"Dig It" (on Let it Be)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Oct 6, 2016.

1. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

And then there's this:

Doris Day and Paul McCartney in conversation ยป

john hp, Culpa and Mal like this.
  2. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

except that Spector adding strings to any of the tracks completely circumvents the original project. At least he was able to " dig " out the best takes though and i think his short version of Dig it used as lead in to LIB works very well indeed.

milankey likes this.
  3. slane

slane Forum Resident

To be fair to Spector, the band and George Martin had already overdubbed horns and cellos and angelic backing vocals (as well as other things) onto the song 'Let It Be' prior to Spector becoming involved. It could be that Spector just took his cue from there when going through the tapes.

Gems-A-Bems, S. P. Honeybunch and DTK like this.
  4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Forum Resident

About once a year I listen through a CDR I compiled called "Digging It" that starts with Enoch Powell / Commonwealth / Get Off and then includes all of every version they did of Can You Dig It and Dig It. Also includes a couple more stream of consciousness word association jams from those sessions to fill out the 80 minute disk.

Don't know that I have ever found anyone else interested enough to listen to the whole thing with me, but I "Dig It!"

Can you?

5. muffmasterh

I personally doubt it, d, it's all speculation of course, GM seemed to stay well clear of anything to do with the Get Back album after John told he his did not want any of his production **** on it. I'm not sure of the timeline but GM may have done this with a view to its future single release after the Get Back album was finally abandoned.

6. Haristar

Haristar Forum Resident

Though the decision to exclude it on LIB surely predated the decision to include it on Hey Jude.

7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Forum Resident

Why do you say that?

8. slane

slane Forum Resident

The overdubs on 'Let It Be' were done the day after 'I Me Mine' had been recorded ( the sessions on 3 & 4 January, 1970). The 'final' 'Get Back' album was compiled on the 5th Jan.

My point is that when going through the tapes, Spector would have found orchestral overdubs on this song, so may then have thought it was ok to do the same on other songs.

In an interview, Spector mistakenly thought that George Martin had left the album 'half-finished', which makes it sound like he received scant information or instructions about the original intent.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  9. Haristar

Haristar Forum Resident

Why would they release the B-side of a single that could easily be on LIB? And why wasn't Across the Universe included on Hey Jude?

10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Forum Resident

I was thinking you had some reason to believe the track list for Let It Be was established before that for Hey Jude.

I am not clear how these questions you are raising are relevant or conclusive to the point you raised.

Across the Universe of course had an orchestra over dubbed by Spector expressly for inclusion on the soundtrack album he was producing, so that was in the works for a while.

11. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I never thought of that (Spector hearing the overdubs). Hey man-all bets are off, bring me a string section and a choir!!! I'm not being sarcastic -it is a good point.

They must have had some idea of the final film edit, but I thought I read a rehearsal of All Things Must Pass was in MLH's original cut. Imagine a Jan. 3 recording of it-oh well.

It could have been worse...Spector could have scored Dig it....would have then resembled perhaps a Zappa piece...:D

slane likes this.
  12. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I've also posted in another thread somewhere...what if the Beatles used a Mellotron in these sessions?

13. muffmasterh

it is possible i guess although personally i still doubt it, but hey you never know.

14. muffmasterh

Well the A side, or a version of it was on LIB so why not the B side? The reason most likely has to be Hey Jude but my point was they could have used a different version. As for Universe that also had already been released ( or a treatment of it ) on the My World WWF Charity album at the end of 69, Spector was working on a different version for Let it Be so if they were going to include it on Hey Jude it would have had to have been the charity version which could have then hit charity sales of that My World album released just a few months earlier, even though HJ was primarily a concept for the US market potentially hurting the sales of a charity disc may have been a bit problematic even for Klein....

15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Forum Resident

[QUOTE="Rfreeman, post: 15170833, member: 22859]... Across the Universe of course had an orchestra over dubbed by Spector expressly for inclusion on the soundtrack album he was producing, so that was in the works for a while.[/QUOTE]
    Question about Across the Universe:

Who had the idea to even include this song in the Let It Be album? The song was originally recorded in February 1968. John was unhappy with the result, but he still decided to give it to the World Wildlife benefit album---which after many delays came out in late 1969. Now, I know that John briefly tried it out at Twickenham (I don't think that the band tracked it during the sessions at Apple Studio). But was the decision SOLELY because Michael Lindsay-Hogg included that brief snippet of film with the song, or did John suddenly decide that he wanted that song included on the album? I mean, there were a bunch of songs, like Suzy Parker and Maxwell Silver's Hammer, included in the film that were NOT on the LP---so who said "let's include Across The Universe on the LP"?

16. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Across The Universe was in Glyn John's last version of Get Back, already remixed some. Don't Let Me Down was still there (different version from 45, not rooftop), Teddy Boy gone. Jan. 1970 version.

17. muffmasterh

Question about Across the Universe:

Who had the idea to even include this song in the Let It Be album? The song was originally recorded in February 1968. John was unhappy with the result, but he still decided to give it to the World Wildlife benefit album---which after many delays came out in late 1969. Now, I know that John briefly tried it out at Twickenham (I don't think that the band tracked it during the sessions at Apple Studio). But was the decision SOLELY because Michael Lindsay-Hogg included that brief snippet of film with the song, or did John suddenly decide that he wanted that song included on the album? I mean, there were a bunch of songs, like Suzy Parker and Maxwell Silver's Hammer, included in the film that were NOT on the LP---so who said "let's include Across The Universe on the LP"?
    [/QUOTE]

Arnie my suspicion is that John sanctioned it as he was unhappy with the version in the can that eventually appeared of the WWF album. Spector and LIB gave him a chance to better showcase this song and to be honest the LIB version is a vast improvement ( although i personally prefer the Naked version which combines the improvement on the treatment vs the WWF version with the removal of the orchestrations which to me are inconsistent with the whole LIB/Get Back project) .

18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Forum Resident

Also I expect that inclusion of ATU, Dig It and Maggie Mae were in part because John contributed so little otherwise to the album (though of course DLMD also would have addressed that).

His only new real tune on the album was Dig a Pony.

Culpa likes this.
  19. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Heather McCartney broke up the Beatles.

AlienRendel likes this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Yes, I do think John had to have to been the person to suggest it. BUT I can't find a quote or source stating that, so maybe it was someone else.

21. muffmasterh

agreed unless you can find a source it remains a best guess, Spector may have just done it off his own back.

22. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Spector gets a lot of flack, but he didn't just hijack the tapes though did he? When he was hired for the job did they really think he wouldn't overdub anything? Had he ever "produced" a record featuring merely a 5-piece band?

I find it hard to believe that they would have expected him to "remain true to the original intent of the project" and deliver anything like Glyn Johns' attempts. And if they were all so concerned about the original intent, "warts and all", etc, then maybe they wouldn't have practically disowned the finished film all these years, 'cause that's where we did get to see the warts.

I'm sure they had a pretty good idea of what he was up to, even if McCartney wasn't particularly pleased with one of the final results. Wasn't Ringo there recording with the orchestra at one point?

Anyway, it may be a bit of an oddball, but it's still a great album full of great songs, Spector did a fine job, and I love it, including Dig It!

applejam101 likes this.
  23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Fun stuff. Isn't Linda's daughter Heather wailing on a large portion of the full Dig It the album version was edited from? Seemingly inspired by Yoko...

24. Arnold Grove

Glyn Johns was told to include "Across The Universe" in his final version of the Get Back/Let It Be album compiled in early January 1970. And this was about 3 months BEFORE Spector entered the picture. So someone had to have insisted on including the song on the LP before Spector was involved.

We may not know the exact story until Lewisohn discusses this song in Volume 3 of his Beatles book series.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    AlienRendel likes this.
  25. muffmasterh

lets hope we live long enough to find out, in the meantime and in ruling out Spector our suspicions that John was the prime mover must remain strong.

AlienRendel and Arnold Grove like this.