early 80s digital reverb units, like the first Lexicons. Difficult to describe, they have a certain way of handling the early reflections/damping/decay time that is unlike acoustic reverb and later digital reverbs.

16. EdwardDingle

EdwardDingle Well-Known Member

The reverb on the remixes most definitely sounds "twittery" and digital to me, however it was done.

17. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Hearing the original mixes after hearing the remixes for so long was such a revelation. It felt like a natural recording.

notesfrom likes this.
  18. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of reverb.

AlienRendel likes this.
  19. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

The problem with the reverb on the remixes isn't digital vs analog, it is that too much of it was used. Dizzy Miss Lizzy is unlistenable. For reasons unknown, George Martin decided that the most annoying thing about the track, Harrison's double-tracked repetitious guitar fills needed to be swamped in reverb, thereby turning the annoying into a track that is automatically skipped every time.

905, Shawn, Plan9 and 2 others like this.
  20. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Lizzy is not one of my favorites. Similar to Long Tall Sally.

jtiner likes this.
  21. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

The 1965 mix of Help! sounds all right to me. RS is also listenable although they could have made more use of the center channel. Proper remixes from de-mixed 4 tracks could be interesting. The 1987 mixes are not so good.

Blue Cactus and ParloFax like this.
  22. ParloFax

That's the case with the '09, right? Well, I don't find Dizzy Miss Lizzie unlistenable at all. John's not drenched in reverb - it sounds more like echo to me actually, and the guitar lick remains perfectly audible, save for that point where it has always faltered anyway... ...But it's possible that I'm not comparing it to the right source after all (see my previous post - it's back to "the hunt" for me, I guess...).

ZippyPippy likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

OK, the moderators cleaned up this thread, took all my Lexicon and George Martin bashing out. Sorry for all that, carry on.

Did they take out my "the remixes sound burnt" stuff? Well, they do.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No.

25. ParloFax

^^^I have a headache.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.