Digital front end with analog volume?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jh901, Jan 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The integration of stereo power amplifier and pre amplifier into a single component has been around as long as the "receiver" (includes tuner and phono). Or nearly as long? Offerings of hi end integrated amplifiers are ubiquitous these days. Some now include a digital section and phono - the "universal integrated".

There are also universal digital front ends that oft times include hard drive storage. Output the analog to line pre or traditional integrated amp.

What I'm curious about are phyisical disc players or digital front ends that are designed to output volume controlled analog direct to a power amp. Specifically, those with analog volume control much like a line stage pre amp. If not analog, then at least thoughtfully designed digital volume.

Any of you have a short list of examples to consider and discuss?

Much appreciated.

2. jh901

Ok, one more try.

SACD/CD PLAYER with volume control?

DAC (outboard) with volume control?

ALL OTHER Digital front ends with volume control?

Each can be used to send analog directly to a traditional power amplifier. Gotta be some examples that are well regarded and some that are a bit comprised (for impact on sound quality).

Appreciate any insight!

3. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

Mytek Brooklyn DAC +

jh901 likes this.
  4. timind

timind phorum rezident

I've owned two with excellent analog volume controls. Resolution Audio CD-50, and then the Resolution Audio Opus 21. I used the Opus 21 directly into power amps for 5-6 years.

Can't say for sure, but I imagine the current offerings from Resolution Audio do the same.

jh901 likes this.
  5. jh901

Indeed. This DAC does boast a built-in attenuator and even a line in analog pre amp. I'm not sure if the digital and analog circuits are true end to end balanced, but that's not a rational expectation at this price.

6. jh901

And...where are the Benchmark Media DAC owners!? Gotta have some members who've tried the DAC3.

7. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

I have a DAC3 in one of my systems. It is a good but not great DAC and the volume control works very well. It is small, though. The Mytek (I have the Manhattan) is full width, but its volume control is done with left and right arrow keys, which I find hard to use.

jh901 likes this.
  8. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

My Emotiva DC-1 DAC sends its signal straight into my power amp.

jh901 likes this.
  9. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

Several of these manufacturers are calling the category DAC-preamp

10. jh901

Yeah. I'm looking to upgrade, but I want two components rather than 3. My line stage pre-amp is quite good, but not "ultra hi end", which realistically isn't happening. So, I can go for a nice traditional integrated amp to pair with my Playback Designs MPS-5 or I could sell that and my pre-amp and get an SACD player with volume control. I suppose my need for spinning CDs and SACDs is going to be the problem.

In any event, I figured that a survey of "DAC-preamp" market could prove useful.

I suppose that your Audio Note bests the Benchmark? By a convincing margin?

11. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

As you would guess, not a fair comparison! However, I was surprised at how much better the Mydek Manhattan is than the Benchmark DAC3. Yes, it is more expensive, but the DAC3 has such a good reputation. Oh, well, I guess it would be worse if it was the other way around.

jh901 likes this.
  12. William Bryant

jh901 likes this.
  13. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Using my Cambridge CXU as a preamp while my Classe preamp is in for recap...works like a charm:)

jh901 likes this.
  14. jh901

Appreciated! I'd like to dig a bit more into the types of volume control. So thanks for reminding me.

My current SACD player is fairly hi-end. No volume control. That Audio Note mentioned up-thread might run into some competition. Haha!

I'm trying to get a clear and convincing upgrade by going from 3 components to two. Hoping enough members pop in here to get a survey from entry level on up to relatively sane hi-end. And, honestly, it's much easier for me to keep my MPS-5 and figure out an integrated amp to beat my Cary Audio separates. But hey, I want to give this route some consideration.

15. William Bryant

I listen to CDs as follows:

NAD 516 CD player’s optical out > DC-1 DAC variable output > Iverson Eagle 2 amp > Harbeth or Vandersteen

Path is very simple. Results are very satisfying.

c-eling likes this.
  16. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

My Direct Stream DAC has digital volume control. But I prefer listening to it via a tube preamp anyways.

Ham Sandwich, gakerty and jh901 like this.
  17. jh901

So, for me, it's partly going to come down to how good the volume control design is. I suppose someone could drop in and sort of lend perspective on the DirectStream implementation within the context of a more ideal and most ideal design.

Separately, I don't think PS Audio's next transport will spin SACDs.

18. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

DC-1 user as well, been awhile since I've used it's remote volume (currently have it on fixed), but remember it being touchy.
    Compact Discs-Denon DCD 1500, 1986 -Variable out, nice smooth volume control.

19. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

SACD/CD PLAYER with volume control? Oppo 205

DAC (outboard) with volume control? RME ADI-2

ALL OTHER Digital front ends with volume control? Bryston BDA 3.14

jh901 likes this.
  20. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

FWIW: I play SACDs (as genuine DSD) almost daily through my DS DAC using my Oppo 103 as a transport. All that you need to do this is to install an OppoMod I2S card into your Oppo 103 or 203. In this way the DS/ Oppo 103 combo can becomes a two-box SACD player.

As far as the digital volume control goes, according to Ted Smith (the designer), due to how this control has been implemented, it loses no resolution as the volume level is decreased. And if there is any sonic degradation produced by it, then I can't hear it on my system.

jh901 likes this.
  21. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

I have 2 Mcintosh d100's. One I use as a dac only and the other I use a dac-pre and they work quite well either way. If I had to choose only one it would probably be as a dac only. But that's more than likely system dependent.

jh901 likes this.
  22. jh901

Yep. Relevant for many who may pass through this thread, but not explicitly for my ideal digital front end. Thank you for the info. And just to round it out, PS Audio has a better transport coming. Their claim. Unfortunately, no Sacd.

Sure, but there are different and perhaps better implementations that could perform so well that you prefer without your line stage pre.

23. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

If I’m wrong correct me, but I thought SACD output volume cannot be digitally adjusted without first converting to PCM, due to the nature of DSD processing.

Also, I once was convinced that analog volume control had to be superior to digital. I’ve since been convinced that digital volume control is far superior of its done right. If the signal is upsampled first, digital loses loses less resolution than analog and avoids channel imbalance and other issues.

I’m enjoying the contributions of those posting in this thread. Thanks!

timind and jh901 like this.
  24. jh901

I personally don't believe that digital volume control is inherently better, but it is critical for a few members to elaborate. What is today's cost no object digital volume implementation? Is it the case that analog volume control done right will be so good that pouring resources into super robust digital wouldn't make sense?

Does dCS offer volume control on their DACs, for example?

Realistically, the no compromise component system will have at least $20,000 each into power, pre, and DAC. Not happening for me. So, this thread can perhaps highlight the best alternatives for a two component "final state".

25. Zach_

Zach_ Forum Resident

No experience with it, but Schiit offers a two component switch with analog volume control. This is probably not much different than any digital source that offers volume control. My Denon CD player has two sets of analog out - one of which is attenuates via a front panel volume knob.

jh901 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.