Different McIntosh MC 30 models

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Henry Love, Jul 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dieselfish

dieselfish New Member

Greetings, I am a new member looking for information on a pair of MC30 amps. I have a pair That I have had for 32 years. They are consecutive serial numbers with a very light coat of surface rust, looks like dust. I have not fired them up since 1987. What would be a good asking price for them? Thanks

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

3. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member Thread Starter

Back then I got my first MC30 on ebay from a consignment place.$500 for the first one,then the dealer posts the second one.Consecutive serial number to mine but someone else was determined to have it.I dropped out at $1100.

4. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

A really nice pair of MC30s I acquired last summer from the widow of the original owner who also happened to be a close personal friend of Paul Klipsch. They had been installed in an enclosed cabinet where they remained until last year.

Serial numbers are varied - the owner had begun with a mono system with a McIntosh C8 preamplifier. When stereo appeared, a McIntosh C8 S was added, and the other MC30. This system was used with a pair of Klipschorns made of Brazilian Rosewood built personally, and given by PWK to his friend. This remained his main listening system until his recent passing.

Other than an electronic restoration by Audio Classics, they remain completely original cosmetically - that is except for the main capacitors. Unfortunately there was no getting around that.

After searching for years, these were the best unrestored pair I could find.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Specs after restoration.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  5. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Hi there @MisterBritt. I noticed you have the 60th anniversary MC75 amps. How would you describe the difference in sound between your MC30s and the modern Macs? Any preference? Thank you.

6. 575maranello

575maranello Forum Resident

My MC30's are from 1956. They have a label.

7. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member Thread Starter

8. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Hi @FashionBoy. I've had a couple pairs of Mc30s in my past but I don't feel qualified to try and compare them to the modern Mc75s. I never had both the Mc30s and the Mc75s at the same time. On a practical side, I am using a rather long run of balanced (XLR) interconnects between my preamp and the Mc75s. The Mc30s are RCA jacks only. Also, I am experimenting with both Shunyata and High Fidelity Cables as power cords and you don't have an option like that with the older McIntosh amps. Your question was about the difference in sound, but it's just been too long for me to think intelligently about comparing the Mc30s to the new Mc75s. The modern McIntosh amps allow for more options with cables and cords. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.